Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

6 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Here is the thing about moving to a snowier location. Most people fail to plan for when they can no longer do the snow removal themselves. People age out of it. Then it becomes a matter of hiring someone to do the snow removal work. That can get very expensive, very quickly.

Another thing is people get tired of always having to do the snow removal. My former neighbor has a place in Pittsburg NH. He has told me that some people move to Pittsburg for the winter activities but quickly grow tired of what can be daily snow removal.

There is a big difference in admiring a snowy location from afar than actually living in a snowier location. Same goes for people who move south. I've known numerous people who moved to Florida because they enjoyed the Florida weather during vacations BUT they hated living in Florida because of the unrelenting heat and humidity.

It’s definitely a move for a younger person that is in a more adventurous phase of their life. I can remember how difficult it was for the elderly back in my Long Beach days. Especially during winters like 93-94, 95-96, and 10-11. Many people couldn’t get out for days and had to have neighbors or friends bring food in or shovel their walkways. Most of the older people couldn’t wait to get to a warmer climate for the winter which was very understandable. There were few very hearty souls into their 70s that would be out in all the most extreme winter weather. I would see them down on the boardwalk or on the beach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s definitely a move for a younger person that is in a more adventurous phase of their life. I can remember how difficult it was  for the elderly back in my Long Beach days. Especially during winters like 93-94, 95-96, and 10-11. Many people couldn’t get out for days and had to have neighbors or friends bring food in or shovel their walkways. Most of the older people couldn’t wait to get to a warmer climate for the winter which was very understandable. There were few very hearty souls into their 70s that would be out in all the most extreme winter weather. I would see them down on the boardwalk or in the beach. 

And in the emergency room.....

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s definitely a move for a younger person that is in a more adventurous phase of their life. I can remember how difficult it was for the elderly back in my Long Beach days. Especially during winters like 93-94, 95-96, and 10-11. Many people couldn’t get out for days and had to have neighbors or friends bring food in or shovel their walkways. Most of the older people couldn’t wait to get to a warmer climate for the winter which was very understandable. There were few very hearty souls into their 70s that would be out in all the most extreme winter weather. I would see them down on the boardwalk or on the beach.

Older people seem to be much more sensitive to cold weather too.

I've maintained friendships with people who loved the cold weather when they were in their 20s, 30s and 40s, but once they hit their 60s, they can't stand cold weather anymore (with or without snow.)

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Older people seem to be much more sensitive to cold weather too.

I've maintained friendships with people who loved the cold weather when they were in their 20s, 30s and 40s, but once they hit their 60s, they can't stand cold weather anymore (with or without snow.)

i'm 61 and yes this is true. I worry much more about the ice, I am much less steady on my feet, and it hurts a lot more when I fall, and it takes a lot longer to recover. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

i'm 61 and yes this is true. I worry much more about the ice, I am much less steady on my feet, and it hurts a lot more when I fall, and it takes a lot longer to recover. 

My sister is 63 now and I worry about her because she insists on living alone.  And insists on doing everything herself.  The last time she was at my house, I could see she was getting dizzy and a little off balance and I asked her to rest for a bit-- and she hates that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Even Brooklyn got 12" in that one.  That was our last significant snowstorm wasn't it? It's been awhile...

I had 5” last 2/28 which was white rain in parts of the city and south shore. Was a very nice scene but was gone in 24 hours mostly. Besides that pretty much nada since that Jan 2022 storm. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Here in babylon Jan 2022 was wild. 

My house had about 14”. The dividing line between wild like you had and very good but not wild was around Dix Hills. There was definitely an accum decrease around there going north from Babylon on 231. Your area must have had over 20”. That sound enhanced area just crushed places from Wantagh to east of Islip for hours. 

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

My house had about 14”. The dividing line between wild like you had and very good but not wild was around Dix Hills. There was definitely an accum decrease around there going north from Babylon. Your area must have had over 20”. That sound enhanced area just crushed places from Wantagh to east of Islip for hours. 

I forgot how much of a gradient that storm had. I had about two feet and Nassau had like a foot 

A warming trend will get underway tomorrow The temperature could rise well into the 50s in New York City and into the 60s in Philadelphia and Washington, DC late in the week and early in the weekend.

The generally mild conditions will likely continue into at least the second week of February with only brief interruptions. No Arctic air is likely to reach the area during this time. As a result, the first 10 days of February could wind up 5°-7° above normal in New York City.

Potentially, New York City could wind up with a mean temperature of 40.0° or above during the February 1-10 period. Since 1869, there have been 9 prior cases. Five have occurred since 2000 and eight have occurred since 1990: 1952, 1990, 1991, 1999, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2020. Seven of those nine years saw less than 10" snowfall for the remainder of the season following February 10th. Only one saw more than 20.0" (22.7", 2005). The least was the trace of snow that fell in 2020. The mean snowfall was 7.2" while the median snowfall was 6.0". In short, were the February 1-10 temperature to average 40.0° or above, that development could be a reinforcing signal for a below to much below normal snowfall season.

The second week of February will likely see the evolution toward a sustained colder pattern begin late that week. Overall, February will likely wind up warmer than normal, even as the second half of the month could see a sustained period of colder weather.

Single-digit cold is unlikely in New York City. During February, cases with warm ENSO Region 1+2 anomalies see such lows at 55% of frequency as cold ENSO Region 1+2 cases during El Niño winters. During the second half of February, just 17% of cases with a PDO- saw single-digit cold during El Niño winters. January saw a strongly negative PDO.   

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +1.0°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.8°C for the week centered around January 31. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.87°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.83°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing. The ongoing El Niño event will continue to fade through much of February.  

The SOI was -41.69 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.040 today.

On February 4 the MJO was in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 2.092 (RMM). The February 3-adjusted amplitude was 1.954 (RMM).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

I forgot how much of a gradient that storm had. I had about two feet and Nassau had like a foot 

I drove from Long Beach where there was about 12”, east on Sunrise Highway then north on 231. Snow definitely increased around Wantagh then was highest around Deer Park/Babylon, then decreased again in Dix Hills to my house where there was about 14”. That band in SE Nassau and Suffolk was the difference maker. For hours Long Beach sucked on subsidence and light snow/blowing snow while that band crushed. Further east in Islip benefitted from being closer to the low. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Welp, I guess I'm an outlier. Turned 74 in January and still relish a good cold snow storm. I still enjoy stacking the firewood in the fall, putting away the summer patio furniture, tuning up the snow blower, and bringing in the shovels from the shed. (And staying optimistic for a winter storm or two) Am posting this from a cruise ship returning from the southern Caribbean and although the warm sunny weather was fun the storm system northeast of the Bahamas we're passing through now is just as enjoyable. Looking forward to lighting the fireplace Friday night and tracking that potential sysrem next week. No way We would move to a more warmer, dull climate. Oh well....

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Sorry for off-topic, but it warrants a response. There are plenty of places in the midwest that have seen snowfall drop precipitously over the past decade.

Cleveland

image.thumb.png.327106618eb6a7feb8d4591bf97c4d31.png

Columbus

image.thumb.png.29647acaa479dfd7af45808d7507fbc9.png

Toledo

image.thumb.png.0b58c5f49a4c1592caadd853a1544ac8.png

Saint Louis

image.thumb.png.0935531f736a3cc91a8a6d2fd78e485b.png

And there are plenty of places in michigan, minnesota, and wisconsin where snowfall totals are not dropping whatsoever. Coming back to Earth after the record snowfall stretch of 2008-2015? Absolutely. Falling overall? Absolutely not.

Screenshot_20240206_233524_Editor Lite.jpg

• Thanks 1