Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Will it ever begin? 

To this point… what’s the mechanism that *could* bring global temp anomalies back in line? We baked at a global scale this year- I’m not sure betting on a miraculous return to prior curve is a bet I’d make. 

22 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

890 ft. Not usually too bad in all honesty.

Get a window unit at least.  They tend to be pretty inexpensive these days.  My friend has a camp in Wakefield NH on a lake.  He has had window units there for about 5 years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Get a window unit at least.  They tend to be pretty inexpensive these days.  My friend has a camp in Wakefield NH on a lake.  He has had window units there for about 5 years.

The trigger shall be pulled on central AC at some point, but for now, I'll probably just suck up the few uncomfortable days. The house is fairly well shaded by trees in the afternoon during summer and triple pane windows help with insulation. If I end up with some type of window or floor unit it will be to help keep the humidity levels of the piano in check rather than for my own comfort, haha. I care more about it than me!

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The warmup looks nice. Good high pressure at times should make for some great days. 

Pattern looks like dogshit though once we get into the second week of March. Very cutoff-y looking. 

Eps and gefs are aligned as well as the ssw projections so yea, another blocky and cool early spring awaits. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I drew the 6hrly fropa positions for you. You can see the highest snow totals are closest to the front position since it’s calling that whole 6hr period as snow, but the most remaining QPF is to the east. 
image.jpeg.f9e8d014aec4787c1280fd2bd00490c3.jpeg

So much for that fantasy GFS anafront. It finally folded to FROPA like the other guidance has had for days

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

So much for that fantasy GFS anafront. It finally folded to FROPA like the other guidance has had for days

The GFS fantasy system is still there. As was discussed, it's the result of erroneous clown map generation which, for whatever reason, seems to plague vendor interpretations most frequently with the GFS (so yes, it ain't going to snow nearly as much as it is saying and never was, but it's still modeled as it was before for the most part). Here, I made a tool in Excel last night that allows you to input a few characteristics of a very simplified weather system in order to generate a QPF "map" along a geographic line. In this case, we put (in the yellow) a front moving at 50 kph with a width of 250km. The rate of precip. under the front is 0.05 in/hr. We then sample at the rate of one frame every 6 hours.

As you can see from the total QPF output graph, there are regions along our line where the sampled total QPF drops to zero. A tiger stripe (or anti-stripe) is forming every 300km (or every 6 hours) as a result. This is happening because we are under-sampling. For total QPF, the vendor products usually manage to not do this, but because there is such a large error in assigning precip type to QPF, the tiger striping artifact is showing up for reasons very similar to my model's.

I am going to add temperature to my model in order to more accurately produce the tiger stripe gradient artifact, but am too lazy right now.

Front Generator Snap.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Provide examples 

Spring cleaning in the front, cleaned my grill out, put winter stuff away, cut up some wood I need to stack etc. 

Amazing how many acorns were in the grass still. Also lots of moss ftl. 

• Like 3