• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Rain to snow for the 28th with a trailing piece of energy and cold HP pressing south, then with cold in place the next wave tracks underneath and snows on us. That idea has been showing up on the ens mean, and makes sense with the advertised pattern evolution.

I’d take that type of setup in early winter all day long. Don’t want a wrapped up storm along the coast flooding the coastal plain with SE winds as it approaches. A 3-6” areawide type storm would be a perfect appetizer and would boost morale around here
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The debs got quiet today 

They'll be back (said in Terminator voice).

Seriously though, if this good period does actually verify and is not just a smokescreen a la 2019, I suspect there will still be inevitable periods where the SIGNAL bounces around and the look degrades.  Only shit-the-blind type patterns show up and hour 384 and march unmodified down to hour 0.

10 hours ago, jayyy said:

“Very warm” is kind of a disingenuous way to characterize December thus far. Sure, it hasn’t been cold (rarely is in December nowadays - especially before winter has officially begun) but we also haven’t torched like we saw back in 2015 and in other strong niño years. It’s primarily been in the 40s here and I’ve seen 3” of snow so far this season. Certainly nothing to write home about, but it’s been better than what many, including myself, were expecting just 3-4 weeks ago.

Highly doubt January ends at +4. I don’t think it’s front to end cold - nature of the niño - but I am going to go out on a limb here and say that January ends up being average to -1

"Very warm" is actually for the Upper Midwest. They will finish the month some +10-15F. The post said I was primarily focusing on +EPO December's, so I'm not sure why it became EC-centric, maybe because I'm posting it in this forum. The "above average" usually spreads to the eastern 2/3 of the US in January, and this was my 2nd analog match showing that so it's something to watch out for.  It also rolls forward to somewhat of a warm March, average February. 

13 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

EPS was not a good model last year. Like 10 times they showed digital snow and a good pattern.. 18z GEFS is a bit concerning at the end: The Aleutian low is evaporating and the NAO doesn't really have a good loading pattern to go negative.. I get the demand for the Euro to have ensembles, but man it's off

This is perception bias.  At no point has the GEFS been objectively more accurate than the EPS.  Actually, recently there have been some articles implying NCEP is thrilled that recent upgrades have simply made the GFS products more competitive but still clearly in 3rd place.  This is by no means a shot at NCEP, they have made significant progress and advancements with their products and they have limitations the ECMWF does not.  

Yes, there were a few times the EPS showed a better pattern in the long range than the GEFS last winter and it was wrong.  But there were also numerous times the GEFS showed a better pattern and was wrong, you just don't remember them because that is the status quo.  Additionally most of the times the EPS was wrong it was also in opposition to the GEPS as well...this time the GEPS was in agreement.  Finally, last winter the "better looks" also were in conflict with the base state and what we would expect given the enso.  This year the better looks are in alignment of what it should look like.  In addition to this statement being based on a biased interpretation of reality I also think its not a comparable situation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

really nice trend with the Pacific jet too. less oppressive and is leading to more ridging into western Canada 

gfs-ens_uv250_npac_fh294_trend.thumb.gif.d16e249aab3c33c26c60fd9e9cc659cd.gif

Forcing should line up to match enso and pdo phase as well....probably  why we are seeing better placement of the Aleutian low. MJO headed the right way to match. Things are falling into place rather nicely going forward.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I said Deb’s not trolls 

I’m fully serious when I say I expect that fairly soon he will be saying that the MJO is going to move through 8-1-2 TOO FAST, despite him confidently asserting before that it would get stuck in 5-6-7.

• Haha 9

As progged by the GEFS, the 28 - 30 system is still too warm.  But, it may be setting the stage for the next system by pulling colder air down from the Lakes.

Yes, this is fantasy-land beyond 300 hrs. but we could have a winner in the first 5 days of Jan.

Source of origination, northwest Gulf is prime all the way back to the 60's. Usually a general track to Alabama/ southeast North Carolina and up the east coast has produced. Recently, eastward across the Gulf intensifying up the east coast as the GFS paints is good. Upper air temps. look good to support snow.

The GEFS contradicts itself at 360 by showing rain with a minus 4 850 and the 540 in N.C...... The Op may be onto something.

image.thumb.png.df5c0735cc97b5051e6df2f517daa772.png

• Haha 5
  • Weenie 4