Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024

wdrag

33 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

@bluewave thoughts on the mjo? Looks like p3 to start January so hopefully some pna improvements after the cold dump in the west 

The first we thing see in early January are the VP anomalies almost going off the scale with the record marine heatwave near 60E. While the MJO composites aren’t a perfect match, my guess is that the shift toward a -PNA week 2 of January is in response to this. A deep trough in the West is close to the MJO 2 El Niño composite. The MJO getting over to 3 would tend to build the ridge again in Canada. But any lingering convection near 60E could hold an undercutting trough in the SW. So we may go to an overlapping composite look for a time before the next step in the MJO becomes better defined.

94000F2F-6287-4A6D-BFAE-7DF38F1DE3AF.thumb.gif.eb27539bd70cc1528abdc2af11d7c06e.gif
8A81206A-F5F8-4139-ABDD-A5EBD5A3E02D.thumb.jpeg.263d4c191d1ff2db8a46ded11df6f7ec.jpeg

EF3A1CCB-4BAB-49D0-8DE6-E9AAE19EAC6E.thumb.jpeg.9a3ea9a39c1256b4a7bc2691b41d6d27.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The first we thing see in early January are the VP anomalies almost going off the scale with the record marine heatwave near 60E. While the MJO composites aren’t a perfect match, my guess is that the shift toward a -PNA week 2 of January is in response to this. A deep trough in the West is close to the MJO 2 El Niño composite. The MJO getting over to 3 would tend to build the ridge again in Canada. But any lingering convection near 60E could hold an undercutting trough in the SW. So we may go to an overlapping composite look for a time before the next step in the MJO becomes better defined.

94000F2F-6287-4A6D-BFAE-7DF38F1DE3AF.thumb.gif.eb27539bd70cc1528abdc2af11d7c06e.gif
8A81206A-F5F8-4139-ABDD-A5EBD5A3E02D.thumb.jpeg.263d4c191d1ff2db8a46ded11df6f7ec.jpeg

EF3A1CCB-4BAB-49D0-8DE6-E9AAE19EAC6E.thumb.jpeg.9a3ea9a39c1256b4a7bc2691b41d6d27.jpeg

how is it hitting 96 on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean? what are the SST there?

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Thanks. Hopefully improvements out west around mid month once the wave fully enters p3. In the meantime it does look like Canada will finally start to cool off. 

p3 January 

IMG_2747.png

22 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Well if MJO going into favorable phases doesn't work, what will? It's a total disaster if you like winter weather. I can;t imagine not getting a snowfall these next 2 and a half months.But I'm starting to think it's possible which is scary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WX-PA said:

Well if MJO going into favorable phases doesn't work, what will? It's a total disaster if you like winter weather. I can;t imagine not getting a snowfall these next 2 and a half months.But I'm starting to think it's possible which is scary.

I do not have the historical MJO plots, however 97/98 had repetitive perfect benchmark storm tracks and nothing but rain to show for it. The fact that the storm tracks were of the benchmark variety leads me to believe that there was a trough in the east, therefore "favorable" MJO phases. Again, the problem with that year were the temps in North America which were too warm even for the northwest side of the storms. At least this year there are signs we are not heading down that road. We shall see but hopefully we get more of a 82/83 or 15/16 result.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I do not have the historical MJO plots, however 97/98 had repetitive perfect benchmark storm tracks and nothing but rain to show for it. The fact that the storm tracks were of the benchmark variety leads me to believe that there was a trough in the east, therefore "favorable" MJO phases. Again, the problem with that year were the temps in North America which were too warm even for the northwest side of the storms. At least this year there are signs we are not heading down that road. We shall see but hopefully we get more of a 82/83 or 15/16 result.

Yes, 82/83 and 15/16 are more typical of what to expect in a very strong el nino, 97/98 was very extreme even by those standards (and it still snowed in March lol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

Interesting.  Originally there was to be no cold dump in the west from Canada, since the first Arctic air was supposed to seep over the pole into north eastern Canada.  Has this changed?

