Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m not quite ready to say I’d be surprised if we’re totally skunked through say January 10, but we’re heading in that direction. 

lol I was not very eloquent here and everyone interpreted this as the opposite of what I meant :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

A few weeks ago it was supposed to be around the 28th, so looks like it was only pushed back by less than 2 weeks.

I may be misremembering but 28th was a long shot chance as the pattern was changing. Real first window was always the 4th/6th, which is too far away to know anything.

If we make it to mid-January with nothing but hopes for winter to be saved in February… that’s a disaster.

Some rule of thumbs for novice forecasters: Not the CAPE's, WxUSAF's PSU, etc. of the world

Days 2.5-6.0 This is the time when major storms come into focus; look for run-to-run trends. 

Days 6-8 To avoid whiplash, look at the surface and 500 hPa presentations of the suite of operational runs once a day giving equal weights to the 00, 06, 12, and 18 UTC runs. 

Days 8-10: Look at the ensembles only (surface and 500 hPa).  Are any storms showing up? When? Are at least a few producing snow? 

Days 10-12: Look at the 500 hPa pattern of the ensembles; snow totals are meaningless at this range (too much weight for climatology and outliers).  Is this a pattern that could produce wintry weather?  

Days 12 and beyond: Is this a long-wave pattern when long-term forecasts are possible or is it best just to go with climatology adjusted for the base state (El Nino or La Nina)? 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Panic room about to go full blown operational in the next 10 days if we don’t get something. Gotta have at least a region wide WWA

If I wasn’t drunk on 120 min IPAs I would in fact be panicked.  Now I am slightly amused 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6