joxey
Late Feb/March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Today marks the first day since winter started where there are no posts after the 12z runs(except Euro)   

Hello darkness our old friend 

My gut says we’re not done yet. But with the PSU storm looking like a fail, I think we have some time before we get a threat in the medium range. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Early March h5 look has improved some on the last few runs of the GEFS, with a temporary PNA ridge going up and a wave tracking east under a Hudson/Baffin ridge. Might be a chance here.

1709294400-xAUKemc3puI.png

Gfs op run at 12z is surprisingly cold at the surface

[[moved from other thread so the mods don’t have to]]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heisy said:

SSW magic still on the table, will be interesting see if see any changes in the LR with Atlantic blocking. I’m no expert in the Strat that’s for sure but it can’t hurt. 3 week lag time or so takes us to like end of first week of March.

Yeah we have a pretty good warming going on now. 

1.gif.0c50e1598529c7e9e0da394db05cff21.gif

The lag at this time of the year is 15 days, so that puts us into the first few days of march with -NAO correlation. 

Some models are showing an aggressive 2nd wave warming ~March 5-25. That one is +10-15 days, so March 15-April 5 -NAO correlation. 

The problem is the Pacific 500mb pattern.. we need a pattern change there.  Subsurface ENSO cold water has changed the PNA to negative, and with lingering -PDO the EPO is positive there.. our chance is that these cycles tend to happen every 40 days (MJO, etc), so after some time the -PNA tendency starts to wane a little. If we can time a Pacific change with favorable NAO in March, but we just have so much tendency toward a bad Pacific/warmth for March right now.. I've posted this earlier, but we have the highest 6-year anomaly for a 2-month period on records, by a good 20%. 

11.png.ec084f0ee3321a96f4ce1d9138a823c8.png

^ 3 Neutral/El Nino years happened within that, too. Just a really strong part of the cycle we are in. I would think if the NAO goes negative in March, its long term correlation would hold, and we would have more tendency to have a -pna/+epo pattern too. We'll see!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I’m ready for spring, tbh. Just waiting until March 1 to grade my temp and precip outlook. If it snows in march I’ll take it, but if it ends up being 60-70 degrees then all the better. 

I've got one more storm left in me, but otherwise...yea, I'm ready for Spring.

31 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

Called it early on Friday 

We can flip a coin on that one. :P

In all seriousness, I enjoy trying to locate potential in the LR, but it is high risk/low reward. I don't want a storm named after me. Look what just happened to PSU :yikes:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

We can flip a coin on that one. :P

In all seriousness, I enjoy trying to locate potential in the LR, but it is high risk/low reward. I don't want a storm named after me. Look what just happened to PSU :yikes:

Just curious, what is the risk?

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That's the Philly forum, and it does have a banter thread. I think he is talking about the Upstate NY/PA forum. Either way, that won't work here.

Yes and I wasn’t implying it would work. They have way less posters and they aren’t as serious. But it is nice when I’m in there not to have to remember which thread to say what in. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic