Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I read this...then look at the time.

DEPRESSING 

Well I’m not that close to sunset…lol. Looks like I’m about 9 minutes earlier than you. But I start losing the sun behind the western pines and oaks a bit after 2pm. 

However, the sunsets start creeping upward starting tomorrow. 
image.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well I’m not that close to sunset…lol. Looks like I’m about 9 minutes earlier than you. But I start losing the sun behind the western pines and oaks a bit after 2pm. 

However, the sunsets start creeping upward starting tomorrow. 
image.png

My office room window at home faces East and it sucks this time of year because it starts getting dark by like 3 PM with the sun towards the other end of the house. Glad we finally start ticking later (Albeit slowly) with sunsets in the next few days but still like another 4-5 weeks of the sun rising later...yuck

• Like 1

Just now, amc said:

Looked like earlier there wasn't really anything in Portland now? Is this now completely a downcast storm now? 

It's all going to depend on where the mid level front sets up. There won't be any really wind west of that. 

I mean that same NAM run has 8 knots at PWM and 63 knots at Cape Elizabeth.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

A nice TDS in Tennessee. Forgot what severe weather looks like its been so dead

image.thumb.png.214248e74d723f75f26f23cc83b571cf.png

Is that near Clarksville?  My wife’s friend here in Stowe is distraught as her family’s house just got leveled within the past hour.  They had about 60 seconds to get into the storm shelter from the time of the sirens.  There’s a young baby only a couple months old there and they have nothing left.

• Sad 8

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Is that near Clarksville?  My wife’s friend here in Stowe is distraught as her family’s house just got leveled within the past hour.  They had about 60 seconds to get into the storm shelter from the time of the sirens.  There’s a young baby only a couple months old there and they have nothing left.

Damn. Tors suck.

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's all going to depend on where the mid level front sets up. There won't be any really wind west of that. 

I mean that same NAM run has 8 knots at PWM and 63 knots at Cape Elizabeth.

Wow... we'll see I guess, so is westerly ticks are good for wind, bad for snow everyone else is watching right now? I'm all rain here in Gray, so I'm rooting for wind only at this point

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I believe that cell did go through the area. 

So sorry to hear that, I hope everyone is alright. I saw a video on X...not sure if if it was that tornado but it was a pretty large tornado tearing through a neighborhood. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That’s awful!  I’ll take thunder and lightning but you can keep tornadoes and ice.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah for sure, I guess that’s why I keep saying it as QPF falling as snow.  Not jackpot actual snowfall on ground or anything.

In a big coastal, it’ll still show you were the most QPF will fall as snow.  It’s up to you to figure out the ratios.

And ratios drive the deformation bands.  Not QPF.  That’s on the user to adjust the ratio to QPF.

Its a very crude tool.  Like when I see a snow map, the second image is what I see.

336BFE44-39A7-42A0-A26C-59AC81014C9D.thumb.png.d515783f5ed2809f47e17727b22af9ff.png

7843A0EB-29DD-45F9-85D6-0BD47114C57B.jpeg.c4118fcd82c86b3354431f5dd266dc5a.jpeg

I feel like the QPF max is also sometimes associated with the mid level deformation. Not always..

• Like 1

It's been an interesting 7 days up to this point with this thing.  Back whence ...recall a model run where the GFS had this up just SE of James Bay.  This run of the NAM has it cutting across the Canal.   Seems to be slightly E btw -  has it ending as parachutes in PHL-NYC.  

Nothing in Boston though which is apparently the way it should be now.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's been an interesting 7 days up to this point with this thing.  Back whence ...recall a model run where the GFS had this up just SE of James Bay.  This run of the NAM has it cutting across the Canal.   Seems to be slightly E btw -  has it ending as parachutes in PHL-NYC.  

Nothing in Boston though which is apparently the way it should be now.

The primary is still a lakes cutter . What the models and some Mets missed was the 30 mb drop in 12 hours secondary riding up the front over ENY

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The primary is still a lakes cutter . What the models and some Mets missed was the 30 mb drop in 12 hours secondary riding up the front over ENY

I dunno.... At some point it's not a secondary.  

Secondary mechanics happen because the primary cyclostrophic flow runs into a problem moving through the terrain of the Apps ... then also because the colder/denser air wedged to the east of the 'divide' is also resistant.  The air mass near the water/or over the water does not have these viscous limitations, so as the mid and upper level mechanics move east the "primary" gets stranded and the "second" low, being generated by the same mechanics that ultimately carried the primary, then takes over.  

When a first low ends up so far up into Canada it's not even on the map, and a low develops on the cold front down in Alafuckinbama, that's not a secondary.  It's just a cyclogenesis.   This is a Miller A low, period.

• Thanks 1