Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

2 hours ago, Modfan2 said:

Power back late last evening; after being through TS storms here and Hurricanes in FL I chuckle at the those who wish to see a Hurricane here. A strong CAT 1 or higher would be devastating and most would be without power for 1 to two weeks or greater.

I wonder if part of the power restoration issue is, as many people mentioned here, this looked to be a normal wind event vs the high impact one it became?

As such, utilities didn't call in outside crews before hand to have them ready to go and are now playing catch-up?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

I wonder if part of the power restoration issue is, as many people mentioned here, this looked to be a normal wind event vs the high impact one it became?

As such, utilities didn't call in outside crews before hand to have them ready to go and are now playing catch-up?

I think restoration is going well here. Many are already back online. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

It looked like a big boy , high impact from 4-5 days out . There were some that didn’t believe it and this is what happens when those attitudes occur unfortunately 

• Like 1

I definitely didn’t pay attention to modeling on this , primarily because there was no snow up in ski country .

I definitely wish I would have watched the fetch and modeled winds over such an expansive area. There was a run or two from a few days out I took a screen shot of the insane S fetch distance between the modeled low and the high to east of east coast and I was like “wow that is an insane fetch “ . I probably would have tried to chase the surf damage in RI . Huge over achiever all the way up the east coast regarding surge and wave action. That seems to happen often enough with non pure tropical entity systems - under prepared. Doesn’t get the hype of a tropical season entity but when the fetch is a monster the damage over delivers .

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I think restoration is going well here. Many are already back online. 

I agree, I think it was a combination of 8” of rain in a week and high winds brought down some big trees; restoration process is moving right along with most fixed within 2-3 days; usually the day after is to survey and get restoration crews in place.
People tend to have unrealistic goals of when things should be fixed.

42 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Looks like the Androscoggin River in Auburn for this event will fall in 4th place as it crested at 20.27'.

Historic Crests
(1) 27.57 ft on 03/20/1936
(2) 23.71 ft on 04/02/1987
(3) 22.84 ft on 03/28/1953
(4) 17.80 ft on 03/01/1896
(5) 17.42 ft on 05/13/1989
Show More Historic Crests

Finally got wi-fi back - out since Monday night.  Genny still running, and it may keep on into the weekend.  Some of the worst tree damage I've seen is within 2 miles of our place, including 3 large and 2 medium trees dumped on our 0.4-mile gravel road, 3 fir, one basswood, one a sizable fork from a pine.  Most I've run the chainsaw in years.  A huge white ash (2 ft diam, 80 ft tall) along Starks Road (Rt 134) tipped from the side toward the river and across 134, stretching the phone cord to the ground and snapping both hot wires.  We had winds probably gusting to 50+ from 10A to 2P on Monday in moderate/heavy RA, and the sustained blasts plus increasingly soggy ground led to the blowdowns.  The only real cold came shortly after the 12" dump early this month, so essentially no frost in the ground.

Total here was 4.21" here, while Farmington sites were 5+ and Temple's 6.01" is the highest I've seen.  2 inches or so mud on parking lots - Irving, McD, Walgreens this AM - looks like 3-4 ft of water at peak.  Routte 2 was flooded in several places in New Sharon and Farmington; weeds caught in the bushes/fences show about 3 ft on that highway at peak.

Some peak flow top-5s for the Kennebec drainage (K'bec records 1979 on, other 2 from the 1920s):

Kennebec (N. Sidney)    Sandy                     Carrabassett
1.      232,000   4/1987           51,100   4/1987         50,700   4/1987
2.     167,000   12/2023          42,900  12/2023      39,000   12/2023*
3.     113,000    6/1984           38,600   3/1936       35,500    5/2023
4.     113,000    5/2023           36,900   3/1953       31,600    8/2011
5.     111,000     4/1979            31,300   5/2023      30,800    3/1936

* The Carrabassett gauge hit that 39k at 7:30 PM on Monday with the river still rising, then had no readings until 3:30 PM yesterday with the flow at <15k.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Looks like the Androscoggin River in Auburn for this event will fall in 4th place as it crested at 20.27'.

Historic Crests
(1) 27.57 ft on 03/20/1936
(2) 23.71 ft on 04/02/1987
(3) 22.84 ft on 03/28/1953
(4) 17.80 ft on 03/01/1896
(5) 17.42 ft on 05/13/1989
Show More His

Eyeballing the list, looks like only 3 of the earlier ones were in December (2003, 1969, and 1910).

Power's back on at Pit2.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Not sure I trust CMP website. ETA on power is Friday, 10pm. Odd because there are roads not far from us that also list the same date, yet had power on this morning. Gonna suck hard if it's 2 more days. I saw where most of the trees were on lines and they have been removed as of this morning. 

Saw the exact same time for Starks Road in New Sharon.  :huh:

51 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Not sure I trust CMP website. ETA on power is Friday, 10pm. Odd because there are roads not far from us that also list the same date, yet had power on this morning. Gonna suck hard if it's 2 more days. I saw where most of the trees were on lines and they have been removed as of this morning. 

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Saw the exact same time for Starks Road in New Sharon.  :huh:

Mine comes on at 10:00 tonight, suckers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

They were showing Pit 2 with an restoration of 11:00pm. tonight.  It actually came on before noon.

• Like 1