Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nope. This was basically relegated to above 800’ last year. All those pics were my street . Every yard lost some kind of tree . I want something damaging and widespread that causes infrastructure problems 

Been there in 1953 and 1998, the 2 storms 45 years apart, to the day.  As a forester, I'd be fine if the next one didn't come until 2043.

Nice flurry 7:15-7:30 this morning, briefly S+.  Of course, while the Greens get 3-4", Our 0.1" coating has to suffice here.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes there is not a single poster here that would not want to live through that and witness. No matter how much they “say” they don’t. We know 

Meh lived thru 94 shotguns. Satiated. Hopefully you get 3 inches of ice though so you can finally stop wishing. Would definitely love to drive to witness your annihilation though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Been there in 1953 and 1998, the 2 storms 45 years apart, to the day.  As a forester, I'd be fine if the next one didn't come until 2043.

Nice flurry 7:15-7:30 this morning, briefly S+.  Of course, while the Greens get 3-4", Our 0.1" coating has to suffice here.

Yea we saw the windex window coming yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Meh lived thru 94 shotguns. Satiated. Hopefully you get 3 inches of ice though so you can finally stop wishing. Would definitely love to drive to witness your annihilation though.

All of us pull up to Dittys house and just waive with popcorn in hand, leaned back in our seats, as his wife and kids cry the roof is on the kitchen floor with an oak tree sitting on the couch while Ditty frantically runs around his yard with a chainsaw in shock it actually happened while simultaneously regretting the wish. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’ve experienced Oct 11 power outages and the May 18 EF1 destruction and power outages. It’s not fun at all dude. It just isn’t. Take your weenie out of your mouth and understand some of us prefer livelihood over a some brief destruction. 

You didn’t mention seeing a 2” ice storm though. Oct ‘11 was snow and May ‘18 was wind.  Once we see the 2” ice storm then we can put it to rest finally. 

• Confused 1

It really sucks we don't have a better supply source to drain in colder air. That is going to be a wall of precip given how intense the WAA is going to be. Sucks we also can't drive the southern stream system offshore a bit more with the north stream energy phasing in. I hope we can get something like this next month.

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

You didn’t mention seeing a 2” ice storm though. Oct ‘11 was snow and May ‘18 was wind.  Once we see the 2” ice storm then we can put it to rest finally. 

No thanks. He can pimp damage for his own BY. I wish him all the lost structures and grid failures his jogging heart desires.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It really sucks we don't have a better supply source to drain in colder air. That is going to be a wall of precip given how intense the WAA is going to be. Sucks we also can't drive the southern stream system offshore a bit more with the north stream energy phasing in. I hope we can get something like this next month.

2nd impulse actually drops a wide swath of 2-5” of snow for the deep interior . That’s new. And a third wave drops more snow maybe a few inches for all . Weirdest storm evolution ever. From tropical storm to a few inches of snow. 

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

2nd impulse actually drops a wide swath of 2-5” of snow for the deep interior . That’s new

Really not sure what to think of it. I mean when you look at how 500mb evolves, the scenario is a plausible one, doesn't mean it's likely but at this stage you can't really discount anything. 

The PWAT anomalies are absolutely insane. 5+ SD across a large area

image.png.61c02262dc4d9e574dda7eb23ca06969.png

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Really not sure what to think of it. I mean when you look at how 500mb evolves, the scenario is a plausible one, doesn't mean it's likely but at this stage you can't really discount anything. 

The PWAT anomalies are absolutely insane. 5+ SD across a large area

image.png.61c02262dc4d9e574dda7eb23ca06969.png

Makes sense with the tropical origins  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

2nd impulse actually drops a wide swath of 2-5” of snow for the deep interior . That’s new. And a third wave drops more snow maybe a few inches for all . Weirdest storm evolution ever. From tropical storm to a few inches of snow. 

Let’s eliminate the rain and the snow and have it all be ice .

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 2

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes there is not a single poster here that would not want to live through that and witness. No matter how much they “say” they don’t. We know 

4 kids, no thank you....I will take a few feet of snow though

I think/hope the GFS is trying to tell us something, maybe our bad luck will finally run out next week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm just using an old man rule of thumb. It's hard to get ZR from a coastal. 

Unless, we had a sharp front aligned more N-S and stalled over the Cape I suppose. 

Ice is like wind....9/10 times its overdone on guidance...and the one time it isn't fuels Kevin's sideways weather takes for another 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is obviously hugely subjected to change ...but, there is some value in noticing the excessive ( more so than even is typical at this range) variability, and not assuming the worst just because one may not see it literally illustrated on a given model run.  

This look is wild for the 23rd

gfs_z500_vort_us_41.png

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm just using an old man rule of thumb. It's hard to get ZR from a coastal. 

Unless, we had a sharp front aligned more N-S and stalled over the Cape I suppose. 

yeah, I hear ya.

I spent time having some fun with the Nov 1921 ice storm earlier.  According to reanalysis, that was a coastal.  But that was exceptionally rare. By and large, it's more typical to get it done the other way.

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah, I hear ya.

I spent time having some fun with the Nov 1921 ice storm earlier.  According to reanalysis, that was a coastal.  But that was exceptionally rare. By and large, it's more typical to get it done the other way.

I think that was my "unless..." example though? Wasn't there a more N-S front?

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is obviously hugely subjected to change ...but, there is some value in noticing the excessive ( more so than even is typical at this range) variability, and not assuming the worst just because one may not see it literally illustrated on a given model run.  

This look is wild for the 23rd

gfs_z500_vort_us_41.png

We just need to get that closed 534dm contour about 100mi bodily south.