• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

Like I have said before, we can skate by with average daily minimums. That would allow local ski areas to make their snow and get open for business. Problem is, I don't even see sustained overnight lows approaching norms for 10+ days. There will be sporadic nights of snowmaking, but this is just getting ridiculous. We have kicked the can and it is starting to be very worrying that even with snowmaking capabilities, southern NY and southern New England resorts will not survive much longer. Then we are looking at the time bomb for northern resorts. Really scary stuff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

Like I have said before, we can skate by with average daily minimums. That would allow local ski areas to make their snow and get open for business. Problem is, I don't even see sustained overnight lows approaching norms for 10+ days. There will be sporadic nights of snowmaking, but this is just getting ridiculous. We have kicked the can and it is starting to be very worrying that even with snowmaking capabilities, southern NY and southern New England resorts will not survive much longer. Then we are looking at the time bomb for northern resorts. Really scary stuff. 

well, if you look at a place like Belleayre, they have really invested over the last several summers in new piping and pumping capabilities because they know when it is cold they have to be able to blow huge amounts of snow in very short periods of time.

I would argue that the larger ski areas up north are really going to be affected once the snow and cold temperatures go away. It is easy to blanket a smaller resort like Hunter with man-made snow not so easy for a whiteface or Gore or Killington.

For the first 20 years of my life, we went up to Lake Placid every December to ski at Whiteface. Cold and snow and a frozen lake were a lock. I can’t even remember the last time Lake Placid had a good Christmas week.

If you want to see something scary, go onto whitefacemoutain.com/webcams. it left an impression on me. It looks like a dystopian future hanging on to shreds of a ski resort.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

well, if you look at a place like Belleayre, they have really invested over the last several summers in new piping and pumping capabilities because they know when it is cold they have to be able to blow huge amounts of snow in very short periods of time.

I would argue that the larger ski areas up north are really going to be affected once the snow and cold temperatures go away. It is easy to blanket a smaller resort like Hunter with man-made snow not so easy for a whiteface or Gore or Killington.

For the first 20 years of my life, we went up to Lake Placid every December to ski at Whiteface. Cold and snow and a frozen lake were a lock. I can’t even remember the last time Lake Placid had a good Christmas week.

If you want to see something scary, go onto whitefacemoutain.com/webcams. it left an impression on me. It looks like a dystopian future hanging on to shreds of a ski resort.

Agreed.  Drove up to our place near Gore today.   Theres more mud than snow around.  Remembering  how reliably cold and snowy the end of December used to be up here is depressing.  To some extent spring/fall tourism has picked up and the ski resorts are doing more to attract visitors in four seasons.   Holiday weeks like this take a toll though… 

19 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

Agreed.  Drove up to our place near Gore today.   Theres more mud than snow around.  Remembering  how reliably cold and snowy the end of December used to be up here is depressing.  To some extent spring/fall tourism has picked up and the ski resorts are doing more to attract visitors in four seasons.   Holiday weeks like this take a toll though… 

Was going to drive up tonight but just bagged the trip, just not worth it

Multiple ensembles offer "small"amount hope after Jan 4...  My guess I'll have to get my driveway snow stakes in the ground sometime next weekend--hjoping for 4" by mid January here in nw NJ. There is more hope in a seasonably cool pattern with multiple shortwaves crossing USA west-east south of I80.

19 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Multiple ensembles offer "small"amount hope after Jan 4...  My guess I'll have to get my driveway snow stakes in the ground sometime next weekend--hjoping for 4" by mid January here in nw NJ. There is more hope in a seasonably cool pattern with multiple shortwaves crossing USA west-east south of I80.

They need to cross south of I-78 for this to work

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

@bluewave thoughts on the mjo? Looks like p3 to start January so hopefully some pna improvements after the cold dump in the west 

Interesting.  Originally there was to be no cold dump in the west from Canada, since the first Arctic air was supposed to seep over the pole into north eastern Canada.  Has this changed?

• Like 1