Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

On 12/29/2023 at 8:51 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

None of these fuggin sources were .. jesus - cancel January if these first couple of opportunities fail. 

It's a wind blown -PNA/Chinook look in the 500 mb with positive hgt N-NE of Hawaii and a broad open trough through the west.  Not sure I see how that ends well for the E.   And it's not just that spatial version of it, either.  The numerical telecons have -PNA/+EPO, which makes it difficult to argue against. 

The only thing that would save that is the -AO/-NAO.   I would say 30 years ago ... not so sure with the climate now.  It's just one in many nuanced ways in which these circulation modes are being modulated by CC that I personally cannot ignore any longer.  However subtle or gross notwithstanding, it more than merely seems that when in a dilemma of diametric signals ( cold vs hot ) ... hot wins.  It's just a matter of by how much of a margin.

I'm looking at the 06z GFS and feeling satisfied eating shit (so to speak..).  Because yeah, made the call that there should be systems in place around those time intervals last week. Wee... but the jokes on us because, has anyone noticed that the 0 C 850 mb isotherm is always on the NW periphery of system structures?   It's never really IN the storm.  It's like the storms are oil and cold side is water

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's the western limb of the NAO crashing doing that - I'm certain of it.  The system isn't going W of DET - or having difficulty doing so with exertion back transmitting through the field.  How the f can it?   thing of the eddy structure - the whole flow at mid levels becomes a barrier jet.

It's a 24 hour miracle!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I saw that, is that even physically possible. 

Ha ha...  it is.

It is just unfortunate for storm enthusiasts that it's on a D10 chart and not on a D2 chart. 

I'll tell you ... not sure what your origin/age are but in 1997, Dec 23, one of the most spectacular ( unforecasted too!) choke snow falls unleashed shock and awe out of an isentropic explosion that drove people to do what you just did ...ask if it were even physically possible.

This fuckin thing dumped 23" of snow in 8 hours in N Worcester and Middlesex Co of interior eastern MA, where was forecast' 1-3" with as much as 5" in the elevations of wet snow.   The temperature never got above 30 ... in fact, I was living in Acton Ma at the time and know it never got about 27.  Straight down snow so heavy that you literally could not see more than several feet outside your window, fell for 4 hrs, shouldered on either side by 1 hour of 1/8th to 1/4 mi vis.  I measured a one hr 7.5" in that. We ended up at just shy of 18".  

Those kind of exotic "synergy" events do set up but they are by virtue of what that implies, extraordinarily rare.    Rarer still would be any GFS model run actually setting one up on a D10 chart and actually verifying.   lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It's a 24 hour miracle!!

Well ... it is what it is.  The -AO/-NAO appears to be exerting since ... Will it continue to exert?   hm

I'll tell you one thing:  all three ens sources have the EPO negative through the 5th before it starts rising.  It seems the lag of cold loading down to 40 N     it "might" have a feed back on helping things because if it's cold S/W of a NAO block that would actually help lower the heights over SE Canada to the 50/50 low.   Transitively ... that enhances confluence and you end up with a surface high ... I think we're seeing that in these GFS renditions - whether this all goes down this way?  we'll see.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well ... it is what it is.  The -AO/-NAO appears to be exerting since ... Will it continue to exert?   hm

I'll tell you one thing:  all three ens sources have the EPO negative through the 5th before it starts rising.  It seems the lag of cold loading down to 40 N     it "might" have a feed back on help things because if it's cold east of a NAO block that would actually help lower the heights in the SE Canada to 50/50 low.   Transitively ... that enhances confluence and you end up with a surface high ... I think we're seeing that in these GFS renditions - whether this all goes down this way?  we'll see.

Maybe it goes back to shit, but this is the exact point that I have been insisting would distinguish this season from terds like 1973. At least one of these should work.

• Like 2

Interesting how each successive system gains latitude, but outside of the first one rounding the bend late, these are west-to-east deals. At least there's finally an actual northern cold source -- the 850s are below freezing for the entire northeast almost the entire GFS run.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You can really see the SWFE configuration to the snowfall gradient with the blocking forcing more redevelopment to the NE.....Taunton>Tolland?

Going to be a gradient somewhere, Right now it’ looks to be the one on the 11th that has the SWFE look.

• Like 1