• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event

nj2va

Getting a wee bit close for the Euro, IMO. Not a huge fan of using it inside of 48 hours. Mainly just like to see if its general evolution is holding serve.

Nice to see the gfs and NAM continue the sharper trend with passing runs. Give me 2” of paste after a 30 degree temp drop and I’d be happier than a pig in shit. If the storm wants to 3K NAM my backyard, by all means.. but my expectations are low for this one. Hoping I’m far enough north for the temps and east for the qpf. Whichever area strikes that balance will see a mini jack.

17 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Getting a wee bit close for the Euro, IMO. Not a huge fan of using it inside of 48 hours. Mainly just like to see if its general evolution is holding serve.

Nice to see the gfs and NAM continue the sharper trend with passing runs. Give me 2” of paste after a 30 degree temp drop and I’d be happier than a pig in shit. If the storm wants to 3K NAM my backyard, by all means.. but my expectations are low for this one. Hoping I’m far enough north for the temps and east for the qpf. Whichever area strikes that balance will see a mini jack.

todays 0z suite is kinda the last global suite that really matters as mesoscale models start to become very good, but its very good to see that all of them trended postively in the way we want

besides rgem i think every global / mesoscale model trended better

• Like 1

06z NAM is slower with the cold air compared to the 00z NAM... though also slower with the system?  00z NAM at 12z MON had very little precip... 06z NAM says its snowing

Still ends up pretty nice across the region with a lot of 2-4 looking at Kuchera... i81 corridor again crushed

06z 3k NAM OTH... um, came up empty lets say across the region with literally zero snow outside the mountains... and even there its basically <1"

06z NAM is slower with the cold air compared to the 00z NAM... though also slower with the system?  00z NAM at 12z MON had very little precip... 06z NAM says its snowing
Still ends up pretty nice across the region with a lot of 2-4 looking at Kuchera... i81 corridor again crushed

06z 3k NAM OTH... um, came up empty lets say across the region with literally zero snow outside the mountains... and even there its basically

Classic 3k head fake as everything else trends better. Toss
  • Haha 2

I hope the flakes fly for the NW crew, but it's just good to see a juiced up storm. Looking like a widespread 2 inch+ rain event. Good sign as we head into our better climo period. Looks like a sloppy Ravens game.. hopefully they can run for 300.

I got Lamar at qb in a must win game for fantasy. He had been a bust this season fantasy wise

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

My head tells me to not buy this. My heart wants it to be true. 

The NAM surface is warm but the 850’s are cold. Heavy precip would drag that air down I would think. Who knows

Look at the run to run difference in surface temps with the Nam. 7 Degrees warmer across the area from 00z to 6z.

I will say this just looking at recent runs of the GFS- that shortwave is sharper and the trough tilts negative sooner, resulting in the surface low popping further south and a bit more developed as it hits the coast. That might be enough to allow the cold to come in with significant precip still ongoing.

1702274400-mCXbjnktDGY.png

1702274400-tFgbXryaNfs.png

• Like 7

Did a quick sounding check for my backyard on 06z models.

gfs 34 at 1am, nam 38 at 1am, euro 36 at 1am

It can def snow at 34-36, if it’s ripping. Agree with most that the NW crew will squeeze out minor accumulations, with PSU and others with more elevation probably measuring a few inches by Monday morning. 

• Like 1

During overnight hours, I think you could accumulate on cold surfaces with temps of 34, maybe 35 if it’s ripping. Anything above that is probably white rain. 

I’ve probably said this over and over… I’d love things to stick, but that’s not my goal. Goal is to have an hour or so (or more, on some NAM/GFS runs) where it is ripping and I can be on my balcony/apartment courtyard and have it feel like it can snow in this area again.

That said this would stick

13608e8c9e8817422c08d82c698977fa.jpg
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

During overnight hours, I think you could accumulate on cold surfaces with temps of 34, maybe 35 if it’s ripping. Anything above that is probably white rain. 

Yep, but surfaces aren’t going to be super cold after a warm rain all day first. Best to keep expectations low 

• Like 1

As 12z comes in I’m keeping an eye on something. Not only do we need to worry about boundary temps, there was a trend on the NAMs and HRR to be less amplified initially and develop the wave a little slower. HRRR barely gets it going in time to clip my area with a couple inches but further south misses out. Not because it’s not cold enough but because the wave doesn’t start to amplify in time to throw heavier precipitation into the cold side of the boundary until it’s northeast of the region. Another way to see this is by what happens further north of us. The better runs of the gfs/euro/nam for us have the axis of the heavy snow across upstate NY and NW Vermont. The newer runs of the NAM and HRRR have it across southern VT and NH because the storm amplified later and this further east.  We want to see this amp up earlier and further south. 
ETA: my analysis was of the 6z NAMs and 12z HRRR which comes out earlier.  Haven’t seen the 12z NAM yet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• nj2va changed the title to 12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event
  • stormtracker unpinned this topic