Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Won’t be like the ones we had in the 90’s with trees bent to the ground.. but if these soundings are anywhere close to correct .. there’ll be 50-64 mph gusts .. mainly south of pike and east of a Springfield/ HFD line. Basically the area that sectors. We’ve seen these so many times.. it’s generally that setup 

You're just making things up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Won’t be like the ones we had in the 90’s with trees bent to the ground.. but if these soundings are anywhere close to correct .. there’ll be 50-64 mph gusts .. mainly south of pike and east of a Springfield/ HFD line. Basically the area that sectors. We’ve seen these so many times.. it’s generally that setup 

Yeah I remember an overnight early 90's? screamer that had swaths of really good damage all over SNE.  All night there were power flashes and stuff crashing down, had to be 70mph

4 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah I remember an overnight early 90's? screamer that had swaths of really good damage all over SNE.  All night there were power flashes and stuff crashing down, had to be 70mph

I always laugh at the mehs and no wind and frontal passage posts on these. Think about Xmas morning 2 years ago . That was a great example of the mehs and folks woke up to no power and a foot of snow wiped to grass 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

12/17/00 was pretty epic…ironically that was a frigid month too but we had that one big screamer in the middle of it and it didn’t disappoint. 

Trying to remember the early 90s one being reference but can’t really. Though I tended to to ignore cutters back then so I don’t remember them as well as snow events. 

• Haha 1

Xmas Eve 1996 was a good one too…ruined the White Xmas chances here but it was very windy. 

Not technically an so southerly screamer,  but we had an epic wind nor Easter (esp on the coast) in Dec 1994 on Xmas Eve into Xmas day. It was subtropical iirc…no cold anywhere so it was rain even into the mountains of NNE despite a benchmark track. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

12/17/00 was pretty epic…ironically that was a frigid month too but we had that one big screamer in the middle of it and it didn’t disappoint. 

Trying to remember the early 90s one being reference but can’t really. Though I tended to to ignore cutters back then so I don’t remember them as well as snow events. 

My memory is terrible, I'll check out that 12/17/00.  The screamer I'm thinking of was up there with the 2010? SE NH deal easily.  I know you and winter enthusiasts have little or no interest for antyihng but desired winter wx, but I love HWW events

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was  a Monday night in 1993.  I remember it was a Redskins game, and all hell breaking out at RFK.  An hour later it hit us.  That front ushered in a great winter.

23 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

My memory is terrible, I'll check out that 12/17/00.  The screamer I'm thinking of was up there with the 2010? SE NH deal easily.  I know you and winter enthusiasts have little or no interest for antyihng but desired winter wx, but I love HWW events

I’ll imbibe in a legit HWW event but they are generally so rare around here in the interior. The 12/17/00 one though was crazy. I think we gusted 65-70 and lost power for a few hours. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

It was  a Monday night in 1993.  I remember it was a Redskins game, and all hell breaking out at RFK.  An hour later it hit us.  That front ushered in a great winter.

Hmmm not ringing a bell. Was it in December or earlier in the autumn? The only cutter I recall in Dec 93 was 12/21/93…it was more of a HV runner but we got into the warm sector and got windy. I don’t remember massive winds here but elsewhere in SNE wouldn’t have surprised me. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’ll imbibe in a legit HWW event but they are generally so rare around here in the interior. The 12/17/00 one though was crazy. I think we gusted 65-70 and lost power for a few hours. 

Yes, but we all know this roach on Sunday won’t be that. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Gotta wait until May or June for widespread 65-70 mph winds with convection. 

Even then it’s rare. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There were a few in the 90’s we had that were life changers. I’ll say maybe one in 91-92 and maybe a similar one 93-94 or 95-96. One was in November. I lived in Vernon then and there were so many white pines and Evergreens snapped. Gusts 65-70. Again out of the SSE which any met SHOULD know.. is a trees most damaging direction . Sunday night looks like that potential . Especially east of Bristol 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Hmmm not ringing a bell. Was it in December or earlier in the autumn? The only cutter I recall in Dec 93 was 12/21/93…it was more of a HV runner but we got into the warm sector and got windy. I don’t remember massive winds here but elsewhere in SNE wouldn’t have surprised me. 

You don't remember. It didn't happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You recall the one last year. I’m not at all. There was l30-40 west of HFD. And posters didn’t believe the damage and 50-60 east . I recall all the posts about the surprise while areas east got ripped. I just dint remember which month it was 

Damage from the Grinch storm last year:

Lot's of other examples from that storm too.

December24-2022.jpg

• Like 1

Another big HWW event that doesn't get the attention that it deserves is 03/02/2018. It was a totally different synoptic setup from this but for the PVD area it was a benchmark system imo. KPVD consistently had sustained 40+ mph for several hours with gusts 65+. Those winds coupled with over 2 inches of rain created a lot of damage, even though the trees had no leaves. Even 10/29/2017 earlier that season didn't achieve this feat in the PVD area, and yet that event was apparently more notable for inland areas.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

EPS mean and Euro keep increasing gusts. 925 has been steadily ramping. Hopefully this is real deal . We want every tree, line, and Christmas lawn inflatable down .

I agree, I'm all for a good night of storm coverage with the fire dept 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Faulty memory on my part.   After spending an hour researching MNF results, It seems to have been 11/20/1989.....ushering in a very cold six weeks.