• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

1 hour ago, Hazey said:

I'm starting to wonder if the GFS is suffering from some sort of de-amplification bias. That s/w on the 1st is sailing off ESE to Bermuda. Been doing that a fair amount this season.

Other way around ...

the GFS, in fact ... all global models tend to over amplitude in the mid and extended range, and as the features get nearer upon future cycles, they correct downward.  

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Other way around ...

the GFS, in fact ... all global models tend to over amplitude in the mid and extended range, and as the features get nearer upon future cycles, they correct downward.  

Except when the GFS uses the N stream to bully the s stream and is too far se with storms.

42 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Except when the GFS uses the N stream to bully the s stream and is too far se with storms.

The same logic can be applied to the N stream, no?  I haven't looked at any verification %s recently but I'm fairly confident the gfs has improved slightly with that "bully". I'm sure someone knows offhand and can correct me.  NOT saying it (or other models, but it's been gfs bane) doesn't continue to do that or anything.

6 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i'm just basing it off of the general pattern progression... the one on the weeklies makes sense

you retract the Pacific jet and it leads to ridging over the WC and AK via an Aleutian Low. there's excess momentum leading to a trough over the SW US. that trough is expelled via the -EPO forming... that trough gets replaced by a +PNA

the SW US trough connects with the N Atl trough that's already present... this then leads to a E US trough as well as wave breaking that assists the development of a -NAO. at that point, you are left with the pattern on the weeklies

are the weeklies correct? who knows, they could absolutely be wrong. I can tell you that the progression they're showing makes a lot of sense, though 

If you live anywhere south of New England, you better pray that the weeklies are right about 2/15 and beyond because that’s put up or shut up time, last shot. You can’t kick the can anymore at that point. Too little, too late. If it fails, good luck punting mid-late February and hoping some storybook miracle happens in March, game over time then

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

really strong omega block showing up on the GEFS. wonder if you can get a bowling ball to slip underneath... would probably favor the MA but still intriguing

regardless, wouldn't be much of a torch here with flow coming out of northern Canada

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-6961600.thumb.png.84c1895ff7200aa3ea494620a9d218bc.png

heh... here's the arriving +PNA, annotated box below

image.png.954451ada4945d750fec6dba18e7430c.png

I've been noticing that the models are en masse transporting the PNA configuration into that region over the continent.  Bizarre ...   They start manifesting the +d(PNA) well enough ( basically now...) but before it can mature they dislodge the ridge and transport it to that location and park there.   Meanwhile, I don't know wtf to call that Pacific because the ridge around 140 W completely shuts down any polar or southern stream jet(s).  

It's all weird -

• Like 3

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

If you live anywhere south of New England, you better pray that the weeklies are right about 2/15 and beyond because that’s put up or shut up time, last shot. You can’t kick the can anymore at that point. Too little, too late. If it fails, good luck punting mid-late February and hoping some storybook miracle happens in March, game over time then

No one is kicking the can. Open your eyes and see what the models are showing.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

We've been kicking the can the whole winter-first it was big pattern change late Dec-that got moved to mid Jan, 8 days of cold and a couple minor/moderate events then right back to the torch now we waiting for something mid Feb....classic ratter type winter where it's always 10+ days away....and meanwhile the warmth is through the roof--torch December and even Jan will finish above normal....

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Read my frigging post. I didn’t say anyone kicked the can. I said, IF IT (mid-late February) FAILS!!!!!!!!! And IF it does, it’s too late to kick the can at that point. Stop with your attacks everytime you think someone dares to say anything but NYC is going to turn into an arctic cold tundra with feet upon feet of snow

• Weenie 2

Just now, snowman19 said:

Read my frigging post. I didn’t say anyone kicked the can. I said, IF IT (mid-late February) FAILS!!!!!!!!! And IF it does, it’s too late to kick the can at that point. Stop with your attacks everytime you think someone dares to say anything but NYC is going to turn into an arctic cold tundra with feet upon feet of snow

:weenie::lmao::poster_stupid:

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

We've been kicking the can the whole winter-first it was big pattern change late Dec-that got moved to mid Jan, 8 days of cold and a couple minor/moderate events then right back to the torch now we waiting for something mid Feb....classic ratter type winter where it's always 10+ days away....and meanwhile the warmth is through the roof--torch December and even Jan will finish above normal....

February was always supposed to be the wintry month according to many meteorologists 

• Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

i don’t think anyone is arguing that, but there’s no reason why that pattern wouldn’t occur. can you come up with an actual reason on modeling right now for that to go up in flames?

an actual reason, not just “if everything single thing possible goes wrong, the rest of the winter will suck.” that doesn’t count

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i don’t think anyone is arguing that, but there’s no reason why that pattern wouldn’t occur. can you come up with an actual reason on modeling right now for that to go up in flames?

an actual reason, not just “if everything single thing possible goes wrong, the rest of the winter will suck.” that doesn’t count

Never said I think it’s going down in flames. I have no idea whether it’s going to be right or not. We’ll know soon though