• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I think he’s still below 10”. He’s gonna need several good sized storms…esp if 1/29-30 is a no-go there. 

Things can happens fast in any favorable pattern but there’s never any guarantees. Sometimes you get 2-3 double digit storms in a 2 week period but other times you might just get one storm or maybe you get two smaller ones or maybe you get skunked despite a good look. 

Perfect example was the last two weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It’s just not ideal to send all our cold to the other side of the globe halfway through the season. I just hope we have time to recover from that beat the coast. NNE with get their snow regardless 

Its not ideal......but sometimes ideal patterns do not bare the fruit and suboptimal ones do. I think the big dog potential will still exist.

• Like 1

Just now, Allsnow said:

Outside of being correct, sure 

being correct and being able to provide an accurate picture of how the winter may play out are two different things. Feb could easily be AN from the first week and drop 30” in two weeks in the MA. how would one reconcile that in a forecast?

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

who knows. going AN every year does not provide much value, though

The reason he got 5-posted was he did this every year even 10 years ago when everyone was getting buried. Calling for the same thing over and over again provided zero value. 

Even went out of his way this year to confidently call 1/7 a miss. Again…zero value. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

You'll be more right than wrong though. Just how it is, unless you have a clear signal not to.

Yea, just need to look at the scoreboard. I need to find a better way to convey/adjust for that in my composites. Omega was 100% right about that...its constructive criticism. Def. not a bias, though.

• Like 1

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

being correct and being able to provide an accurate picture of how the winter may play out are two different things. Feb could easily be AN from the first week and drop 30” in two weeks in the MA. how would one reconcile that in a forecast?

We are discussing temps not a random event 

The reason he got 5-posted was he did this every year even 10 years ago when everyone was getting buried. Calling for the same thing over and over again provided zero value. 

Even went out of his way this year to confidently call 1/7 a miss. Again…zero value. 

that’s why i can’t give him too many props. something about blind squirrels

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

You can do both.....still include H5 composite and snowfall forecast. I went above normal temps and near normal snowfall this year. Don't be afraid to go "warm and snowy".

• Like 1

when wouldn’t you, then? weak ENSO? neutral winters? tough to say

Hasn't really mattered. You could argue weaker ENSO I guess for colder risks. You're best bet as someone who trades commodities like energy is to time the warm/cold spells during winter vs predicting HDDs for an entire winter.

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You can do both.....still include H5 composite and snowfall forecast. I went above normal temps and near normal snowfall this year. Don't be afraid to go "warm and snowy".

from a perspective of providing actionable information to clients, which is what i do, “warm and snowy” will make their heads explode. that is tough to convey clearly for laymen 

i’ll put it this way. if 8/10 years are AN, then what is really “normal” at that point? when does a new one get defined? 

I agree with @bluewave

Our next cold winter will come out of nowhere and then we will know what to look for rolling forward. Whenever that is 

• Like 1

from a perspective of providing actionable information to clients, which is what i do, “warm and snowy” will make their heads explode. that is tough to convey clearly for laymen 

I guess its more of a concern for you because you are a professional with paying customers....I just forecast for @512highon my High School weather blog (thanks @jbenedet) :lol:

• Haha 11

We’ve had some warm and snowy winters recently…2020-21, 2016-17, 2012-13 were all “warm” and snowy around here. They still had long stretches of snow cover though.

Ironically, our coldest winter in the past 7 years was a bit BN for snow which was 2018-19. 

• Like 1

We’ve had some warm and snowy winters recently…2020-21, 2016-17, 2012-13 were all “warm” and snowy around here. They still had long stretches of snow cover though.

Ironically, our coldest winter in the past 7 years was a bit BN for snow which was 2018-19. 

2004-2005?

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

I agree with @bluewave

Our next cold winter will come out of nowhere and then we will know what to look for rolling forward. Whenever that is 

My guess is nobody will be able to forecast cold winters very well even after we get a few…the biggest reason is the AO/NAO has been largely stochastic. Nobody has been able to forecast them with any real skill months ahead. 

Maybe if there’s a wholesale change in the Pacific that favors +PNA/-EPO ridges like the 2013-2015 years then maybe…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

My guess is nobody will be able to forecast cold winters very well even after we get a few…the biggest reason is the AO/NAO has been largely stochastic. Nobody has been able to forecast them with any real skill months ahead. 

Maybe if there’s a wholesale change in the Pacific that favors +PNA/-EPO ridges like the 2013-2015 years then maybe…

TBH, my last few NAO/AO seasonal forecasts have been pretty good, which is ironic because my overall calls have (especially in terms of snowfall) regressed. When I was going better, I struggled in the polar domain.

Agreed. 

The last sustained below normal stretch down here in a winter month was December 2017 into January 2018. That was because of the +pna/-epo combo.