Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Has there been a model run minus the 12z Canadian where you haven’t been forecast a 1’ or more of snow?

Maybe I’m naive, but I’d be willing to wager a good sum that I-81 gets a 6”+ snowstorm at this juncture. Imagine the stress you’d be feeling in the lowlands

Oh I know the lowlands stress. That's why I moved :)

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4

Although the SE Canada high retreated NE a bit, allowing the warm nose a bit north, note the second H north of MN. That’s new - wasn’t there before. Could be a new trend with better backside snows. Or it could be a blip?

IMG_5852.thumb.png.a9b6ac9db8148c585f740c727a4ee873.png
IMG_5853.thumb.gif.e7c87bcef247adcde9f4fb9c473ca2ca.gif

• Like 4

Just now, AtlanticWx said:

i think the panic comes from the tight gradient and the fact that we're still so far out

I mean the panic over one run. Sure if we get 6 straight runs like this i get it. Either way for my neck of the woods i would take this in a heartbeat. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, umdterps29 said:

Question on these maps… is there a real mixing risk out at Deep Creek or is that just some weird output with these types of maps?

Most likely a Wx Bell output issue.  850s are below 0 at Deep Creek throughout the storm.  If the primary tracks into the OH Valley and ruins the mid levels, Deep Creek could mix.  

I’ve seen in these setups, unless the primary tracks well into the oh valley or the coastal is tracking over central VA, Deep Creek will stay snow.  Deep Creek will stay snow in these setups while Snowshoe and Canaan may flip to sleet or rain given their higher elevation, depending on the setup.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

I would sign on this in a heartbeat. Not sure what all the panic is about. 

I would too, but I’m not sure I believe this map if it were to play out with those temp profiles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

I would sign on this in a heartbeat. Not sure what all the panic is about. 

Like my mother in law, we just like to complain about anything and everything. Good or bad. Man I hope she’s not reading in here tonight. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ravensrule said:

I hear you. Regardless it’s one run. I’m not sweating anything. 

Yeah at this point cautious optimism is the way to go. A lot could change. It’s great to have a legit storm to track. And best of all if this doesn’t work IMBY there’s always ski country.

• Like 1

GFS temps are at or above freezing for a good chunk of the event.    Snow of course can absolutely accumulate at those temps with good rates, particularly if it falls after dark Saturday night, but 10:1 is likely to be too high for the SLR.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

My Uncle and Cousins lived in NW Ohio. They never get over that one. Amazing ! 

That was big news for quite a while..I think some already said 50+ Sustained for like 20 consecutive hours, wasn’t there an  insane 82 mph  gust?  Rare  for east coaster me to remember one there, The 28.12 lowest baro around here March 1993 had lengthy 40+ sustained but not 50+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Speaking of 12z CMC, 00z sticks to that script. FRZA for favored zones. Rain for the rest. Definitely one of the worst case scenarios

were not getting freezing rain. its either snow/sleet or rain

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

here is dynamic slr/cobb ratio(takes in account all layers of atmosphere + rates better)
image.png.47a5d686f19f243dbb94da416ba0c680.png

Looks great to me. Not so much for DC. I’m due though, I basically got skunked last time when DC got 10”. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3