Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

brooklynwx99

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

NYC had fewer freezing or lower days this year than Raleigh, NC.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY - Jan through Dec
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Number of Days Min Temperature <= 32 
Missing Count
1 2023 28 3
2 2012 38 0
3 1998 39 0
4 2020 41 0
5 1990 47 0

Time Series Summary for Raleigh Area, NC (ThreadEx) - Jan through Dec
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Number of Days Min Temperature <= 32 
Missing Count
1 2023 35 3
2 1990 39 0
3 2012 44 0
4 2020 48 0
5 1994 50 0
- 1946 50 0

That now happens about once every four years. The most recent occurrence prior to this year was 2020. Columbia, SC will have more such days for the first time since 1984 and only 6th time overall.

• Like 2

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 64 (1984) record warmth was waning but continued one more day
NYC: 65 (1984)
LGA: 63 (1984)

Lows:

EWR: -8 (1933) * no official records in Newark but unofficially -15 in 1933
NYC: -13 (1917) *frigid
LGA: 3 (1962)

Historical:

1880 - The temperature at Charlotte, NC, plunged to an all-time record cold reading of 5 degrees below zero, a record which was equalled on the 21st of January in 1985. (The Weather Channel)

1917 - A great cold wave set many records in the northeastern U.S. The mercury plunged to 13 degrees below zero at New York City, and to 15 degrees below zero at Boston. Temperature readings dipped below zero at Boston five nights in a row. Berlin NH hit 44 degrees below zero in the "Great World War I Cold Wave," and Saint Johnsbury VT reached 43 degrees below zero. (David Ludlum)

1933 - The temperature reached 50 degrees below zero at Bloomfield, VT. It was the coldest reading in modern records for New England. The temperature at Pittsburgh NH reached 44 degrees below zero. (David Ludlum)

1955 - Anchorage, AK, reported an all-time record snow depth of 47 inches. (30th-1st) (The Weather Channel)

1987 - A storm in the western U.S. produced heavy snow in Utah, with 28 inches reported in the Mount Holly and Elk Meadows area. Strong winds prevailed ahead of a cold front in the central U.S. Winds gusted to 46 mph at Dodge City KS, and reached 80 mph at Ruidoso NM. Strong northerly winds, ushering arctic cold into the north central U.S., created blizzard conditions in western Minnesota and central and eastern South Dakota. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Unseasonably cold weather prevailed in the southwestern U.S. A week of subfreezing temperatures in southern California claimed the lives of five people. Redding CA was blanketed with four inches of snow. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Extreme cold continued across northern Maine. Milo ME was the cold spot in the nation with a morning low of 38 degrees below zero, and the low of 31 degrees below zero at Caribou ME was a December record for that location. Freezing rain spread across much of Lower Michigan, knocking out electrical power to 1.9 million customers in southeastern Lower Michigan. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2003: The first time in five years, sections of Las Vegas receive an inch or two of snow on cars, roads, sidewalks, and trees, while snow flurries fell on downtown and the Strip.

2008 - Severe to extreme drought was observed across parts of the Hawaiian Islands, the western continental U.S., and parts of Georgia and South Carolina. Meanwhile, severe to exceptional drought conditions were present across southern Texas. (NCDC)

2017: Funnels/steam devils were observed on Lake McConaughy, Nebraska in the morning. A boundary moved over the lake's 'warmer' water (compared to the surrounding air). The combination of converging winds and energy added by the lake helped spin these up. 

16 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

New York City's second warmest December on record is concluding. Blossoms can be found in parts of the New York Botanical Garden. 
image.jpeg.ef9a11063284230432082432937acd0a.jpeg

image.jpeg.ef5fdbcc7cd99847435c2f2dfd9750f3.jpeg

image.jpeg.72bc9d0254f142c8a886ca7335e3bbe4.jpeg

image.jpeg.e6b0c1ea955fb0873fca0f88ecfdec78.jpeg

I've recently noticed streets with cherry blossoms blooming around Morris Park and Pelham Pkwy

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Some of the cherry blossoms have come into bloom in Central Park, too.

Just an absolutely historic year with record breaking heat from Key West to the top of Mount Washington. Unreal.

