• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Not what some on the Board want to hear but that warmup way out there in guidance keeps moderating and then cold does reload but this time the core is closer to us in Eastern Canada. Not a frigid look but could work for many. Folks expecting weeks of 2m temps below freezing in coastal SNE have unrealistic expectations of their climo imo. 

• Like 5

If you’re looking for a pattern shakeup compared to the last couple of years, then root for the ensembles at the end of the month. 

This is the closest to a great pacific pattern we’ve had in a while. But good to remain skeptical until we’re closer. But that’s a look you want to see for big cold/snow threats. 

IMG_0098.png

IMG_0097.png

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

EPS? Crap?

For the 1/19-20 threat it’s been status quo for the most part. There’s a few members still giving a big event but most of them are not. Lots of scrapers too with like 1-2”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

If you’re looking for a pattern shakeup compared to the last couple of years, then root for the ensembles at the end of the month. 

This is the closest to a great pacific pattern we’ve had in a while. But good to remain skeptical until we’re closer. But that’s a look you want to see for big cold/snow threats. 

IMG_0098.png

IMG_0097.png

2015 vibes here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Not what some on the Board want to hear but that warmup way out there in guidance keeps moderating and then cold does reload but this time the core is closer to us in Eastern Canada. Not a frigid look but could work for many. Folks expecting weeks of 2m temps below freezing in coastal SNE have unrealistic expectations of their climo imo. 

Yeah, noticed the cold doesn't come down through the plains but slides east to eastern Canada, we can hopefully tap into that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henry's Weather said:

2015 vibes here

Yeah it’s prob the best PAC look since then. But it still needs to verify and of course the big question is how long would such a look last? In 2015 it was almost a standing wave for 3-4 weeks with a brief break during the Feb 7-9 event where we got lucky anyway and Boston got 2 feet of snow when the rest of the CONUS was an utter furnace. 

But regardless, it’s nice to see a great PAC look even show up on guidance. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Hes right

The main forecast challenge for the extended period is Fri into Fri

night as digging northern stream shortwave moving into the Gt Lakes

tries to capture a coastal low moving off the mid Atlc coast. Still

a lot of spread in potential storm track and intensity but consensus

of the ensemble suite is the storm remaining far enough offshore for

just a glancing blow. However, it`s still day 4 and there are some

members with a more significant impact. It will depend on the

amplitude of this northern stream shortwave and if it can back the

flow enough for a low track closer to SNE. At the very least, a

period of light snow is anticipated, with greater probs near the

coast, but can`t rule out a more significant impact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

@40/70 Benchmark you have been touting after 1/20 for over a month.  1/25 and 1/28.  Honestly can’t remember a winter with more rain after rain up to Montreal in a very long timimage.thumb.png.9f7a4cfc842e5d7b987db8747db4af2c.png

I hilight two week periods...first one was 1/23 to 2/5 window for a large event. We are going to just whiff on one Friday, then a relaxation before another shot every late January into February. I am happy with my body of work, despite poor snowfall showing near the coast to date.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It's been warmer than I thought so far, yes.

You had 1 to 3 AN for December, average was +6?  Some spots +8, many spots warmest December ever? Jan running +6 to +8 so far, sure some cold this week but not huge below normal and we are back above normal to much above normal last 10 days of month.  No changes

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

IMG_0098.png

IMG_0097.png

I'll take my chances with this....and more blocking to follow with the impending wind reversal in the arctic.

6 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

You had 1 to 3 AN for December, average was +6?  Some spots +8, many spots warmest December ever? Jan running +6 to +8 so far, sure some cold this week but not huge below normal and we are back above normal to much above normal last 10 days of month.  No changes

It was about +3 to +6 through the mid Atlantic and into SNE.

cd98.217.242.93.14.17.42.38.prcp.png

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Here is my December analog composite.

DEC ANALOG TEMPS.png

Zero below normal across CONUS, warmest December ever across large sections of the country, notice analogue chat goes to +5 while December map goes to +10 and large section of country at +10 and off the chart warmth.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I hilight two week periods...first one was 1/23 to 2/5 window for a large event. We are going to just whiff on one Friday, then a relaxation before another shot every late January into February. I am happy with my body of work, despite poor snowfall showing near the coast to date.

As you should be. Don't give that bozo qg the respect of even answering his post. He doesn't give 2 shits about what you do.... He is just looking to troll and to get the best of you and anyone else who is a Winter enthusiast. I laugh wh never I see his posts now. It's become comical. 

• Like 2