Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'm old and i don't.............:lol:

All kidding aside, I enjoy browsing around a good bookstore.  When we travel I try to make a point of checking out the local book section in book stores... I've found some gems featuring local storm events... The best pictorial book on the 38 hurricane I ever came across was found in a bookstore in Watch Hill... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wish we could trust the weeklies more…they look amazing for January. But really the confidence drops so much after D10-12 even on the regular ensembles…nevermind weeklies. 

If there’s one takeaway from the last couple of runs starting last night, it’s that even if the central Canada blocky pattern doesn’t produce, it’s a good omen for the polar domain later on…we should avoid a ‘94-95 evolution even if we temporarily look like 1994 for a week in December. 

Agree...  I still think the long range modeling had it right about Jan & Feb featuring Pacific energy under-cutting higher heights across western and central Canada leading to a very active storm pattern... The only question will be amount of cold sitting across eastern Canada and the Northeast prior to the arrival of each storm.  I would roll the dice with this type of pattern any winter.  Hopefully we see cold periods hang in there enough times to allow for some widespread snow events...

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wish we could trust the weeklies more…they look amazing for January. But really the confidence drops so much after D10-12 even on the regular ensembles…nevermind weeklies. 

If there’s one takeaway from the last couple of runs starting last night, it’s that even if the central Canada blocky pattern doesn’t produce, it’s a good omen for the polar domain later on…we should avoid a ‘94-95 evolution even if we temporarily look like 1994 for a week in December. 

Yea, this won't be 1994-1995.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wasn’t that a raging pac nino season? I vaguely remember a nino sometime in the mid/late 90s that was warm and wet which actually skewed my belief back then that “el nino’s” are bad for our winters.  

We had one good storm in Feb with a very cold shot after for several days. That was winter.

• Like 1

Why are we bringing up ‘94-‘95 so often?

Between that and 2011-2012 I’m not sure which winter wins as the worst of all time. ‘94-‘95 is tantamount to, “Hey … remember that girl that broke your heart so bad it took 10 to 15 years to get over and about $30,000 worth of psychotactic treatments …?” 

Thanks for bringing it up… Lol

Worst I’ve ever ever experienced. I tend to give it to ‘94-‘95 as the all time ahole because the Halloween storm in 2011 was such an unusual specter it kind of gives that winter a little bit back. Of course, then there’s philosophy over whether that storm took place actually in winter -  makes that a bit dubious. 

Making any kind of comparison to the 1994 right now is probably the worst troll anyone could come up with. Beautifully done.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wasn’t that a raging pac nino season? I vaguely remember a nino sometime in the mid/late 90s that was warm and wet which actually skewed my belief back then that “el nino’s” are bad for our winters.  

It's a decent Pacific analog, but it was descending solar on the heels of Pinatubo, so the pole is very different.  I also expect the PNA to be more positive this season, which is working out, so far.

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Why are we bringing up ‘94-‘95 so often?

Between that and 2011-2012 I’m not sure which winter wins as the worst of all time. ‘94-‘95 is tantamount to, “Hey … remember that girl that broke your heart so bad it took 10 to 15 years to get over and about $30,000 worth of psychotactic treatments …?” 

Thanks for bringing it up… Lol

Worst I’ve ever ever experienced. I tend to give it to ‘94-‘95 as the all time ahole because the Halloween storm in 2011 was such an unusual specter it kind of gives that winter a little bit back. Of course, then there’s philosophy over whether that storm took place actually in winter -  makes that a bit dubious. 

Making any kind of comparison to the 1994 right now is probably the worst troll anyone could come up with. Beautifully done.

Christine?

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

Hoping for some rain pain (3-6") to loosen up soil/roots, easier to take 'em down

After the last one didn't pan out I have a feeling they won't be so apt to bring in line crews to hang out for nothing again... lines could be down for a while this time