Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Frankly some of our snowy Nino periods were even warmer than people realize because snow cover severely depresses temps. 

This statement verifies many statements 50 years ago from observers.  "Some of our heavy snow winters were not all that cold".   Very cold winters like 76-77 suppress storms.

• Like 1

Surprised weeklies run daily now. And even though Iove how they look today, the fact that they’re flip flopping so hard hardy increases any confidence in them. Let’s see if they stick with the new look the next several runs. 

Weeklies shouldn’t run daily.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Surprised weeklies run daily now. And even though Iove how they look today, the fact that they’re flip flopping so hard hardy increases any confidence in them. Let’s see if they stick with the new look the next several runs. 

May as well just call 'em dailies and be done with it, lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Ji said:

details? I thought the weeklies occured on Mon and Thursday

They went back to flipping the NAO/AO negative by early Jan and run the table that way. PAC backs off some creating the “it” look for mid Atlantic snow.  

36 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I don’t bring them up everyday.  I tend to view them over a period of time for trends. I brought them up the other day not because they suddenly were bad but because they were bleeding the wrong way consistent for 5 days. I finally thought it was worth mentioning after multiple worse runs. Usually I wouldn’t bring them up again so soon except since I seemed to start a mini shitstorm (it’s a technical term) with my observation of the negative I’d point out they had a very good run today. 

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

Just seems to make their value less. Sorts when gfs runs 4 times a day

I disagree. As long as you don’t freak out over every single run. Each run has the same exact value the old 2 runs a week had. Only now you don’t have to way several days to see if it was a fluke. You can watch trends. Come to some conclusions quicker perhaps. More data is better so long as you aren’t emotional about each run.  I know that’s a big ask though. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

He is a troll, and a perpetual dick.

Well duh. An extended Pac jet, with an equatorward shift, is a hallmark of an El Nino. Ofc he makes posts like this to claim a torch is imminent. Jet extensions with an exit region closer to the US west coast also happen to favor a +PNA, but more so when the jet is shifted poleward. So an El Nino winter can feature both periods of +/-PNA, or be predominantly one phase or another in a given season depending on the exact character/strength of the event. The strength and position of the NE PAC vortex determines to a large extent how much cold air is available in Canada/US during a Nino, and so other factors such as AO/NAO phase are paramount in determining whether or not we have a colder/snowy outcome. But yes, let's make it all about the NPJ, which is an ever present influence on the downstream pattern, regardless of ENSO state, especially during the winter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Well duh. An extended Pac jet, with an equatorward shift, is a hallmark of an El Nino. Ofc he makes posts like this to claim a torch is imminent. Jet extensions with an exit region closer to the US west coast also happen to favor a +PNA, but more so when the jet is shifted poleward. So an El Nino winter can feature both periods of +/-PNA, or be predominantly one phase or another in a given season depending on the exact character/strength of the event. The strength and position of the NE PAC vortex determines to a large extent how much cold air is available in Canada/US during a Nino, and so other factors such as AO/NAO phase are paramount in determining whether or not we have a colder/snowy outcome. But yes, let's make it all about the NPJ, which is an ever present influence on the downstream pattern, regardless of ENSO state, especially during the winter.

As far as a perpetual one , I don't know but, I'd venture to say he likes perpetual one's. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

He knows 90% have no idea what he’s talking about.

The way I look at it…to simplify, in a true west based modoki Nino like 2003 and 2015 the N pac trough is likely to set up far enough west that the nao isn’t as critical.  In a super east based super Nino like 1998 the pac trough will be displaced so far east and dominant the nao won’t matter we’re screwed.  But in all the rest the NAO is critical in determining our fate. If the NAO is negative enough to buckle the flow we will get enough trough in the east for the equation to work. If the nao is positive there is nothing to stop the pacific airmass east of the pac trough from just blasting across the CONUS under the positive NAO. Luckily the tropical forcing in a Nino is such that it also has the e highest correlations to -nao of the enso states. Add in ascending solar, descending -QBO and a weak spv and we “should” be good.  

Right now Webber can troll because with a raging pos NAO that pac configuration won’t work. But watch what happens if the nao flips. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

He knows 90% have no idea what he’s talking about.

The way I look at it…to simplify, in a true west based modoki Nino like 2003 and 2015 the N pac trough is likely to set up far enough west that the nao isn’t as critical.  In a super east based super Nino like 1998 the pac trough will be displaced so far east and dominant the nao won’t matter we’re screwed.  But in all the rest the NAO is critical in determining our fate. If the NAO is negative enough to buckle the flow we will get enough trough in the east for the equation to work. If the nao is positive there is nothing to stop the pacific airmass east of the pac trough from just blasting across the CONUS under the positive NAO. Luckily the tropical forcing in a Nino is such that it also has the e highest correlations to -nao of the enso states. Add in ascending solar, descending -QBO and a weak spv and we “should” be good.  

Right now Webber can troll because with a raging pos NAO that pac configuration won’t work. But watch what happens if the nao flips. 

I think we agree, we will see -NAO episodes but probably not sustained(nothing like 2009-10), and more of the character of 2016- although hopefully sooner and a bit more frequent in late winter.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Wth is the 6z gfs doing on Christmas eve? :blink:

oh you know just your typical retrograde of an Atlantic low hundreds of miles before phasing with northern stream energy, stall/loop, bring some flakes then off it goes.  no biggie lol.  nice to see HP anchored in E Canada that long, of course it's only the op...

11 minutes ago, susqushawn said:

oh you know just your typical retrograde of an Atlantic low hundreds of miles before phasing with northern stream energy, stall/loop, bring some flakes then off it goes.  no biggie lol.  nice to see HP anchored in E Canada that long, of course it's only the op...

Yep I eta to my post right after. Just an odd look.

Just now, dailylurker said:

That's one Giant ocean storm. Looks like the storm on Saturn lol

The uncertainty of that timeframe is making this more interesting.  Beats the steady march of warm Pac air that would arrive with Santa like we were looking at few days ago.  This could be fun...or not.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic