Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room - Winter 23/24 Edition

mappy

28 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I dread bugs every year. I use this. Spray it around the perimeter of the house- along the foundation, door sills etc with a garden sprayer. I start in mid March and do it every month or so. Has a long lasting residual. Once it dries its not harmful to humans. You can spray it inside- can be used for bed bugs. Good shit.

https://www.diypestwarehouse.com/products/suspend-sc

Thanks. Should I spray before it rains, or when we have a dry forecast coming up?

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Agree. But the bugs this year are going to be relentless because of the warm wet winter.

Yea, we've had some light mosquito seasons recently, at least around here.  I was getting tore up during our rainy years.  Not really looking forward to that, but it's the price you pay to play.

• Like 1

Mosquitoes are a different story. Because I have a seasonal woodland wetland on my property, Spring mosquitoes are like clockwork, unless we have a super dry Winter/early Spring. To avoid an unmanageable swarm that can only be knocked back with  malathion, I have to larvicide in late March, and then I hit it again a few weeks later for good measure. If I do that, I won't see a mosquito until those invasive Asian Tigers show up later in Summer. Those bastards seemingly don't require any water to breed(they do, but very very little).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Mosquitoes are a different story. Because I have a seasonal woodland wetland on my property, Spring mosquitoes are like clockwork, unless we have a super dry Winter/early Spring. To avoid an unmanageable swarm that can only be knocked back with  malathion, I have to larvicide in late March, and then I hit it again a few weeks later for good measure. If I do that, I won't see a mosquito until those invasive Asian Tigers show up later in Summer. Those bastards seemingly don't require any water to breed(they do, but very very little).

After wet winters like this I can literally see them swarming around me when I go for a walk in the woods near the creek by my house. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CAPE said:

I dread bugs every year. I use this. Spray it around the perimeter of the house- along the foundation, door sills etc with a garden sprayer. I start in mid March and do it every month or so. Has a long lasting residual. Once it dries its not harmful to humans. You can spray it inside- can be used for bed bugs. Good shit.

https://www.diypestwarehouse.com/products/suspend-sc

When you grow up on the Eastern Shore,  bugs are unpleasant at times and just a fact of life. Having said that, I fully endorse your harshest mitigation strategies. 
    I also want ( most of) you to know I truly appreciate what you and other knowledgeable people freely give to all of us. It is fascinating and educational. I am learning much from the contributors here.
     I spend a lot of time outdoors and I look pretty much to this forum on a regular basis for guidance…

That’s definitely has to qualify as some kind of disorder, though, I have learned from reading…..

Cheers for spring, or whatever happens next.

• Like 2

I like his enthusiasm. I try to be optimistic, but he outdoes me by a lot lol. He will learn and become jaded like the rest of us older fucks.
The collapse happened so fast...right after that 6z gfs run that gave us 38 inches. But we still had our chances in the magic Feb 12-22 window

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

It isn’t over. Just wait. But what will come are the miserable events. Anomalous cold, tainted by the fact that it’s during a warmer climate period like April, wind, even snow that falls and somehow melts faster than it came. I hate the next two months more than I hate July and August and that’s saying a lot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It isn’t over. Just wait. But what will come are the miserable events. Anomalous cold, tainted by the fact that it’s during a warmer climate period like April, wind, even snow that falls and somehow melts faster than it came. I hate the next two months more than I hate July and August and that’s saying a lot.

I tend to like April, but if you are along the coast in the NE (NYC, and even worse, Boston), it can suck.  I remember days in NYC where you'd be enjoying a nice spring day, temps in the mid 70s, then BAM - wind shifts to the southeast and you get the marine layer coming in.  Fog and temps 45-55 for days.  Meanwhile it's still warm further west.

59 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It’s over man. You’re our greatest optimist and i love you for it, but I can almost feel it in my bones. And you’re right about March and April.  It’s going to be miserable because we’re going to get blocking and -NAO probably late March early April when it’s cold, but too warm to snow. 

• Like 2

Just now, WxUSAF said:

March and August are reliably the worst 2 weather months in our area. 

March is an awful month in which to have a birthday.

I don't mind the weather in August, but it's a bit of a grind as swim season ends and we're waiting for school to start. For me, the first couple weeks of September is truly awful since we usually get hot, but the pool is closed.

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

March is an awful month in which to have a birthday.

I don't mind the weather in August, but it's a bit of a grind as swim season ends and we're waiting for school to start. For me, the first couple weeks of September is truly awful since we usually get hot, but the pool is closed.

Usually we manage to get 1 nice cold front in August and it’s glorious. So awful when it goes back to HHH after that. 

• Like 2

I hate spring so much. Summer is closer to winter at least
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

The absolute worst is the March wind. And the warm days with bare trees and no shade.  I may dislike spring even more than summer.

March is typically still wintery here.  I think our April is like your March then the rough month is May when is often stays cold and wet.  Summers ( July can be perfect ) are actually my favorite time of year out here because we have very low humidity, few bugs and almost always cool mornings ( 40's & low 50's most summer mornings ) Crazy part I'll be spending a couple weeks in wonderful VA July heat and humidity for my daughters wedding.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

lol I love all weather.. a reason I wouldn't move up north is they don't get much of a severe wx season. The further west you go, toward maybe Buffalo though.. but not SNE, it's pretty much snow and that's it. depressing Springs. 

sne does way better with severe than us dont htey? They have great bad weather for the most part

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic