• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup. It's all been a pretty textbook layout in the teleconnector projections going back a week or more actually.. .    Over the time, the ens mean of all three majors began materializing what that should actually like at hemispheric scales, and considering at the time we were looking at 2 and 3 week outlooks ... the coherence was impressive.

it's not bad at all. confluence is building in, Canada is pretty blocked up, and the PNA is rising quickly

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-7804000.thumb.png.fa42c0d0066b26d54ba46f095e546cb4.png

• Like 3

I get how some are concerned with suppression but I just don't see suppression being a large concern. Too me it seems like pattern during the favorable period would favor potential for cyclogenesis anywhere from just off the Delmarva to mid-Atlantic coasts. Doesn't necessarily mean we get crushed as storm track could still be slightly out-to-sea but not sure I would qualify that as suppression. 

15 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Oh look, another storm with no cold and a brutal cutoff SOP

Verbatim there’s a ton of cold and a great airmass, it cuts west before transferring so the mid levels warm south of the pike and a ton of mixing. All we can take out of this run is that it has a juicy storm again 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That storm has a decent airmass ad modeled.

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Verbatim there’s a ton of cold and a great airmass, it cuts west before transferring so the mid levels warm south of the pike and a ton of mixing. All we can take out of this run is that it has a juicy storm again 

Ya, I don’t know what Brett was looking at? There was a good cold airmass there on that depiction.  He still drunk from his vacation in N. Conway.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya, I don’t know what Brett was looking at? There was a good cold airmass there on that depiction.  He still drunk from his vacation in N. Conway.  

I mean it gets in low 30s at the coast, but it wasn’t bad to me overall.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Euro’s really the only thing that’s got a good airmass to force redevelopment. Ride the pony at your own risk. 

Ahh who cares at this lead, it’s a 9 day prog lol. Pattern change is just setting in at that point.  Ride anything at your own risk at 9 days.  We were Just talking ver batim on that particular run. 

44 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Euro’s really the only thing that’s got a good airmass to force redevelopment. Ride the pony at your own risk. 

The 13th system appears legit/in the pipeline regardless ... It's a matter of whether it benefits from the pattern modulation going on while it is transmitting through. 00z Euro jumped on board going from almost nothing identifiable, right to a long duration commitment to S of L.I. transit... when it also appeared to be abruptly faster and more coherent in pulsing the +d(PNA) forcing across the continent. Other than minor differences aloft, continuing that theme in the 12z. 

The GFS has had the system for 3 days actually.  But doesn't appear to have much +PNA ... going against its own ens mean.

The GGEM also has at least a paltry version...

All three operational runs have that space in time now reserved for something ...

Which given the overwhelming erstwhile super-synoptic weighting (tele's and ens mean layouts), firing up a thread is higher confidence (relative to this range).  The lower amplitude versions are less supported by the vast array of indicators.

Here's the thing.  The Euro is leading the GGEM and GEFs by moving it's mass fields toward the +d(PNA). It's version of 13th is acting much more like an H.A. event, with the flow plumbing along 100 W aft of the cyclone - it seems to be an index mode change entrance event.  

The other two models act as though they don't know where to take the pattern. Kind of wierd, but they look nondescript. The GFS solution out there in time doesn't represent a +2 SD PNA/ -d(EPO) very much at all ... In fact, it doesn't look like anything.  But the lack of modality doesn't help deepen the 13th like the Euro does ...so it ends up more middling and needle threading. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The 13th system appears legit/in the pipeline regardless ... It's matter of whether it benefits from the pattern modulation going on while it is transmitting through. 

The GFS has had it for 3 days actually.  00z Euro jumped on board going from almost nothing identifiable, right to a long duration commitment to S of L.I. transit... Other than minor differences aloft, continuing that theme in the 12z. 

The GGEM also has at least a paltry version...

All three operational runs have that space in time now reserved for something ...

Which given the overwhelming erstwhile super-synoptic weighting (tele's and ens mean layouts), firing up a thread is higher confidence (relative to this range). 

Here's the thing.  The Euro is leading the GGEM and GEFs by moving it's mass fields toward the +d(PNA). It's version of 13th is acting much more like an H.A. event, with the flow plumbing along 100 W aft of the cyclone - it seems to be an index mode change entrance event.  

The other two models act as though they don't know where to take the pattern. Kind of wierd, but they look nondescript. The GFS solution out there in time doesn't represent a +2 SD PNA/ -d(EPO) very much at all ... In fact, it doesn't look like anything.  But the lack of modality doesn't help deepen the 13th like the Euro does ...so it ends up more middling and needle threading. 

Yea that makes sense. I’m just leary, or weary, of a good airmass rushing into se canada and superseding a developing midwest shortwave. We’ve been stuck in this mode of not properly timing good airmasses, as rare as those have been in the first place. I think for us SoP folk, we need to get through another borderline cold rain event, or two, before we can drop our pants for the epic H5 maps to take hold. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I get your hesitation. It's been like that all winter long, but if there's some hope then there's hope.

4 hours ago, Hazey said:

Maritime storm update. Snowfall in my place is 15” (38cms) and still snowing. Probably will get a 20 spot out of this. Cape Breton destroyed. It’s Sydney’s White Juan. 2-3ft down and 1-2ft to go. This will be a generational storm for eastern parts of NS. Chase worthy.

I was curious what would happen if an atmospheric river set up in winter. Now I know. Pic from Cape Breton with lots to go. Wild. c61cdcb98c7e4b30b1389bcf512de86f.jpg

Yes indeed its absolutely insane with the amounts of snow. 

• Like 4