• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate-High Impact Storm Noon Sun Dec 17, 2023 - 4PM Mon Dec 18. Flooding rain I95 corridor northwestward, coastal tidal flooding, brief periods of damaging 50 MPH+ wind gusts LI/CT Monday, ends as a little wet snow interior elevations Tue morning.

wdrag

Just now, psv88 said:

54 at FRG nothing to sneeze at.  But in the winter, we can handle it with no leaves on trees. 

tbat being said lots of trees down in commack messing up the bus routes 

Port Wash branch of LIRR partially suspended due to fallen trees. I’d call that fairly significant, especially given the time of year. 

Partial dry slot developing but southern energy will be pulled in across NYC and w LI this afternoon, expect another 0.50" to 0.75" rain with that, winds will also pick up again to SW 40-55 in exposed areas. Squall line in w/c Long Island appears headed for central CT and will be focus of svr trw developing later in parts of e/c NE. 

Double centered for now but will consolidate into one low over period 15z to 21z. 

38 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

Port Wash branch of LIRR partially suspended due to fallen trees. I’d call that fairly significant, especially given the time of year. 

My old LIRR line always has trees down on it, never fails. Heavy winds shut off as that squall passed here around 8:20am. Some limbs down but no issue with school bus pickup for my kids.  1.53” in Syosset with highest gust of 41mph & 1.32” in Muttontown with 45mph highest gust.

• Like 1

Had to rain about 4" in the Montclair NJ area. Lots of flooded basements in the area. I upgraded the pump in my pit to be three times the capacity when we flooded during Ida. Now the pit doesn't even fill half way. Was the best $500 I ever spent. New pump is all steel and looks built to outlast me.

4 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

WOW. 26 feet at the Islip Buoy. That is borderline unheard of. 

Yeah. If you saw my posts from a few days ago, it’s the fetch starting all the way down in the Caribbean. Largest fetch I have ever seen on the east coast, so despite winds not being incredible, the distance did its job. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yeah. If you saw my posts from a few days ago, it’s the fetch starting all the way down in the Caribbean. Largest fetch I have ever seen on the east coast, so despite winds not being incredible, the distance did its job. 

Flooding is gonna be bad in a couple hours even though worst impacts aren’t timed with high tide. 

29 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

3.97" on my station. Can't believe they canceled school today. I've heard the normal roads that flood are underwater, but a few you would think are fine.

The typical areas were pretty bad.  I was a little surprised too.  I did read certain areas of town were "cut off" from others because of the flooding, so maybe that is why they did it?  Also, teachers might not have been able to get to school from wherever they live?  Now what day gets cut from the school calendar, haha. 

Just now, FPizz said:

The typical areas were pretty bad.  I was a little surprised too.  I did read certain area of town were "cut off" from others because of the flooding, so maybe that is why they did it?  Also, teachers might not have been able to get to school from wherever they live?  Now what day gets cut from the school calendar, haha. 

North plainfield had a delayed opening and then ended up canceling the whole day

• Like 1

From PSEG LI

STORM RESTORATION UPDATE: 9 AM

Strong winds and heavy rain, starting late last night into this morning, are causing scattered power outages throughout Long Island and the Rockaways.

* Hardest hit areas include Oyster Bay, North Hempstead and Huntington.

* 9,673 of our approximately 1.2 million customers are currently without service.

* As of 9AM power has been restored to more than 7,400 customers since 12:01 AM today.

* Crews have been working overnight and will continue to work safely and as quickly as possible until all outages are restored. All PSEG Long Island employees have mobilized to support the restoration efforts, including more than 900 line workers, tree trimmers, surveyors and other field personnel. This includes the support of more than 180 mutual aid high voltage personnel.

For the latest in storm info, crew location and outage restoration visit the MyPower map at https://mypowermap.psegliny.com

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic