Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Depressing that it looks like we might go another year without a HECS. We have to be closing in on the longest gap in between HECS that we have ever had.

83-96 was a long damn time 

• Like 6

Depressing that it looks like we might go another year without a HECS. We have to be closing in on the longest gap in between HECS that we have ever had.

Wouldn’t be historic if we had them every year or even every two years. MECS / SECS are way more common than HECS+. There’s a reason it’s considered historic.

Also, a week to reload the pattern / cold doesn’t have any impact on whether or not we see a HECS between early feb - march. I get being jaded from the past few years but man, you really do always look for the negatives. No model, especially a long range ensemble or the weeklies, is going to be able to tell you whether or not we see a HECS by winters end. The same exact models could show a HECS potential tomorrow. Wouldn’t worry so much about things that are several weeks out.

10 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Wouldn’t be historic if we had them every year or even every two years. MECS / SECS are way more common than HECS+. There’s a reason it’s considered historic.

Also, a week to reload the pattern / cold doesn’t have any impact on whether or not we see a HECS between early feb - march. I get being jaded from the past few years but man, you really do always look for the negatives. No model, especially a long range ensemble or the weeklies, is going to be able to tell you whether or not we see a HECS by winters end. The same exact models could show a HECS potential tomorrow. Wouldn’t worry so much about things that are several weeks out.

I am not worried about a week or so relax. I am worried about the NAO.

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

When there’s a strong -NAO in the first half of a season (esp El Niño), it tends to return later. Happened in 2009-10 and many other such winters.

I think a big storm is fair game for later this season. This isn’t 2010 or 1996, but it sure isn’t last year either.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, anotherman said:

93?

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

93 sorta counts. But yeah, that was a long stretch. But I was only 10 in 93 so…..

93 was obviously a HECS, but not based on snow totals along I95

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

5 minutes ago, Fozz said:

It was historic for the N/W areas and interior. Naso much for the coastal plain.

IMG_9630.jpeg.ab0033cf2647a47915a08ff9f72ad20e.jpeg

Easily MECS level in the cities, and definitely historic and possibly an all timer in the interior. I can’t speak for it but those in the blue and white areas who are old enough to remember truly witnessed something exceptional.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Correct. We had something like 8 or 12 inches of snow followed by 5 inches of sleet that compacted it all down into a washboard of ice that stayed on the neighborhood streets for weeks. Was my daughter's 2nd birthday and we had relatives over for a party while the 'storm of the century" played out.

24 minutes ago, jayyy said:

2021-03-29_Captain-Obvious.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anotherman said:

I grew up in the Philly suburbs and it had a huge impact there. Not 95, I know. But close.

Grew up in SW Baltimore County. I remember 3 storms that closed school for a week: 2003 (my senior year of HS), 1996, and 1993. 1993 was close to my eighth birthday. I moved out to California and lived there for well over a decade, and missed the 2009-2010 winter, the 2016 winter...and arrived for our current dry spell. I haven't experienced a real storm in 21 years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I’d take a look at bob’s posts from the past few weeks. The likelihood of having a big block in place the entire winter is quite low. I highly doubt we see the NAO flip positive and remain positive through end of winter. If anything, we likely see the block erode (neutral to slightly positive NAO) before reloading again by Valentine’s Day, which isn’t the worst thing in the world. It can still snow with a neutral or slightly positive NAO if you have some other factors working in your favor. You’re clearly big dog hunting (nothing wrong with that) and many of those have occurred when the block is decaying or the NAO is trending positive.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Clearly not that obvious since numerous people in this subforum obsess over HECS like they are supposed to hit us seasonally

We've been spoiled with the big ones for a long time, especially from 1996 to 2016. When half of DC and Baltimore's top 10 snowstorms in the last 130 years were in that 20 year period, then you know it's been a golden age for the mid-Atlantic HECS.

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/winter_storm-pr#TopDaySnowfall

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fozz said:

We've been spoiled with the big ones for a long time, especially from 1996 to 2016. When half of DC and Baltimore's top 10 snowstorms in the last 130 years were in that 20 year period, then you know it's been a golden age for the mid-Atlantic HECS.

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/winter_storm-pr#TopDaySnowfall

I don’t think that is a coincidence, tbh. 

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

IMG_9630.jpeg.ab0033cf2647a47915a08ff9f72ad20e.jpeg

Easily MECS level in the cities, and definitely historic and possibly an all timer in the interior. I can’t speak for it but those in the blue and white areas who are old enough to remember truly witnessed something exceptional.

It is THE all timer along the Apps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It is THE all timer along the Apps.

I lived west of Winchester at a little over 1000 ft in elevation. Snow depth when it was over was 22-24 inches but that was with hours of sleet in the middle and 48 hours of compaction. Have to imagine snowfall was close to 30”. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic