Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room - Winter 23/24 Edition

mappy

3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I feel really bad for all the ski resorts up and down the Eastern US. Those folks are taking a massive hit on revenue. It's tough when there is just no snow, and it's too warm. What's really bad is its too mild to make snow. Wisp looks so forlorn.

So much for "just move north", lol You'd have to move north, west, and maybe a little further west!

• Like 1

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

So much for "just move north", lol You'd have to move north, west, and maybe a little further west!

if I won the Powerball tomorrow, I'd probably move to the Northern Rockies or even in the Canadien Rockies. Brooks Range in Alaska wouldn't be too shabby in the snow/vodka cold department either.

Those folks get demolished every winter, they just can't help it.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I sort of half-joked in my home forum that at least we will have the annual mid to late March slush storm to look forward to. But in actuality, that could be true if these weeklies and extended products are even partly correct. If Jan 7 threat doesn't work out, it may be time.

It’s all we seem to get anymore. Really warm meteo winter and then unwelcome cold to mid May. With a late march tease that someone always says “where was this setup in January”…

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Jesus Christ lol. Fuck it.. I'm taking the Bob Chill route and going to enjoy the weather regardless. I love hiking. Looks like great weather for some long day hikes this month. I love growing weed in my greenhouse. Looks like perfect weather for keeping the electric bill lower.

You’re getting it! Welcome to sanity lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sort of half-joked in my home forum that at least we will have the annual mid to late March slush storm to look forward to. But in actuality, that could be true if these weeklies and extended products are even partly correct. If Jan 7 threat doesn't work out, it may be time.

This is why I don’t agree with taking our prime snow window into March. I don’t find March to be very reliable for snow…yes, it can snow, but it’s more similar to December than February...at least for the lower elevations.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

It’s not just the lack of snow that’s worrisome- it doesn’t even get cold anymore.  I realize I live at the beach but in the next 10 days in nearly the heart of winter it’s only supposed to be below freezing 3 nights. With the coldest low being 27 

lol we don't even get below 30 in the city.

Just now, AtlanticWx said:

for fun, i did an analysis of the snow events we've lost due to climate change. the results were pretty surprising, but it wasn't as high as i thought it'd be. still alarming -- we're losing an average of ~1.1 snow events per year. 

snow_events_lost.png

the 8" storm is the late feb 1983 snowstorm btw. it'd be a rainstorm today.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Me too. I am feeling no pain at all. Although PSU just got smacked. :(

Not sure why.  He is a board legend and calls it like he sees it.  It’s all the same data we all look just how it’s interpreted.  Everything he said was spot on for that model run at 6z.  Then it changed.  It can change back in two swigs of an IPA at happy hour.  

Just now, BristowWx said:

Not sure why.  He is a board legend and calls it like he sees it.  It’s all the same data we all look just how it’s interpreted.  Everything he said was spot on for that model run at 6z.  Then it changed.  It can change back in two swigs of an IPA at happy hour.  

LMAO. I was talking about PSU football. But yeah. I dont get the ganging up on psu either. Dude is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board. And he said nothing false at all. People lose their shit during snow droughts. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

LMAO. I was talking about PSU football. But yeah. I dont get the ganging up on psu either. Dude is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board. And he said nothing false at all. People lose their shit during snow droughts. 

Thanks for the kind words...but its just frustration with our current situation.  Our area is in the midst of several historic snow droughts.  Several places have now gone the longest without an inch of snow in recorded history!  Baltimore City has gone 8 years without a 6" snowstorm!  And many of our regional reporting stations have had the least snowy 7 year period in recorded history.  I think objectively the last 7 years have been the worst snow period in our regions history. 

Add to that this year offers legitimate potential to break out of it.  Our first moderate or stronger Nino in 8 years.  Add to that a -QBO, solar cycle phase, and long range guidance predictions of blocking and there is serious hope and expectations this year will break us out of this funk.  So anyone coming along raining on that parade, even if its with sound scientific analysis and factual data, is going to be met with a LOT of hostility! 

Notice when I analyze a good run of the long range guidance I get 25 likes... the same exact analysis of the same guidance when its not good and I get a bunch of "why are you talking about that, it's long range, what are you looking at that tool, why are you saying this over and over".  Funny no one says any of that when I post something that looks good and say how awesome it is.  I get it.  It's ok. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words...but its just frustration with our current situation.  Our area is in the midst of several historic snow droughts.  Several places have now gone the longest without an inch of snow in recorded history!  Baltimore City has gone 8 years without a 6" snowstorm!  And many of our regional reporting stations have had the least snowy 7 year period in recorded history.  I think objectively the last 7 years have been the worst snow period in our regions history. 
Add to that this year offers legitimate potential to break out of it.  Our first moderate or stronger Nino in 8 years.  Add to that a -QBO, solar cycle phase, and long range guidance predictions of blocking and there is serious hope and expectations this year will break us out of this funk.  So anyone coming along raining on that parade, even if its with sound scientific analysis and factual data, is going to be met with a LOT of hostility! 
Notice when I analyze a good run of the long range guidance I get 25 likes... the same exact analysis of the same guidance when its not good and I get a bunch of "why are you talking about that, it's long range, what are you looking at that tool, why are you saying this over and over".  Funny no one says any of that when I post something that looks good and say how awesome it is.  I get it.  It's ok. 

I didn’t realize bmore has struggled with secs/mecs level snow like that. I think Jan ‘19 brought up to 10” in Bethesda. It was pouring snow for several hours with that last band.

8 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I didn’t realize bmore has struggled with secs/mecs level snow like that. I think Jan ‘19 brought up to 10” in Bethesda. It was pouring snow for several hours with that last band.

My last double digit snow out here was that crazy ass Miller B thing in January of 2021. And I barely broke 10 inches total over 3 days with that thing. 

That was a nice happy hour run. Posting my analysis here because I'm a newb and because its 180+ hours on an OP. I love the track off the coast so we in the lowlands avoid the screaming easterly/southerly winds. 700 and 850s look good, but surface is marginal for fall line and east. would love a stronger high up top. no idea wtf is going on at the 500mb level

My last double digit snow out here was that crazy ass Miller B thing in January of 2021. And I barely broke 10 inches total over 3 days with that thing. 

Yea that one underperformed in Bethesda…I think it was like 3 days of periodic light snow lol. Good for the winter vibes, but not the most efficient of storms.
  • Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic