• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday, January 9 Rain and Wind Storm

Weather Will

I'm not seeing the big wind threat for most of the area (except southern sections and areas along the Bay) until dinner time and especially later.     Temperatures will be slow to rise tomorrow;  I think we have to get into the low to mid 50s before we can really mix, and that's not going to happen until much later in the day or early evening.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, high risk said:

I'm not seeing the big wind threat for most of the area (except southern sections and areas along the Bay) until dinner time and especially later.     Temperatures will be slow to rise tomorrow;  I think we have to get into the low to mid 50s before we can really mix, and that's not going to happen until much later in the day or early evening.

Agreed, surface inversion is going to hold tight. Bay is pretty cold as well, that should discourage mixing the bigtime gusts. Straight pressure gradient is going to still kick it to gale force though (35 kts). Need an anemometer on top of the bay bridge.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wxmeddler said:

Agreed, surface inversion is going to hold tight. Bay is pretty cold as well, that should discourage mixing the bigtime gusts. Straight pressure gradient is going to still kick it to gale force though (35 kts). Need an anemometer on top of the bay bridge.

Or a mesonet.

There is an anemometer on the bay bridge.

In addition my anemometer is near the bridge but exposure to winds during this storm will be slightly sheltered (wind directions are off shore for me, so mixing to the anemometer height is impacted by trees and houses a bit, especially after the winds reach south of due southeast) so I might not read peak. Link in my sig to my weather station.

7 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Dear lord, I am turning into @mattie g in real time. It's windy RAIN for petesake. 

I can understand counties along the bay closing early as tidal flooding is going to be a big concern. combo wind/rain will make traffic/bus routes really shitty later. 

Even canceling after-school activities makes sense, just get everyone home. 

With that said, I had numerous parents at the dance studio last night asking wtf was coming that would be so bad to close schools early lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mdhokie said:

HoCo is closing 3 hrs early! Bah! Back in my day we walked uphill both ways in the rain. Newspaper for shoes too daggummit!

I guess if we can’t get a snow day, we’ll become California and close for heavy rain and wind.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I guess if we can’t get a snow day, we’ll become California and close for heavy rain and wind.

Just need: mudslides, massive wildfires, and earthquakes. Then we will be the east coast CA

The complaining about school closing thing always makes me chuckle. Personally I wouldn't want to be the person making the call snow rain wind or otherwise because it's never the right decision regardless 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Dear lord, I am turning into @mattie g in real time. It's windy RAIN for petesake. 

I can't comment on other counties but I can understand Calvert closing early. If our high wind warning forecast were to verify, it would likely be the worst winds since since March 2018 (which schools also closed for). That caused a LOT of damage in this county, and there wasn't wasn't even any rain with it. Tropical storm conditions are essentially being forecast IMBY, but without an actual tropical storm.

I got 3 evaluations for repairs to my gutters over the holidays. Would have been nice if 2 of the 3 could actually send price estimates so I could have had the repairs done before our 5th heavy rain event in the last month…

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

The 12z HRRR seems pretty robust on wind. Haven't followed the past few runs but I seem to recall it had much lower gusts than the outlandish models showing widespread 60+

ETA: RRFS is robust now as well. 

You are correct.  The HRRR has definitely stepped up winds since yesterday.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

You are correct.  The HRRR has definitely stepped up winds since yesterday.

Still probably safest to bet against 60mph winds inland away from the bay...but poking around the various models it does look like many of them now seem to "agree" on a swath of the higher end winds sweeping across the Central Maryland area...probably coinciding with that forced line later this afternoon/evening. Maybe we mix down a brief period of 60+ on a wider scale than expected. Otherwise, probably 40-50 tops still. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic