joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

46 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

December-January 1965-1966 is what I was thinking of. Ray's favorite analog 

540893821_DJ1965-1966.png.4c93998d24cd1f3443b60c3f65db0397.png

Another one of my favorite analogs also featured a PV disruption around that time frame, 1986-1987..different Pacific look, though....1986-1987 has the same issue that I told you 1957-1958 had, though it is a better polar analog IMO.

Primary Polar Analogs: 1965-1966, 1986-1987, 2002-2003, 2004-2005

This plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Fuck Webb. I know that’s not professional, but give me a break. He is such a tool bag. Grade A craftsman tool chest.

Wasn’t he just trolling the winter crew on Twitter a week ago about a blowtorch/snowless December? 

This type of discourse is what keeps me from doing wx Twitter. 

• Like 3

Just now, George001 said:

some of these maps being posted look like last years December pattern. I like seeing the -NAO, but I’m not buying in unless the pacific cooperates. Just not cold enough

the fact that the -NAO is showing up at all is the important part. also, we shouldn't have a strong Nina SE ridge influence like we did last year

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the fact that the -NAO is showing up at all is the important part. also, we shouldn't have a strong Nina SE ridge influence like we did last year

It could work out, but I heard the same things last December. I fell for it and bought in last time, I’m not falling for it this time. Especially with the really warm ocean temps im not expecting much of anything for my area in December. Yes it’s a strong nino and not a Nina, but strong ninos especially -PDO ones have their own set of issues.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, George001 said:

It could work out, but I heard the same things last December. I fell for it and bought in last time, I’m not falling for it this time. Especially with the really warm ocean temps im not expecting much of anything for my area in December.

last year had a great December pattern. roll the dice with that look and you'll cash in 8/10 times... just didn't happen last year, what can you do

Composite Plot

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The western trough isn’t nearly as deep as last December 10-20th. Also the NAO block is further north. 

Doesn’t guarantee anything but both of those aspects were part of the reason last December failed to give us a prolific event. 

You always want to see blocking showing up early since it often repeats itself later in winter. I’ll want to see this on multiple model runs though before believing it. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wasn’t he just trolling the winter crew on Twitter a week ago about a blowtorch/snowless December? 

This type of discourse is what keeps me from doing wx Twitter. 

I just do it to gather info..especially when doing my Outlooks...but I seldom engage 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

The December relaxation period is actually trending less problematic with each run.  NAO ftw.

Yeah it was good to see the -NAO not only showing up again, but the pattern got even colder than the 12z run. I think we’d all roll the dice with that look….still a lot of bust potential given this pattern just started showing up, but it’s certainly a positive trend 

IMG_9701.png

IMG_9700.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it was good to see the -NAO not only showing up again, but the pattern got even colder than the 12z run. I think we’d all roll the dice with that look….still a lot of bust potential given this pattern just started showing up, but it’s certainly a positive trend 

IMG_9701.png

IMG_9700.png

Locking in 12/8