Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

27 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Was in DC and that’s my favorite winter. By far. 

That was a frigid winter…esp down there. And DC had like 5 or 6 decent events that winter. Not a one storm wonder year. Long winter too…iirc DC got smoked St Pattie’s day…that’s really late for them. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

‘13-14 was solidly above average in our area for snow. It wasn’t a blockbuster but Boston had nearly 60” that winter. ORH was 85ish. 

Yes but it kind of petered out February and March. We had the near miss in March which left a sour taste in my mouth.  Really nice December and January though.

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yes but it kind of petered out February and March. We had the near miss in March which left a sour taste in my mouth.  Really nice December and January though.

I’ll admit Mar 2014 was a bitter pill to swallow. Threat after threat missed in all directions with like a -8 month. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

March 2015 was pretty similar....cold, dry, shitty ending...though March 2015 was a bit better south of pike.

Hard to be disappointed about that March considering those 6 weeks that preceded it. We were sort of in a post-lottery-winning haze then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

One of the most overrated for me..right up there with 1993-1994.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was a frigid winter…esp down there. And DC had like 5 or 6 decent events that winter. Not a one storm wonder year. Long winter too…iirc DC got smoked St Pattie’s day…that’s really late for them. 

Yeah that’s it. I lived in DC proper and basically after January 1 it was uninterrupted winter. St. Paddy Day Magic was wonderful. Incredible stuff and obviously I personally haven’t come close to seeing a winter like that since—there or here.

j9DH8W6.jpg

CMaMupl.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Hard to be disappointed about that March considering those 6 weeks that preceded it. We were sort of in a post-lottery-winning haze then

It wasn't hard for me....just kind of watched the historic pack rot away as the month invented new ways to not snow. Caused me to fall 12" shy of my 1996 seasonal record.

10 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

‘13-14 was solidly above average in our area for snow. It wasn’t a blockbuster but Boston had nearly 60” that winter. ORH was 85ish. 

Cracked 100" here, with 5 storms of 11" to 13.5", also Farmington's coldest March on record.  Excellent pack retention and the near misses to the south in March were a couple of good dumps here.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Man let’s 6z gfs haha. 

Pattern overall looks borderline in SNE going forward. Going to need something well timed. The block peak coincides with a lousy PAC look. I think anything in SNE generally waits until after the first week when the PAC improves somewhat. 

yeah the Pacific improves pretty dramatically once after the 5th

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-2274400.thumb.png.b31cf04124b589be26d661402b70fe76.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man let’s 6z gfs haha. 

Pattern overall looks borderline in SNE going forward. Going to need something well timed. The block peak coincides with a lousy PAC look. I think anything in SNE generally waits until after the first week when the PAC improves somewhat. 

Going to take a while to score out the pac air trapped by the block.

The last few years we have times these blocking episodes with the -pna 

54 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I expect this to get pushed back or more troughing out west to show up. You can't escape that -PDO and Nina background state 

why are we talking about a Nina background state during a borderline super Nino?

I swear, it doesn't snow last year and people are just saying random shit at this point. there is no such thing as a "Nina background state"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This was the milder PAC look that was modeled before any block.  That block is probably helping prevent a very warm look. 

The only change I have really seen that is bad and probably was expected or logical is models have sort of lost how fast the change from 12/3-12/6 or so happened but that might be just the fact the air mass gets poisoned somewhat and ensembles/op runs 5 days ago probably rushed the change a bit or underestimated the time it might take to flush out the moderated pac air