• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Potential Ice Event

3 minutes ago, mimillman said:

It’s really bad out. Side streets and sidewalks totally iced over. Could barely walk the dog. If this continues overnight it’s going to be really dangerous for tomorrow morning commute and I don’t think people really get it 

Literally couldn't get my 2wd stick shitbox out of the neighborhood. Main roads were okay. Pull up to point B and the second my feet hit the ground I fall out of my car onto the ice-covered ground. 

Sidewalks and side roads are awful. Ironically they are the only thing with ice accumulation since I guess the surface of things like tree branches and parking signs and cars not sustained cold enough. However in my opinion makes it more dangerous. Very rare to see it like this here 

12 hours ago, Frog Town said:

If my temp is 34 in Toledo and dewpoint is at 32, we've essentially hit our wet bulb max, correct.  Not much more room for evaporational cooling is there?  HRRR seems to be verifying too cold.  

Any chance you were out and about this morning there? I was also worried in the evening when I saw the warm surface temps, but I saw a lot of schools closed and I saw some reports of very icy conditions. Curious to hear how bad it actually was or wasn’t. TOL never got below 34 degrees 

23 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Any chance you were out and about this morning there? I was also worried in the evening when I saw the warm surface temps, but I saw a lot of schools closed and I saw some reports of very icy conditions. Curious to hear how bad it actually was or wasn’t. TOL never got below 34 degrees 

When I was out main roads weren't too bad.  Most side roads I saw still had a coating of ice/slush at 10 am.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OHweather said:

Sure enough surface temps of 30-31 did us all in.  Glazed up everywhere and was an easy call with schools this morning.  Just so different than the normal ice storm set-up(NE dry feed, 3M temps below freezing, etc.)  Really made me second guess the eventual outcome.  Thanks for chiming in though.  

• Thanks 1

Ended up being fairly uneventful around here.

The ground (Roads/sidewalks/etc) glazed up, due to the residual effects of the recent cold. However, ice didn't accumulate on any other surface, due to marginal temperatures and dew points.

Flew into DTW on my way back from Pensacola yesterday (was cold AF down there but that's another story) and our flight was delayed by about 30 mins so they could top off the fuel just in case we had to go into a holding pattern. DTW was reporting FZRA and the captain said our diversion was CMH (to booing in the cabin lol). Luckily we had a brisk tailwind and only arrived 15 minutes late, and DTW switched to just rain. roads were crap heading Downriver around 11:30PM, but my drive back to Waterford this afternoon entailed just wet roads.

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Yep, biggest storm of the year here at my place. 3" with 5" on the ground. Temp has risen to 33F though 

That's great. We're getting heavier snow now. Been on and off throughout the day but close to 2" so far. 

7 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

We got a bit of freezing rain this morning, but the snow part is a dud.  It briefly switched to snow and dusted the pavement, but then switched back to light rain.  We were counting on dynamic cooling, but the precip is too weak.

Had some fat partially melted flakes slapping the windshield on the drive in to work this morning, but otherwise was a 100% rain event here.