Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Ji Case in point there have been 11 snowstorms of greater than 15” here since 1980.  Every one of them was also a big storm for you.  We share the same big storms.  

Jan 96: 36”

Feb 11 2010: 30”

Jan 2016: 28”

Feb 2003: 28”

Feb 83: 28”

Feb 5 2010: 27”

Feb 2014: 23”

Dec 2009: 18”

Feb 1987: 18”

March 93: 17”

Feb 2006: 16”

Yup and every one of those was big for me too!! :)

5 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

That makes more sense for Feb 2006. College Park clearly in the 8-12 and I am guessing it was much closer to 8 and possibly even a localized amount under 8. I am not sure why, but College Park always seemed to run warmer than surrounding areas. Do remember the February 2003 crushjob very well. That one hit us good down there, though again, not as hard as I got hit at home.

UMD has added a micronet to the Maryland Mesonet for College Park. Early results show a clear UHI.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

UMD has added a micronet to the Maryland Mesonet for College Park. Early results show a clear UHI.

I don't know if it is the metro or what. Obviously, it's probably even worse now than when I went there since the school and especially surrounding area has become far more built up than it was in the early and mid 2000's. But you would think with some of the green space there that it would help mitigate some of it. 

It’s definitely more fun when everybody gets blasted, and those storms seem more likely to be the synoptic monsters that drop a ton of snow anyway. Personally I’m never just rooting for a storm to hit me, I want to see it blanket the entire stretch from DC to BOS. I know that’s rare, we’re talking fantasy ideals. 

But those are the most fun storms. Get everybody in on the action, and it becomes a major and truly memorable event. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I don't know if it is the metro or what. Obviously, it's probably even worse now than when I went there since the school and especially surrounding area has become far more built up than it was in the early and mid 2000's. But you would think with some of the green space there that it would help mitigate some of it. 

Isn’t the elevation around campus between 100’ and 200’ above sea level ?  I lived in College Park for several years, near the beltway, and I think my yard was under 300’.

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i would not really focus on the ICON's thermals lmao

Because it’s been so cold otherwise lately. Snark aside it was just an observation. It’s Jan 7. We’re 10 days into a better pattern by then. Perfect storm track. Ya the icon thermals are probably a couple degrees too warm, and that would still be marginal for DC and that’s sad with that track on Jan 7. 

• Like 2