This was a fun debate earlier in December.

29 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

97-98 had the Aleutian low in an unfavorable spot, mostly in the Gulf of Alaska which cuts off cold air coming down from the pole. Instead that floods Canada with Pacific air. Since we had no cold air source as a result, the storms were too mild despite the good tracks. 

If we can get cold air down here for any sustained length of time, I’m confident we can pull off a good snowstorm or two. It’s a matter of reshuffling the pattern and having cold air available when we get the storms. If we can get the stronger than advertised SE ridges which have been the story the past 5+ winters now, I’m not too worried about suppression. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I suspect you will end up finding progression here in these VP anomalies as well.  Particularly as the IOD has collapsed and there's a smoothing of ocean temperature anomalies between WIO and EIO.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

52 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

This was a fun debate earlier in December.

Yes, I do recall.  I take it that prog was incorrect, just as the present progs are?

Persistence Forecast:    A forecast that the current weather condition will persist and that future weather will be the same as the present.  The persistence forecast is often used as a standard of comparison in measuring the degree of skill of forecasts prepared by other methods. The Subtropical Pacific Jet has persisted over the last few years.  Despite constant long-range signals for cold periods forecasted during the winter of 2022-23, they never materialized as each one was said “to be delayed”.  Presently, the arctic air is not even in the “Western Hemisphere”.  Unless this “monster/thing” of a beast in the Pacific subsides or is re-directed, I would not put any credence to any cold weather signals in the near future.  (This hypothesis does not necessarily represent the viewpoint of this blogger or of anyone on this site).

14 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Yes, I do recall.  I take it that prog was incorrect, just as the present progs are?

Persistence Forecast:    A forecast that the current weather condition will persist and that future weather will be the same as the present.  The persistence forecast is often used as a standard of comparison in measuring the degree of skill of forecasts prepared by other methods. The Subtropical Pacific Jet has persisted over the last few years.  Despite constant long-range signals for cold periods forecasted during the winter of 2022-23, they never materialized as each one was said “to be delayed”.  Presently, the arctic air is not even in the “Western Hemisphere”.  Unless this “monster/thing” of a beast in the Pacific subsides or is re-directed, I would not put any credence to any cold weather signals in the near future.  (This hypothesis does not necessarily represent the viewpoint of this blogger or of anyone on this site).

You may have found a universally acceptable definition of persistence. 

Edit: card carrying member of #TeamWCanFirst

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

As many have said we flip in mid to late January or probably not at all. December was always way too soon

People need to stop wishcasting, some never learn and it makes this board hard to read. It’s hard to see the same posters fall into the same traps every year for the last 15 years. 

science isn’t about following your heart, it’s about following the facts. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, psv88 said:

People need to stop wishcasting, some never learn and it makes this board hard to read. It’s hard to see the same posters fall into the same traps every year for the last 15 years. 

Not just this board. Too many of the pros seem to fall into the trap of well it's January it must turn cold and snowy now let me look for any hint of a pattern change and blast it all over social media.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Yep it’s the same posts saying so and on twitter sez or putting up some analog from colder times and hoping it works

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Yep it’s the same posts saying so and on twitter sez or putting up some analog from colder times and hoping it works

True but every winter is different and every el nino is different so maybe this is the year we get nada in December or January and flip in mid February or maybe this is the year we get 1" for the entire winter

5 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Not just this board. Too many of the pros seem to fall into the trap of well it's January it must turn cold and snowy now let me look for any hint of a pattern change and blast it all over social media.

You see a very small sliver of the pro's.  Social media pros tend to skew cold because it drives interactions.    I don't view Bustardi as an operational met anymore so much as a political pundit hocking books.  He has long past his expiration date on reliable forecaster in the long range and a lot of folks have wised up to it.  Margavage was in school when I was and flunked out, now returns as the 'cold and snow' guy and gets a following.

There are a lot of good mets around, a lot, who's opinion I value and respect.  Some of them were cold 1h Jan, many were not.  But they're not gonna be the loudest voice on twitter.

• Like 6