Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

8 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

:rolleyes: just looking for something to track. It doesn't necessarily have to work out in my eyes. I'm just happy to see a little atmospheric reshuffle

Oh definitely. Like a faux hurricane strike at D8, just fun to track but no ones taking it too seriously, right? The past few pages are surely not setting up disappointment if nothing comes of it?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Oh definitely. Like a faux hurricane strike at D8, just fun to track but no ones taking it too seriously, right? The past few pages are surely not setting up disappointment if nothing comes of it?

Truth be told. We haven't had anything decent to track since early December ( and that was northern NNE ). 

Now..is this definitely going up happen. No. Is it more possible than we've had this season for all the areas that have not seen any Snow yet, yes! I myself am happy for the possibilities that are upcoming. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Well some... yeah I see that, but far from everyone. However it is the first "threat" that's showing up in a while, and IS something legit to watch for now. It's something to look at this evening while I'm trying to keep the eyes open awaiting midnight tonight.

3 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

It's probably no coincidence but just as this improved look to models began, the warmest Pacific air started to move north through my part of the world instead of east into the prairies. That opens up the arctic where legitimate cold is starting to develop finally, and it has a chance to replace the Pacific flow at least over the northern half of the lower 48 (east of the Rockies). So while the details remain subject to ebb and flow, I believe the pattern is improving steadily and can support a return to winter in the east. Once it starts it could lock in for a while, pattern changes have been slow for a while now, and it would be fair play to see a long-duration cold spell replace what has been about four or five weeks of mild weather based on dominant Pacific flows.  

It's a sensitive 10 days with potential for significant error - exceeding the base-line 'error climate' for modeling. 

After about 5 days from now ... the EPO flips positive, as the PNA sinks to -1 or -1.5 SD; meanwhile there is a continued general consensus for -AO/-NAO to anchor N/E. 

Those two are diametric signals occurring at hemispheric scale. 

Small variances from run to run are actually large changes in both time and space with entities at smaller scales.  What you're describing is like a small back-off of the -PNA, but so subtle it barely registers in the numerical calculation of the index; yet look at the strife it caused during yesterday's model runs?   It's kind of a big deal whether PIT-BOS line gets 36" from 3 separate events, or nada. 

That larger of all signals near the 11th has shifted E from the Iowa 'anchor low' idea, now more of a progressive season defining bomb for the Great Lakes, but I would not trust that.   18z yesterday, the operational GFS had that completely forced E and now it is wind blown open busted ravioli nuisance up through Minnesota again.  

It's something like the models are right about the entities existing, but there's some enhanced position error on where they will be - because there is no real boundary or exact interface where the circulation mode of the Pacific ( described above, which is a warm Chinook signal for N/A) approaches and begins to experience constraints imposed by the -AO/-NAO. Which is of course a cold, blocky storm thing... completely different universe of expectation.

Hey Will ... if you're lurking, do you have that PSU link for the historical model runs?   I seem to have lost that.

I'm keen on this Jan 7 thing because in reminds me ( in the general mid latitude circulation manifold) of the Dec 2005 10.   NCEP's map library has the chart but it's the 12z only and I was wanting to see it closer to the 00z - I think your site has those? 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

New Years off to an early start?

Models flipping rain to snow 

Regarding the Thu-Fri system, it now appears more likely (but still
not definite) that northern and southern streams will stay separated
until phasing occurs to the east of our region. This maintains a
more positive/neutral tilt which forces a more offshore track of
surface low, keeping most of its precipitation offshore as well.
That being said, there may be enough lift from northern stream
trough and sufficient moisture to generate some light rain or even
some light snow depending upon surface temperature. Right now models
are showing an initially mild airmass which favors rain, but
eventually colder air is drawn into region behind departing system,
which could result in a changeover to light snow later Thu night
into Fri (assuming enough moisture remains). In any case, this looks
to be a light precipitation event with very minor impacts. We`re
probably not looking for more than an inch or so of accumulation
(especially in the hills) according to ensemble probabilities.
Canadian ensemble is most aggressive and GEFS/EPS less so. But it
should be noted that these probabilities are based upon straight
10:1 snow to liquid ratios and do not take surface temps into
account. It may end up being a little too warm to allow much snow to
stick outside of the higher elevations.