Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Snow on Snow: the this always works until it doesn't thread

psuhoffman

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

00z GFS is okay Baltimore-north. Further south I think the rates are so bad it’ll be scenic and make the snow piles a hair fluffier.

b00d25fda027ed7e00adb8efe54e474f.jpg

map ninja’d

Will look wintry Friday and refresh the snow.  Getting us primed for our February HECS when this map becomes the 30 min snowfall map.

• Like 3

First and last call: anyone getting an inch out of this will be super lucky. It's all at my place. I could drop some off just call 1-800-GOT-SNOW. 

Seriously, I hope it works out better, if only this departing low (now near Yellowstone Park) wasn't being sheared to bits by terrain, and forced to compete for space on Thursday with an arctic high, and it could just glide across the central plains states to VA, then I would say 5-8 inches easy. And it could almost work out that way, a surface circulation may not necessarily always be in evidence, but if the vorticity stayed intact and could trigger a low in KY or WV by late tomorrow, that is a route to getting 3-5 inches at least. But I have a feeling the GFS is correct and it will be a weak norlun feature into Ohio, giving PA-NJ-NYC 1-2" and your region Tr to 1.0" in general (agree on 4-6 west of Blue Ridge).

Fingers crossed this plucky little storm can find a way across the hostile arid plains. I did so there's that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Late night report, 3km shifts the precip about 100 miles of 18&0z. Gets substantially more precip into the DC N crew, especially the northern burbs. HRRR also shifted south similarly, though not quite as much yet. 

followed up a pretty damn robust 0z euro run 

What can you do.  Onward and upward toward Feb.  after next weeks spring preview.  Fresh start 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

What can you do.  Onward and upward toward Feb.  after next weeks spring preview.  Fresh start 

You might be right, but I said it shifts the precip south, so did HRRR. May be too late to get NoVa folks, but there have been some decent runs in the overnight window

When I saw how NAm was handling pressure, popping out a low over VA, I expected snowfall zone to be shifting south further, and it looks odd to have the streak of snow in montana and SD when the storm has shifted towards southeast ID and into WY. It would make more sense to depict snow in NE, s IA, c IL, IN and then KY, WV and VA.

Let's see what GFS does in response to what I would expect to be much better sampling of western low's dynamics now that it has been over land for nearly 24h. Skies cleared out here with a measured 17.5" of dry powder, I don't do core samples but it shovels easily so I would guess perhaps 0.60" to 0.80" liquid. No wind so it just settles slowly. 

Would keep an eye on snow reports later today from places in NE and IA into central IL-IN, if you see 2-4" amounts it may be a sign the fast-paced low is keeping some organization and could redevelop by evening in Ohio, nKY, WV. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic