Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

8 hours ago, Saguaro said:

Got into Portland from Phoenix late Saturday night. Original plans were for southern TX but I pulled the plug on those Thursday/Friday. The departing storm was still spitting out snow from around 7k feet all the way down to around 900ft in PWM area where it changed to rain showers the rest of the descent. A pretty big difference from the 70s and 80s we've been getting in AZ. The snowcover is melting rapidly, already down to patches, hard to believe 18" fell a few days ago.

Starting from Harrison tomorrow morning and am thinking Norton, Canaan, Colebrook, Pittsburg or maybe Newport. Eustis to QC border area is a possibility too.

I may be looking there as well, but even though I'm familiar with the roads there, the paucity of off-road parking may be an issue.  Maybe Natanis Point Camps (north end of Natanis Pond) opened early, but if so, they're probably filled up.

These high clouds are going to screw things up a bit.  My feeling is that you still will see the eclipsed  sun but it will be slightly to the west at 3:30pm. towards slightly thicker cirrus.  That might block out the  corona, Bailey's Beads and planets.  

Looking at the traffic maps Franconia Notch has a 4 mile backup.  

Just sitting in Rochester, NY right now hoping the models are wrong. I might drive a bit east along the lake, but it doesn't appear that will make much difference at this point. Funny thing is that I did originally have hotel reservations for Magog, QC and we changed them a few weeks ago to Rochester, so we would go to Niagara Falls after. I feel bad for the folks who paid over $700 a night for hotel rooms here for clouds. I stayed free on points.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I may be looking there as well, but even though I'm familiar with the roads there, the paucity of off-road parking may be an issue.  Maybe Natanis Point Camps (north end of Natanis Pond) opened early, but if so, they're probably filled up.

Yea I have hesitation about that area and there's only one major road there. I'm probably headed to Canaan/Colebrook/Pittsburg.

Summer is always the best time to get an eclipse because there is a much lower risk of clouds. Not sure if it's worth the risk going to Alaska for the March 2033 eclipse because it's always cloudy that time of year, and Alaska is expensive enough already. But I really don't want to have to wait until 2045. Must be nice to live in southern Illinois and get two eclipses in a seven year span. I wish I had that kind of opportunity.

1 hour ago, Prismshine Productions said:

Still clear here on the eastern leg of VT

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

Reporting from Tupper Lake NY, so far these clouds are nothing to worry about. Bright sunshine and wispy cirrus. Hoping it’ll stay that way!

• Like 1

Sky conditions at ROC right now. So, I'm off to the Rochester Science Museum to see the two toed Sloth Exhibit and the eclipse planetarian show. So, at least I will see an eclipse on the big screen! . They don't have that in Newport, VT....lol7b3b28994416311401e5caf400ecc5d9.jpg

• Like 1

Stayed in Lincoln last night on route 3 and drove to Lancaster this morning. Took about 30 to 40 minutes to get thru the Notch this morning but then it was easy cruising. Staying at the Cabot Lodge just inside the totality area. Huge parking lot with unobstructed views. Not going back until Wednesday so no traffic worries for us later. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Stayed in Lincoln last night on route 3 and drove to Lancaster this morning. Took about 30 to 40 minutes to get thru the Notch this morning but then it was easy cruising. Staying at the Cabot Lodge just inside the totality area. Huge parking lot with unobstructed views. Not going back until Wednesday so no traffic worries for us later. Enjoy!

Lancaster gets just barely under totality.  If you can even a 5 or 10 mile drive further north is a darker and much longer eclipse.  At the edge of a solar eclipse each mile towards centerline adds quite a bit more time for totality

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Lancaster gets just barely under totality.  If you can even a 5 or 10 mile drive further north is a darker and much longer eclipse.  At the edge of a solar eclipse each mile towards centerline adds quite a bit more time for totality

I just checked.  Cabot Lodge only has a 45 second total eclipse.  Even the other side of Lancaster to the north adds 30 seconds.  You are so close to awesomeness but I would definately drive 15 minutes north.  Just my opinion who has seen a total

• Like 2

business as usual here in the schools-a few towns in CT letting out early but most are not.
Madison has April school break this week. They try to be different than the other towns. I don't think any other district is having school break this week.

35 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Dude, as an astronomy guy, get more north.

• Like 1

I just checked.  Cabot Lodge only has a 45 second total eclipse.  Even the other side of Lancaster to the north adds 30 seconds.  You are so close to awesomeness but I would definately drive 15 minutes north.  Just my opinion who has seen a total
Thanks for the tip. Traffic on 2 and 3 is getting pretty bad, so we are going to relax and enjoy it here. Parking lot looks like it will turn into a tailgate party and we have a beautiful view. Where are you watching?