• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s def a +PNA. Looks where the anomalies are….low anomalies S of the Aleutians and higher anomalies in western Canada. 

It’s split flow though which is why we see the lower height anomalies in California and the southwest. That can be a great pattern for us if there’s cold around but we’d prob want to sharpen the ridge a little more to lower the heights over the northeast. 

You would know better then me, but imo it’s a -epo pattern with a trough stuck in the sw. Not to over analyze but all the cold anomalies are in the southwest. 

It looks like if the pattern was rolled forward it would improve with hgts rising 

27 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Even in this new era of warmth extremes, what is showing up to start February is way beyond what we have ever seen during an El Niño February. The highly amplified MJO over the WPAC is flipping the script. This would be extreme for December let alone in February when El Niño’s are supposed to be cold. Ridiculous how far into Canada the above freezing line gets pushed. 

22412767-FE63-4EF1-B21C-BF1034D5EEDA.thumb.png.df519a65670867039eed84814a877c2e.png
7F8852D2-9897-4B26-8AA6-A2D727F46BEC.thumb.png.397c0b3461cf70184224fc51be63d4b9.png

granted, you'd end up in quite a favorable pattern around the 10-15th as that SW trough slips under the Canadian blocking and the Aleutian Low maintains the -EPO/+PNA, but yeah, it would torch for a week before then. wave breaking could also lead to a -NAO. this is the same evolution extended guidance has, and it's similar to what happened this month when the Pacific jet overextended in late Dec

not sure if anyone really cares about any of that, though

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

13 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

granted, you'd end up in quite a favorable pattern around the 10-15th as that SW trough slips under the Canadian blocking and the Aleutian Low maintains the -EPO/+PNA, but yeah, it would torch for a week before then. wave breaking could also lead to a -NAO. this is the same evolution extended guidance has, and it's similar to what happened this month when the Pacific jet overextended in late Dec

Temps are shot....but funny thing is most of the region can still end up above normal snowfall if we grab one or two big dogs later in February and/or early March.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

It’s a torch of historic proportions, complete 180 to the PV overhead in the Midwest 

I was deinitely wrong about how much time we have spent in warm patterns, but I still think the snowfall can work out. I feel like this replica (Decemeber-January) pattern sequence that we are going to see unfold will be much more explosive and fruitfil late season than it was in earlier in the year.

18 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I'm pumped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this winter was always going to come down to one or two big ones. I don't see anything throwing a wrench in that right now

Its been warmer than you and I expected...no doubt. But the snow potential has been on point IMO....just a bit unlucky in December and then with the big pattern last week. And yes, that was an awful pattern in December and it should have sucked for snowfall, but the fact that interior SNE got just about literally skunked was a bit unfortunate....normally those spots would still sneak one half-decent event. Last week was definitely bad luck. But I expected a rough December and January for the coast in terms of snowfall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its been warmer than you and I expected...no doubt. But the snow potential has been on point IMO....just a bit unlucky in December and then with the big pattern last week. And yes, that was an awful pattern in December and it should have sucked for snowfall, but the fact that interior SNE got just about literally skunked was a bit unfortunate....normally those spots would still sneak one half-decent event. Last week was definitely bad luck. But I expected a rough December and January for the coast in terms of snowfall.

it's annoying that the warm periods are SO warm that they skew things. i feel like the overall tenor of the winter has been close to the same as forecast... shit Dec with next to no hope, a transitionary Jan that's still warmer than normal, and then a good to great Feb. the +EAMT just pushed things back a week or so, but there's no way to see that in November

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't see how I sniff close to normal at this point. I'm not 100% on a big back half of Feb.

• Like 2

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

it's annoying that the warm periods are SO warm that they skew things. i feel like the overall tenor of the winter has been close to the same as forecast... shit Dec with next to no hope, a transitionary Jan that's still warmer than normal, and then a good to great Feb. the +EAMT just pushed things back a week or so, but there's no way to see that in November

I feel like @qg_omegamay have had a point when he said that we need to do a better job accounting for GW with respect to the seasonal temp forecasts.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I don't see how I sniff close to normal at this point. I'm not 100% on a big back half of Feb.

We just don’t know how long the transition will take to a cooler pattern in the east. We are getting a repeat of last December in the next 2-3 weeks then see what happens mid month. 

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is fair.

It’s just not ideal to send all our cold to the other side of the globe halfway through the season. I just hope we have time to recover from that beat the coast. NNE with get their snow regardless 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You average 50"? How much do you have?

I think he’s still below 10”. He’s gonna need several good sized storms…esp if 1/29-30 is a no-go there. 

Things can happens fast in any favorable pattern but there’s never any guarantees. Sometimes you get 2-3 double digit storms in a 2 week period but other times you might just get one storm or maybe you get two smaller ones or maybe you get skunked despite a good look. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You average 50"? How much do you have?

Around 9" I think. If you use the more long term (not 30 yr) probably more mid 40s avg. The only way I may entertain it is if we get 6+ next week. Otherwise I don't see anything that says "wow" to me for a good Feb at the moment. Sure it could happen..but just what I see. 

• Like 1