• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

It's 'a little' less common to cut a low from a starting point around Atlanta GA, but in this era of repeating negative results I guess.  

The EPS 00z 500 mb depicts the N/stream crashing the party over Chicago.  That's new.  Some of the guidance had been fiddling with more phasing  - this particular run didn't fiddle around!  That'll do it.   

Anyway, whether that happens or not really doesn't change a rainy windy time for everyone - just a matter of where the low goes.  

There may be some 'pinch' low lingering hope later in the week but that should/could be considered a different event if something does like the 06z GFS.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's 'a little' less common to cut a low from a starting point around Atlanta GA, but in this era of repeating negative results I guess.  

The EPS 00z 500 mb depicts the N/stream bullying over Chicago.  That's new.  Some of the guidance had been fiddling with more phasing  - this particular run didn't fiddle around!  That'll do it.   

This, along with occlusion, is one of the reasons I hate Miller A systems....sure, Miller B can hug/cut or occlude...but there is more time for unfavorable developments when they cover that much more ground. Nothing like having all of those nascent mechanics explode into existence right underneath Long Island...much more margin for error.

I get that having the N stream phase in too aggressively is the issue here, but just saying....less time to do that if it had developed later.

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is the one that gave me like 20" and ORH 5" hahaha

No that was the 12/29/76 storm....the 1981 storm was decent in ORH...I think they had close to a foot. But it was definitely better in the 128 belt where some 18+ amounts happened.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Cheap midnight highs, but that was a -10°F afternoon here not including wind chill. One of the most brutal afternoons. 

Definitely in the top five of coldest that I remember.  Decided I would be the first one on the lift at Burke mountain. I seriously considered jumping off after about 200 ft. Rode the lift back down.

• Like 1

I heard some interesting responses as to why the pattern did not move forward as anticipated 2 weeks or so ago. Over the last two months each of the MJO passages were followed by a big downwelling couplet. This latest one has not featured that and in fact combined with a standing wave at the dateline. So there might have been enhanced mass transport north...IE fueling the PAC jet. We finally are seeing a Nino response.

I think once that subsides it will help force more of an Aleutian low. Indeed you can see that on guidance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This, along with occlusion, is one of the reasons I hate Miller A systems....sure, Miller B can hug/cut or occlude...but there is more time for unfavorable developments when they cover that much more ground. Nothing like having all of those nascent mechanics explode into existence right underneath Long Island...much more margin for error.

I get that having the N stream phase in too aggressively is the issue here, but just saying....less time to do that if it had developed later.

Funny, but Miller Bs are a problem down here.  The new surface low bombs at the baroclinic boundary that is the coast and forms the first big def band over NJ into the HV.  That band decays while a triple point forms, the new low takes over further east, and a new band forms for you guys.  Our best storms seem to be lucky As that that track just inside the BM.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Funny, but Miller Bs are a problem down here.  The new surface low bombs at the baroclinic boundary that is the coast and forms the first big def band over NJ into the HV.  That band decays while a triple point forms, the new low takes over further east, and a new band forms for you guys.  Our best storms seem to be lucky As that that track just inside the BM.

Feb 2013?