• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

18z GEFS pretty much aligns with the damped wave idea on the op. Less precip as it moves eastward into the MA. Not awful, but defo not the 12z run.

Just to reiterate, the 12z GEFS was one of the better runs for the MA for this window. Signal for frozen through our region was quite good for this range.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

18z GEFS pretty much aligns with the damped wave idea on the op. Less precip as it moves eastward into the MA. Not awful, but defo not the 12z run.

Just to reiterate, the 12z GEFS was one of the better runs for the MA for this window. Signal for frozen through our region was quite good for this range.

Yeah, it looks suppressed this run. Not the worst problem to have at this range though

• Like 4

Appears regardless of meeting the criteria for an official SSWE ( u wind reversal ) just the fact that the PV continues under pressure and will likely remain weak is the main takeaway according to Tomer and Dr Lee.

• Like 2

What would change in just 6 hours in the ensembles world
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

They’ve looked good all year. Where is your snow?

Trying to be positive.  Point is that it looks like it will stay seasonal around the 21-25 or so and then turn sharply colder again as we enter February.  I would love one big storm. 

• Like 4

Trying to be positive.  Point is that it looks like it will stay seasonal around the 21-25 or so and then turn sharply colder again as we enter February.  I would love one big storm. 

lol your positivity usually lasts for about 6 hours
I think the idea of a great winter is over. Now are are 1983 2016 hunting
  • Like 5
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

They have maybe 0.5% more skill than throwing darts. Mostly printing out old El Niño analogs from what I’ve seen

Honestly for the last couple years the best model has been the Panic Room thread.  Basically just get your winter weather forecast from there and it's been pretty accurate.  No fancy models needed. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Real question: What good are the weeklies? Isn't that like...impossibly far out?

They're good for looking at the northern hemisphere and how things could evolve. When I look at the weeklies above it makes a lot sense to me. Epo ridge still there but higher heights/pressure squeezing back into the NAO region. So the idea of blocking flexing after the TPV does the do-si-do around the pole and heads south again. Adds some confidence to my thoughts earlier about how we move thru the month. 

What the weeklies aren't good for is snowfall/storms or anything specific. I only use them to know whether to close my blinds or not. Right now they remain open. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

We know it is going to rain tomorrow and Saturday.  Until these two storms clear the field I think it is very difficult trying to figure out next week.  Sunday- Monday will be interesting to watch the model runs.

We shit the blinds for 7 days as we reload and regroup. Plenty of time still and no shortage of chances. 

• Like 1

The next two systems are very powerful storms, and like WW said, I don’t think there’s any way to know what happens after that until the cutters actually clear the field. Maybe we get a better idea in focus once the first one reaches SE Canada.

• Like 5

Unfortunately not happening with that MJO phase 4 wave. The pacific ocean has been really cutting our winters short the last 4 years with a pacific firehouse, -PNA and the MJ0 lag in the MC. 

Meh, MJO impact is overrated. We’ve seen too many phase 8-1’s fail and phase 4-5 succeed to believe it’s somehow the end all be all for our chances to get snow. A factor? Sure. One of a many. But the MJO is always so overblown on this forum.

11 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

Unfortunately not happening with that MJO phase 4 wave. The pacific ocean has been really cutting our winters short the last 4 years with a pacific firehouse, -PNA and the MJ0 lag in the MC. 

I've been wondering about that. How are we getting the polar vortex to swing through during a strong phase 4?

1 hour ago, leo2000 said:

The same models runs that predict the mjo also predicted that look. You can’t separate one from the other. You’re choosing to believe the mjo forecast but not the rest of the output from the same run!  Cherry picking. Besides the mjo is out of phase 4 by around Jan 17th.  The mjo is likely why the guidance has a temporary breakdown of the pattern around Jan 22-28th. That’s the lag. 

A hostile mjo wave in mid January won’t cause February to be bad. Maybe Feb won’t be good but it won’t be because of what the mjo was on Jan 13-17th!   It’s actually so ridiculous I honestly wonder if you’re trolling. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

Meh, MJO impact is overrated. We’ve seen too many phase 8-1’s fail and phase 4-5 succeed to believe it’s somehow the end all be all for our chances to get snow. A factor? Sure. One of a many. But the MJO is always so overblown on this forum.

Precip/waves aren’t our issue. We do that generally well. It’s either cold enough or it's not…simple as that. I’m all in on tracking blocking. Without that, it’s a struggle to even get a clipper.