• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event

nj2va

There was another similar notable storm in April of 2000.  Same setup, wave developed long a strong cold front after a lot of rain.  I think that one dropped 2-3" in this area...was like 6-12" up in northeast PA up through NY State.  

Was just about to mention this storm. Grew up in the Hudson Valley in NY. I remember this storm vividly. We got SHELLACKED with heavy snow after seeing a decent amount of rain earlier in the day. One of the rare times cold air caught up very quickly, allowing an additional 1” of QPF to fall as snow. Incredible storm. We also had a similar rain to snow type event on Christmas or Christmas Eve in the early 2000s. Wave formed along a cold front. Temps dropped 25+ degrees within hours and woke up to nearly a foot of snow OTG.

Man, the good ole days. 1996-2010 was an absolutely incredible era for snow up that way.

• Like 2

Big red flag for me is there’s no real arctic air behind the system. When it’s supposed to have flipped over in the metro it’s 34f in Pittsburgh. That’s not gonna do it imo

There’s no precip falling in Pittsburgh at the time though. We don’t need deep arctic air. We need cold enough air (32-34) with precip falling. Not saying the 3k will play out as shown, but IF it did.. it can certainly snow here. Dynamic cooling does wonders.

• Like 1

816 PM EST Fri Dec 8 2023

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE SUNDAY
NIGHT...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...Portions of DC, including the following , District of
  Columbia, Maryland, including the following areas, Anne Arundel,
  Cecil, Central and Southeast Howard, Central and Southeast
  Montgomery, Charles, Northern Baltimore, Northwest Harford, Prince
  Georges, Southeast Harford and Southern Baltimore, and northern
  Virginia, including the following areas, Arlington/Falls
  Church/Alexandria, Central and Southeast Prince
  William/Manassas/Manassas Park, Fairfax, Southern Fauquier and
  Stafford.

* WHEN...From Sunday afternoon through late Sunday night.

* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers,
  creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.
  Flooding may occur in poor drainage and urban areas. Storm drains
  and ditches may become clogged with debris.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
  - Two to three inches of rain are expected Sunday through late
    Sunday night with the heaviest rains falling during the
    afternoon and evening. This amount of rain could cause
    flooding of small streams, creeks and urban areas.
  - Please visit www.weather.gov/safety/flood for flood safety
    and preparedness information
  • Like 2

What is that 50 mile wide swath of 4 to 8 inches just west of i95 on the 3km NAM?
Shows up on Kuchera and 10:1 PW maps 

Verbatim, those places are just far enough east to see heavy qpf linger as cold air has already worked its way into the area. The likelihood of that happening is quite low, but man.. if nearby suburbs could somehow pull that off, that’d be epic.

1 minute ago, Weather Will said:

WB 3K NAM with surfaces temperatures either near or above freezing the depth map would be much more realistic. I would be thrilled with an inch or two....

IMG_2241.png

If it's coming down at 4" an hour, it'll stick more than that too, honestly. The thing is it won't. 

NAM overampedness aside, both seem to pop that follow-up low in a good spot to keep things going after the temps crash to around freezing and the upper levels cooperate. That's the key for anything more than the T-1" of "snow" (outside our best spots) that all the other models are willing to say could happen, I think. 

• Like 2

WB 3K NAM with surfaces temperatures either near or above freezing the depth map would be much more realistic. I would be thrilled with an inch or two....
IMG_2241.thumb.png.888b8ce0609378137fef9f9d988c363a.png

I have a very hard time believing what the kuchera / 10:1 is spitting out (shows 7+” IMBY within the span of 3 hours LOL)… BUT… if it hypothetically snowed as hard as the 3K NAM depicts, temps being at 32-34 would be irrelevant. Those types of rates would overcome near freezing temps (32-34)

Would it melt quickly? Yes. Would I give a shit? Absolutely not.

14 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I have a very hard time believing what the kuchera / 10:1 is spitting out (shows 7+” IMBY within the span of 3 hours LOL)… BUT… if it hypothetically snowed as hard as the 3K NAM depicts, temps being at 32-34 would be irrelevant. Those types of rates would overcome near freezing temps (32-34)

Would it melt quickly? Yes. Would I give a shit? Absolutely not.

If it was snowing that hard, roads would quickly cave. Almost 5 inches per hour? LOL. Is this Buffalo?

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

• nj2va changed the title to 12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event
  • stormtracker unpinned this topic