Nice symmetry there too. One of only three years with a mean average temperature greater than 80F at Key West (2023, 2020, 2019), and one of only three years with a mean average temperature greater than 30F at Mount Washington (2023, 2012, 1998).

image.png.36be8517b5e40ad8953e79255ad3f5d8.png

image.png.747b32c0139ef11d0f9ff03a3f2e1afc.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SACRUS said:

23 years ago this storm - believe this was prior to the wright weather boards and the old weather boards (NE)

Dec 30, 2000 pre New years eve storm

https://www.weather.gov/media/phi/StormReports/WSS20001230.pdf

I think wwbb was already happening by then, not sure about the NE board.

That was a good storm but if memory serves it was pretty wet by me. 

18 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

That now happens about once every four years. The most recent occurrence prior to this year was 2020. Columbia, SC will have more such days for the first time since 1984 and only 6th time overall.

they will be less affected by AGW than us in terms of cold lows.

They don’t have an urban heat island, and they are inland.

What is missing in this discussion is that the days that go below freezing have the potential to be much lower up here than they do down there.

what is alarming is how few days New York City is now going below freezing.

8% of days. really on the cusp of saying this is no longer a winter city if this continues unabated

Looking into 2024, I dont see many night below freezing for CPK thru mid month

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

they will be less affected by AGW than us in terms of cold lows.

They don’t have an urban heat island, and they are inland.

What is missing in this discussion is that the days that go below freezing have the potential to be much lower up here than they do down there.

what is alarming is how few days New York City is now going below freezing.

8% of days. really on the cusp of saying this is no longer a winter city if this continues unabated

Looking into 2024, I dont see many night below freezing for CPK thru mid month

We haven’t been below freezing even here in the suburbs in 6 days. Crazy for end of December and it could be another full week…so that would be 2 weeks without a low below freezing outside of the heat island…

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, psv88 said:

We haven’t been below freezing even here in the suburbs in 6 days. Crazy for end of December and it could be another full week…so that would be 2 weeks without a low below freezing outside of the heat island…

if you live in the suburbs, you’ll be below freezing on the first. But I get your point.

4 hours ago, SACRUS said:

23 years ago this storm - believe this was prior to the wright weather boards and the old weather boards (NE)

That was an amazing storm in Long Beach where I lived at the time. Absolutely dumping snow and thunder. And the rain snow line stayed east of me when it was expected to make it into the city. The low made a last second tick east which kept the city and W LI in it for 12”+. Went from that to all rain within maybe 20 miles. Same places made up for it though in the 3/5/01 storm that for the city was a disaster.

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Pretty sure I notice some plants waking back up. Last “winter” we had flowers blooming in early February. It’s just nuts. 

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

That was an amazing storm in Long Beach where I lived at the time. Absolutely dumping snow and thunder. And the rain snow line stayed east of me when it was expected to make it into the city. The low made a last second tick east which kept the city and W LI in it for 12”+. Went from that to all rain within maybe 20 miles. Same places made up for it though in the 3/5/01 storm that for the city was a disaster.

Exactly.  Here's the screenshot I took at the time showing the rain/snow line sitting jusssssssst southeast of the Nassau/Suffolk south shore border.  (When I tell people here to forget the radar and go enjoy the darn snow, I speak from experience lol.)  To this day the heaviest/lowest visibility snow I have ever seen, going back to 1980.  

image.png.e5af8511aaa2125c82b3f16625f8a680.pngimage.png.31d2d2c6af38b902ffbc8b8276e86f6d.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Exactly.  Here's the screenshot I took at the time showing the rain/snow line sitting jusssssssst southeast of the Nassau/Suffolk south shore border.  (When I tell people here to forget the radar and go enjoy the darn snow, I speak from experience lol.)  To this day the heaviest/lowest visibility snow I have ever seen, going back to 1980.  

image.png.e5af8511aaa2125c82b3f16625f8a680.pngimage.png.31d2d2c6af38b902ffbc8b8276e86f6d.png

I don't remember the city expecting to flip to rain but I know west of Philly down through DC had a major bust with 4 to 8 forecast and only flurries. Also that back edge didn't advance much. The heavy stuff just pivoted around. It's crazy that the places that had over 2 feet did so in under 10 hours

5 hours ago, SACRUS said:

The storm that kicked off 2 decades of amazingly snowy seasons and killed the rut of those rough late 90s winters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Pretty sure I notice some plants waking back up. Last “winter” we had flowers blooming in early February. It’s just nuts. 

