Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Don't think it's wise to call Friday toast yet.. A light to moderate event still on table with ticks NW..  Still on some guidance as a moderate hit .. Today was toast for all now many will get 5-10" for CNE and NNE .. GGEM and RGEM ftw again ? Who knows? Am I confident it will snow, obviously not as most guidance says no, but it can easily be the biggest storm of the year for many on the south coast...  I'll get your jokes out of the way now for you Debs.. Yes I may "Sey-less snow Friday probably " but its not 100% dead yet 

Yeah I could see it coming back a bit....but I think anything sizeable is probably off the table.

2 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Don't think it's wise to call Friday toast yet.. A light to moderate event still on table with ticks NW..  Still on some guidance as a moderate hit .. Today was toast for all now many will get 5-10" for CNE and NNE .. GGEM and RGEM ftw again ? Who knows? Am I confident it will snow, obviously not as most guidance says no, but it can easily be the biggest storm of the year for many on the south coast...  

I intimated this idea yesterday, and was berated by some lol.  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s another event like today’s. In a winter like this, you enjoy these . Another couple inches Friday and then it’s back to regularly scheduled programming next week.

Today's deal was just a PITA nuisance that I would have foregone if afforded the opportunity...during the morning coming off of a holiday weekend. It didn't quite start soon enough nor is it large enough to warrant a snow day, so you have to deal with it and the inconvenience of it far outweighs the appeal to me.

• Like 3

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Today's deal was just a PITA nuisance that I would have foregone is afforded the opportunity...during the morning coming off of a holiday weekend. It didn't quite start soon enough nor is it large enough to warrant a snow day, so you have to deal with it and the inconvenience of it far outweighs the appeal to me.

I’d rather snow and cold in mid January than 44 and grass . But that’s just me . Call me crazy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Different pattern though by Friday. This always had that look with the s/w so far west.

Essentially whiffing on this week was not a good sign. Theoretically speaking, we still have plenty of time, but many of the backloaded El Nino seasons were off to the races prior to the close of January. If we don't have a major region wide event prior to or imminent by the start of February, then its time to panic.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Essentially whiffing on this week was not a good sign. Theoretically speaking, we still have plenty of time, but many of the backloaded El Nino seasons were off to the races prior to the close of January. If we don't have a major region wide event prior to or imminent by the start of February, then its time to panic.

I'm not hopeful we make up in Feb, but hope we have a decent month. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I'm not hopeful we make up in Feb, but hope we have a decent month. 

If we have a decent month…I don’t really care if we don’t make up everything.  Some folks put way too much pressure on this type of stuff.  

For those that enjoy making outlooks on this long term stuff, I can get their theoretical concern due to their calls. But otherwise, it’s crazy to worry about not making up whatever ground might be lost. 

Its very frustrating when you nail certain aspects of the season, like blocking, several months out, but the atmosphere just seeks out ways to not snow. December was a brutal Pacific, sure....but this is just brutal luck.

Honestly your general idea of this winter is an A+ for me the general ideas were correct and it's going as planned .. you can't do much about being a few degrees off here and there and not getting snowstorms to work out.. The threats and favorable periods were highlighted and generally verified .. February looks to start amazing on long range guidance which is nice to see. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Honestly your general idea of this winter is an A+ for me the general ideas were correct and it's going as planned .. you can't do much about being a few degrees off here and there and not getting snowstorms to work out.. The threats and favorable periods were highlighted and generally verified .. February looks to start amazing on long range guidance which is nice to see. 

Eh....I saw Raindance point out in his analogs many of the -PDO seasons that just didn't want to snow in this area...admitted that he couldn't explain it. Say what you want about him personally, but I really give credit there if this doesn't turn around.

But I guess since I apparently copied him, I can take credit, too? :lol:

22 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I intimated this idea yesterday, and was berated by some lol.  

Actually no. We said goodbye to the big event days ago and you went wild on us. Nobody said a light to moderate even was off the table but you managed to spin the story around that we were cancelling any chance of snow falling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Credit Raindance and Omega on that....call it a lucky guess, call it outstanding forecasting, whatever you wish...but they were all over this season inventing ways to not snow in SNE. This is aside from MBY...not complaining in a personal level.

Season has quite a ways to go Ray…only a 3rd of the way in currently(astronomically speaking)..so I wouldn’t be feeling to downtrodden just yet. Long way to go to the finish line(2/3 to go actually)from here. Let’s see where we are end of March.  

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This has just made my day a total disaster. I commute from Raynham to Wilmington most days. I’ve been in the car for 2.5 hours and am currently in gridlock still probably half hour away 

Ha...I'm from Wilmington...yea, that is a long commute. It actually wasn't awful for me coming from Methuen to Chelsea today...probably speaks to the ineffectual nature of this "storm".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Actually no. We said goodbye to the big event days ago and you went wild on us. Nobody said a light to moderate even was off the table but you managed to spin the story around that we were cancelling any chance of snow falling. 

No..not at all. That’s incorrect. 

• Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Season has quite a ways to go Ray…only a 3rd of the way in currently(astronomically speaking)..so I wouldn’t be feeling to downtrodden just yet. Long way to go to the finish line(2/3 to go actually)from here. Let’s see where we are end of March.  

The chances of a huge comeback are taking a very large hit this week from a climatological standpoint and that can not be ignored. Does it mean that we won't have an enjoyable month of February? No and I think that we will....but I am starting to doubt that 1958 or 1966 is walking through that door.

I do not have snow goggles on when I take these stances, nor do I remain fixed to an idea despite emerging data to the contrary.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, I could see another nuisance day, sure.

The chances of a huge comeback are taking a very large hit this week from a climatological standpoint and that can not be ignored. Does it mean that we won't have an enjoyable month of February? No and I think that we will....but I am starting to doubt if 1958 or 1966 is walking through that door.

I wasn’t meaning a huge comeback…but something good is certainly a possibility, and shouldn’t be discounted at this stage. 

And certainly not a big storm today, but great wintry vibe with steady snow/roads snow covered and cold temps…we enjoy. 

Cue Luke to say that I’m going wild..lol. 

Just now, WinterWolf said:

I wasn’t meaning a huge comeback…but something good is certainly a possibility, and shouldn’t be discounted at this stage

And certainly not a big storm today, but great wintry vibe with steady snow/roads snow covered and cold temps…we enjoy. 

Cue Luke to say that I’m going wild..lol. 

This is totally reasonable and I agree.

• Like 1