Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

GGEM looks good for Thursday nite/ Friday 

More of a south coast special but that was really close to a big one. 

GFS shot eastward so no help from that model. 

• Like 2

This entire winter has been a furnace, and now we are looking at yet another warmup after the 20th threat leaves a lot on the table. Maybe we can avoid a total rat with a better pattern in Feb/Mar, but let’s call it like it is. So far, the Pope has been right about this winter. We need some changes FAST for 1/20 to salvage this, if that is meh we aren’t getting anywhere near average snowfall. He deserves an apology.

• Like 1

why I be damned ... the 12z GFS appears to lay in .75" QPF in a frozen column for N ORH CO and S NH...  That puts the eastern end of the Rt 2 corridor in a warning event - low end anywho

...Oops! wrong thread

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Slight improvement on 12 GEFS for 1/19-20 but it’s not enough to move the needle much. Only the 12z GGEM has anything really close to a big hit this cycle so far. Looking unlikely we’ll get a major system out of that setup. 

Close but no cigar. Had the ingredients but just not quite enough separation on the two PV lobes. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You certainly can, but it's an uphill climb. 

From a pure accumulation stand point (like My BY finished with X inches on year ) you could / not likely  (thou many aren’t punting January at all ! ) unless they live SE of 95 

The initial point of my post it that some talk about a respectable winter with regard to enjoying snowy periods throughout the winter and not just a final accumulation total , I know for your verification and back ended winter ..it’s more the former (Total accumulation)

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

From a pure accumulation stand point (like My BY finished with X inches on year ) you could / not likely  (thou many aren’t punting January at all  ) unless they live SE of 95 

The initial point of my post it that some talk about a respectable winter with regard to enjoying snowy periods throughout the winter and not just a final accumulation total 

It cannot be a respectable winter with well AN temps, below normal snow, and no retention when we do get storms. It has been a long time since we had a month straight of snowcover.

Okay, ...lunch-time Quarter Backing the end of the week ordeal.

I am not totally sure the following hasn't escaped folks' thought processing, but ... we do not have to have idealized subsume phasing and a bomb in order to get a fun/entertaining event for winter enthusiasts.  There are plenty of mechanics in play ... the likes of which would not take a lot of unrealistic rearranging to ignite an event ranging from light ( but steady) to moderate/low end major.  None of the events within that envelope of possibilities should be ruled out.

1    Very powerful jet core running 1.5 or so deg S of LI is a huge wintertime climate flag for QPF in SNE/CNE.

2   The other aspect that's puzzling to me is ... the period of time in questions seems to either need to be an all out big bird bomb, or, whiff.  I'm not sure when factoring in both 1 ... why we are not seeing at least occasional model depictions for a middling event that encompasses up state NY/S-CNE.   Perhaps more a philosophical angle on this thing with this point ... but, we seem to be missing that probability set/result in these modeling projects - in fact, I think I've yet to see a 6-8" ALB-BOS/CON result even once - maybe I missed, but that's been rare to this point, nonetheless.  Point number 1 screams for it.

So I'm prepared to think we just sans the big dawg prospect - in no small part based upon the limitations I spent time explaining yesterday ... - in lieu of the very real probability that a moderate event will materialize out of that mess.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The seasonal trend, and really any season, is for southern streamers to tick north inside d4. The big Archie event is off the table but we can still manage a warning level event if we keep the low from going over Bermuda. 

Too early to say

Ceiling is high for this one if we get a big phase.

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Okay, ...lunch-time Quarter Backing the end of the week ordeal.

I am not totally sure the following hasn't escaped folks' thought processing, but ... we do not have to have idealized subsume phasing and a bomb in order to get a fun/entertaining event for winter enthusiasts.  There are plenty of mechanics in play ... the likes of which would not take a lot of unrealistic rearranging to ignite an event ranging from light ( but steady) to moderate/low end major.  None of the events within that envelope of possibilities should be ruled out.

1    Very powerful jet core running 1.5 or so deg S of LI is a huge wintertime climate flag for QPF in SNE/CNE.

2   The other aspect that's puzzling to me is ... the period of time in questions seems to either need to be an all out big bird bomb, or, whiff.  I'm not sure when factoring in both 1 ... why we are not seeing at least occasional model depictions for a middling event that encompasses up state NY/S-CNE.   Perhaps more a philosophical angle on this thing with this point ... but, we seem to be missing that probability set/result in these modeling projects - in fact, I think I've yet to see a 6-8" ALB-BOS/CON result even once - maybe I missed, but that's been rare to this point, nonetheless.  Point number 1 screams for it.

So I'm prepared to think we just sans the big dawg prospect - in no small part based upon the limitations I spent time explaining yesterday ... - in lieu of the very real probability that a moderate event will materialize out of that mess.

This has been my feeling….maybe/probably  not a big dog, but that doesn’t mean a decent event can’t morph from this set up. But I was told that I was pretty much wishcasting, and had rose colored glasses on when I said there is so much time to go on this thing yet. But I agree with your ideas.  

42 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

From a pure accumulation stand point (like My BY finished with X inches on year ) you could / not likely  (thou many aren’t punting January at all ! ) unless they live SE of 95 

The initial point of my post it that some talk about a respectable winter with regard to enjoying snowy periods throughout the winter and not just a final accumulation total , I know for your verification and back ended winter ..it’s more the former (Total accumulation)

Yea, certainly losing a lot of climo winter isn't ideal. I get it.

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It is not. The KU for NYCATT is gone. 

To be fair, it’s not a 0 chance either though Luke.  Stranger things have happened many times.

Pieces are all there, but I agree with you, I don’t think they all come together the way we would need, and in time for the big one for the area.  A decent event is certainly still a possibility though as we’ve discussed. 

I have to say that after today, I firmly am in the "this winter blows" camp. In my 30+ years of skiing I have never witnessed as bad of conditions in mid-January as I have at Catamount today. For the first time in my life, I asked for a ski voucher after just one run. I was there with my 5-year old son and it was legit a sheet of ice. The "grooming" was lines in an ice rink. I've literally experienced softer ice at an ice rink than I did today. This constant up and down with pouring rain has trashed the little base they have had. Unless it is sustained cold for longer than a week, I don't see how these ski areas can cope. We cannot keep getting these crazy warmups with pouring rain, please just make it stop!! I'd take just cold and no snow over what we have had so far this winter. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

These past few storms have been like an IV to a dying ski season. Bretton Woods has opened up a ton of terrain, including glades and the T bar. Looks like West Mountain will be opening soon as well, making the entire area accessible. Surface is a bit firm - the snowpack is DENSE but we do have 3-5” of fluffier stuff in the forecast, should be great in the upcoming days. 

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alex said:

These past few storms have been like an IV to a dying ski season. Bretton Woods has opened up a ton of terrain, including glades and the T bar. Looks like West Mountain will be opening soon as well, making the entire area accessible. Surface is a bit firm - the snowpack is DENSE but we do have 3-5” of fluffier stuff in the forecast, should be great in the upcoming days. 

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

Yeah you gotta get up north. Anywhere that received the 2-4 inches of rain the past few weeks is straight up bullet proof ice and firm granular. 

Euro looked a touch better to me for 1/19 looping H5…still a light event verbatim but you can see how it could be more significant with some minor improvements. 

I don’t think a big dog is going to happen but you could still get a moderate event or even a solid warning event if improvements continue over the next few runs. The danger of course is you trend back worse and then you essentially have no event at all. 

• Like 10