Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Just now, ineedsnow said:

way better this run though that was a big shift

Didn't take much for a GGEM improvement though...low bar...it was super flat at 00z....I'd like to see it amp up more in the next couple cycles.

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Differences are due to the PNA ridge IMO...its much taller on the GFS.

There are massive differences on the GFS and other guidance post-1/30 too....GFS really keeps the flow super amped and meridional while the GGEM and Euro really flatten out that western ridge and just push the whole thing east. The differences in sensible wx during the first week of February would be massive.

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

There are massive differences on the GFS and other guidance post-1/30 too....GFS really keeps the flow super amped and meridional while the GGEM and Euro really flatten out that western ridge and just push the whole thing east. The differences in sensible wx during the first week of February would be massive.

Funny how that flipped....a few days ago the EPS was nice and the GEFS are nasty.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Funny how that flipped....a few days ago the EPS was nice and the GEFS are nasty.

GFS essentially turns the western ridge into a temporary block so it doesn't move for a few days...big difference vs other guidance. I won't believe it though until there's better agreement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS essentially turns the western ridge into a temporary block so it doesn't move for a few days...big difference vs other guidance. I won't believe it though until there's better agreement.

Absurd differences lol.

4 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Just some perspective here on how horrible last January was even compared to this one down here which is below normal snow wise.. 

January 2023 - 0.9" snow 38.7 average temp  - 8 days below 40 for a high and the lowest max was 33.8 

Through Jan 21, 2024 -   5.9" of snow .. 29.5 average temp - 11 days below 40 out of 21 .. 7 days below 30 for a high 

Well then ... looks like the truth's just been dealt an inconvenient narrative, huh -

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

PSM 31 at noon. :snowman:

These Popestradamus forecasts interest me because they're basically in my backyard.  Is this a case of cherry-picking a station to get the needed temps?

This station is running around 3 degrees warmer than everything else around it.   https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNHPORTS24 

I can't help but think it's being influenced by the Service Credit Union corporate office that sits right across the street.  It's literally a wall of glass facing that station.

image.thumb.png.1c11b539c23d2b636a459d02ed71ce7c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Crazy how much warmer the Euro is for late week than other guidance....GFS/GGEM struggle to get it out of the 30s with the wedge. Euro goes 60s.

Two schools ...

1  the GGEM/GFS cabal actually has climate on it's side

2  though the Euro does not, ...we live now in an era where climate-based "correctivity" is in trouble;  what should not happen, ...still happening, has been increasing in frequency ( huge discussion avoidance here ;) )

Not sure those two facets cancel one another out, leaving us with no clue... Or, we lean in favor of one or the other.   I'm personally inclined to believe the GFS/GGEM cabal myself... Because of ... two schools ...

1  our unique geo-physical circumstance is so hugely in favor that even with the burgeoning/disrupted climate signaling taking place, we're still talking atmosphere vs actual Earth (talking about topographical features favoring cold wedging..etc.). Earth should win in that debate.

2  the Euro has been proven fallible vs these other models this year - it's not abundantly clear it should be trusted out of hand.  

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Layman said:

These Popestradamus forecasts interest me because they're basically in my backyard.  Is this a case of cherry-picking a station to get the needed temps?

This station is running around 3 degrees warmer than everything else around it.   https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNHPORTS24 

I can't help but think it's being influenced by the Service Credit Union corporate office that sits right across the street.  It's literally a wall of glass facing that station.

image.thumb.png.1c11b539c23d2b636a459d02ed71ce7c.png

You can see the 34 temp at the station location in the upper left corner showing just how close it is to this building:

image.thumb.png.19b38bba74193c4e7bc5df1654e99574.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Next week looks like has mid atlantic written all over it.

Only thing better than a toaster is watching mid atlantic take SNE weenie's snow. 

Only thing better than watching you forecast mid atlantic snow is watching it verify as either 3 feet for @dendriteor 19" for me...best part wasn' the snow, but your dissapearence for a week, thereafter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4