Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

4 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Yeah, that first system is just off CA about to enter the conus. I don’t know if sampling is a thing anymore like it was 10-15 years ago, but I think @Eskimo Joe mentioned it a page or two back

I don't care what others say, until the southern jet feature is inside the North American RAOB network, wild swings occur. During the Dec 2009 snowstorm, there was a RAOB site (New Orleans?) that was launched late and they didn't get in for the 00z GFS. The result was a dry looking 00z GFS/GEFS that freaked a lot of people out. Thankfully someone here caught it in the NCEP model diagnostic disco (I think it was either you or @WxUSAF). Color us shocked when the 12z GGS/GEFS snapped back to a big storm. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

And interesting to see a more pos tilt on that wave. As long as it doesn’t close off, it might delay the turn up north and keep i-95 in the game. Usually these things trend the other way

Thats was what I was trying to suggest earlier. We've yet to see a real 'trend' imho. We havent even reached the windshield wiper stage yet on guidance. This is still a week away folks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WesternFringe said:

Because saying it would’ve been different if it were 5 to 10° colder on every storm in the winter is a meaningless thing to say.  Of course it would.  That goes for anywhere and any climo.  So why keep saying it?

There are plenty of storms where a colder antecedent airmass wouldn’t matter because the storm is likely to cut way west of us no matter what the temps in front are based on the flow. 

But more importantly when we actually do get snow (I know crazy thought) often there was a good enough antecedent airmass that another 5 degrees wouldn’t help. Might even hurt!  Its just been so long…but our last snowy month January 2022, not the first wave as the cold arrived that was crazy and unusual…but the rest of the snow that month it was plenty cold. Maybe too cold!  Maybe that one coastal bomb doesn’t miss us if it’s not so cold.  And 5 degrees colder wouldn't have helped on the MLK weekend snow to rain event either. It was plenty cold. That’s why we got decent snow with an inside track. The issue was the primary cut due to where the upper low cut off and the trough axis. The mids were doomed regardless.  

But if you put the airmass we’re likely to have next week in front of that storm and places west of 95 that got a 2-4” snow likely get nothing from that same setup!  A colder airmass gives us more wiggle room for all these variables to be less perfect and still snow.  

I know it seems like we never have that lately…and we haven’t…but guess what THATS WHY ITS NOT SNOWING. This isn’t some freaking mystery. The snow gods don’t hate us. We’re not just getting unlucky. It’s not snowing because it’s just not been cold enough 90% of the time recently!  

• Like 3
  • Weenie 3

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Hey all - this is a post from this particular poster you 100% need to study.* Thanks for the input, Pete. 

*If you all don't know, he's on the desk at WPC so...yeah. When Pete drops by to speak, listen and learn. 

Yeah. He’s okay I guess :P

In complete agreement with @wxmvpete 

I mentioned earlier today that we haven’t sorted out many of the minor details within the mid and upper pattern leading in. There’s feedback mechanisms that will lead to the storm potential and those will take time to solve. 

This doesn’t even account for minute details of the thermals once we get closer, so long as there’s a storm to follow for our area. Complexities abound. 

Just remember, it’s still a ways before the impact time frame. Relax, follow along, and don’t live with each model run. We have a long way to go

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Yeah. He’s okay I guess :P

In complete agreement with @wxmvpete 

I mentioned earlier today that we haven’t sorted out many of the minor details within the mid and upper pattern leading in. There’s feedback mechanisms that will lead to the storm potential and those will take time to solve. 

This doesn’t even account for minute details of the thermals once we get closer, so long as there’s a storm to follow for our area. Complexities abound. 

Just remember, it’s still a ways before the impact time frame. Relax, follow along, and don’t live with each model run. We have a long way to go

OF course everyone should be paying attention to Millville obviously (but I presume you all already know that!)

• Haha 1

Confluence can and does trend stronger as an event nears. There are not many upper air sites in eastern Canada. See the Dec 2009 event. There was forecast to be a sharp snowfall gradient in PA and as the event closed a piece of the confluence was analyzed by the RAOB network in the northeast US. It caused the snowfall forecast for central PA to bust too high.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Confluence can and does trend stronger as an event nears. There are not many upper air sites in eastern Canada. See the Dec 2009 event. There was forecast to be a sharp snowfall gradient in PA and as the event closed a piece of the confluence was analyzed by the RAOB network in the northeast US. It caused the snowfall forecast for central PA to bust too high.

In the Jan 2010 event, the confluence was modeled way too strong and a storm that was supposed to give us flurries gave us 7” here 24 hours later. It works both ways.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Looking to next Sunday we have some NFL action possibly in the snow:

1. Dallas at Washington

2. Eagles at New York 

May get to see a snow game?

Dallas will get creamed in the snow at Washington.

• Like 2

Looking to next Sunday we have some NFL action possibly in the snow:
1. Dallas at Washington
2. Eagles at New York 
May get to see a snow game?
I bet Dallas gets flexed to Sunday night

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1