The rosemary in my garden put on 4-5" of growth the last few days. Gonna do a batch of rosemary roasted potatoes on the grill tomorrow. Springtime for New Years! boo 

• Like 1

New York City's second warmest December on record is nearing an end. Temperatures will remain somewhat above seasonal norms as 2023 wraps up as New York City's warmest year on record with an annual mean temperature of 58.0° (old record: 57.4°, 2012).

The first week of January will likely feature somewhat below normal temperatures. However, severe cold appears unlikely. Initially, the arrival of a colder regime could coincide with a drier one, so snowfall prospects will remain limited. The second week of January could offer better opportunities for snowfall, as the retreat of cold air could occur while the pattern becomes wetter.

There remains some uncertainty concerning the magnitude and duration of the colder period that could develop. At this time, it appears more likely than not that it will be seasonably cold or somewhat colder than normal with a duration of 1-2 weeks.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +1.6°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +2.0°C for the week centered around December 20. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +1.75°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.98°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing.

The SOI was +10.74 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.505 today. Strong blocking in the final week of November, as occurred this year, has often been followed by frequent blocking in December and January.

On December 28 the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 2.103 (RMM). The December 27-adjusted amplitude was 2.028 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal December (1991-2020 normal). December will likely finish with a mean temperature near 44.5° (5.4° above normal). That would make December 2023 the 2nd warmest December on record. With 2023 virtually certain to be among the 10 warmest Decembers on record, 60% of New York City's 10 warmest Decembers have occurred since 2000, including 40% since 2010, and all have occurred since 1980. Records go back to 1869.

I'm active on UK forum net-weather so over there, 2023 will be the second warmest year, last year (2022) was warmest, in the very long series of Central England Temperature data (1659-2023). Last year was 11.1 C, this year will be rounding off at 11.1 also but it's generally thought they will assign it second place based on second decimal values. 2014 is third in their records, and 2006 is fourth. It's a very similar record of steadily rising averages since about 1980. One of the warmer past intervals was around 1724 to 1739, years that are mostly a blank for North American record keeping. Coldest intervals were 1675 to 1709 (maunder minimum) and 1795 to 1823 (Dalton minimum). 1870s to 1910s were also quite cold.

Another similar feature of 2023 in UK (and Ireland) was despite overall warmth, not a particularly hot core of summer, with max temps around 90F in early to mid- June and September (which was their month to set a new record high average of 17.0 C). 

This past month in the UK started very cold but soon overcame that. You may recall an episode with heavy snow in Bavaria, the UK got a bit of snow then and sub-zero (C) temps, but the month warmed up quickly and averaged 7.0 C which will be around 15th warmest (like eastern US, 2015 is well out ahead of the rest, but unlike eastern US, most of the top ten Decembers are way back in their records, 1974 and 1934 are second and third, and so e of their top ten are in the 18th century.)

Also looking a bit closer to NYC, Toronto will record its fourth warmest year (possibly fifth, waiting for final Dec data), and also like NYC, a warm year but without any notable summer heat, annual max of only 91F (33C) occurred on June 2nd and again Sep 4th. Their long-term average for that statistic is 96F or about 35.5 C. I have tables of comparative NYC and Toronto data in my study in climate change section, quite often ranks will be similar, but you do find a few months that turn out relatively warmer at one or the other location in certain patterns. July 1916 and July 1921 were both considerably warmer (relative to normals) at Toronto, but periods in 1979 and 2003 (among others) were relatively warmer at NYC, storm tracks must have been between the two locations frequently in such years

This trend to bland, not-cold weather is not exactly what was feared from global warming, it's more like global blanding. I don't prefer it, but perhaps this is going to be the new normal, and weather forums will slowly empty out as people take up new hobbies, as tracking this sort of "muck" as they like to call it in the UK is a borefest of epic proportions. (rant over) (#make it stop) 

• Like 1