• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2023/24 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

I'm cautiously optimistic, but yes, the parade of systems is beautiful to look at. Just hope that when the cold gets here we have a nice extended stretch of deep winter. give me a beautiful blanket of snow and the cold and freezing lakes, and I'll be happy. The modelled cold the 2nd half of January is actually quite impressive on the long-range ensembles.

13 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

I have a 2 year old who has yet to go sledding due to the lack of snow the past couple seasons. She is old enough to keep up with her big siblings now, so hoping to be buried (mostly so I can send their asses outside and get some peace and quiet, lol). 

Amen to that and my four little ones! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

I have a 2 year old who has yet to go sledding due to the lack of snow the past couple seasons. She is old enough to keep up with her big siblings now, so hoping to be buried (mostly so I can send their asses outside and get some peace and quiet, lol). 

We got our 2 year old on skis this year. He loves sledding, and seems to really enjoy skiing too.

7 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Andy, you still in Norman? About 2-3" there through 384 hours according to that run.

Meanwhile the 12z Euro absolutely hammers the I-44 corridor with a historic winter storm next week.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Meanwhile the 12z Euro absolutely hammers the I-44 corridor with a historic winter storm next week.

Yesterday the Euro had this strong system hitting Minneapolis.  This morning it's Oklahoma to St. Louis.  Models appear to have very little grasp of this system for now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Yesterday the Euro had this strong system hitting Minneapolis.  This morning it's Oklahoma to St. Louis.  Models appear to have very little grasp of this system for now.

Only 1 week of model mayhem to go. It's funny that 7 days out, the Euro, GFS, and Canadian are shockingly similar. Im sure as we get closer they will diverge more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Only 1 week of model mayhem to go. It's funny that 7 days out, the Euro, GFS, and Canadian are shockingly similar. Im sure as we get closer they will diverge more.

Fully expecting mby to see less then 4” through this period but it’s absolutely wonderful to have lots of active wx to track in the region.

• Like 1

The potential of the late-week storm is big.  The 18z GFS 500 mb setup is phenomenal and shows what would be the greatest storm on record for Iowa.  Cedar Rapids has had its worst flood ever and worst thunderstorm ever in the last fifteen years.  It is way past time for a powerful blizzard.

image.thumb.png.1ad29e3a3b93d97d4442482964a2df59.png

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The potential of the late-week storm is big.  The 18z GFS 500 mb setup is phenomenal and shows what would be the greatest storm on record for Iowa.  Cedar Rapids has had its worst flood ever and worst thunderstorm ever in the last fifteen years.  It is way past time for a record-breaking blizzard.

image.thumb.png.1ad29e3a3b93d97d4442482964a2df59.png

Is it possible that the early next week storm is just an appetizer? lol. I was so impressed by that (not necessarily by snow totals, just the strength of the trough/sfc low in general and also interested in the :twister:potential in the coastal states), I didn't really bother to look beyond.