Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah. I think once the Pacific starts to get better we have more of an opportunity in SNE and coastal areas. The pattern that supports milder weather is there, but the blocking is new. So once we get rid of the crap airmass in Canada, we’ll have a shot.

Check out the comparison between the early December forcing and January 2003.....lends confidence to my conclusion of an interior focused start to the season.

4AF251A7-2DC8-4C6C-9F0E-6E37FD84F8D9.thumb.png.e94ebcd833ce5cf7f77fa052fe35f4ec.pngThis plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah. I think once the Pacific starts to get better we have more of an opportunity in SNE and coastal areas. The pattern that supports milder weather is there, but the blocking is new. So once we get rid of the crap airmass in Canada, we’ll have a shot.

Pacific looked more hostile the first few days of December on yesterday's and last night's runs than we saw on Tuesday/Wednesday....but as you said, it doesn't last very long. The NAO blocking is still showing up, which is probably the most important variable for a positive outlook later in the winter.

Weeklies have been quite weenie-ish beyond mid-month too and you can see one of the reasons why on the MJO/RMM plots....we emerge into weak/COD phase 8 around mid-month. Note that the phase 4/5 stuff has mostly disappeared....fewer and fewer members show significant waves into that region now. 

image.png.ea1594368eedd96fe3a88ff91d674856.png

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don't think his progression is unreasonable....though I probably wouldn't speculate on severe cold in January at this point. But it def looks to become more favorable toward mid-December.

But that definitely doesn't mean we cannot score an event in the first 10 days....with the NAO blocking like that, you always have to watch. GEFS looked pretty nice actually just beyond 12/5 with a solid +PNA to go with the NAO blocking....Euro/EPS wasn't quite as enthusiastic aboutt he PNA but still not bad at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

By the end of the winter he will have thrown so much spaghetti on the wall he will claim victory... Does it every year.  This call has some pattern progression merit but I see it from him every winter.

• Like 1

If that blocking does materialize, perhaps that round of blocking doesn't net us much, however, I think it will set the stage for some bigger things to come once we move towards the end of the month or into January. I seriously hope though this NAO isn't overblown. If we can get blocking like this in December...watch out. Those who went with torch December just b/c "that is strong EL Nino climo" must be sweating...and it's not from the torch either. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think the variability in the handling of the MJO will continue to cause some back and forth in the December guidance causing various fist bumping and bridge jumping for a little while longer which is a bit uncharacteristic as we approach the solstice but this high end strong Nino is not behaving like many have in recent years.  I’m giving it another week before I make any declaration based on any evidence of how December untimely plays out.

• Like 3

GEFS show you a less hostile N PAC too...it retrogrades the -PNA trough between D7 and D10 back to the GOA (and even nearly to the more classic Aleutian low position) to pop a bit of western ridging. That helps in trying to sneak a coastal threat into the mix the firts half of the month,

I'd like to see the EPS do that too...it showed a little western ridging, but not nearly as much as the GEFS on the 00z suite. The Euro suite on the weeklies waits more until that 3rd week of the month to show more western ridging.

• Like 1

EPS definitely showed more western ridging today....he's the Dec 3rd-8th five day mean 00z vs 12z run

You can see the western ridging increased on the 12z run but also the lower heights near AK were more retrograded toward the Aleutians on the 12z run which helps pop that western ridging. So this may be a period to watch if we can keep this look as we get closer.

Nov24_EPScompare.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS definitely showed more western ridging today....he's the Dec 3rd-8th five day mean 00z vs 12z run

You can see the western ridging increased on the 12z run but also the lower heights near AK were more retrograded toward the Aleutians on the 12z run which helps pop that western ridging. So this may be a period to watch if we can keep this look as we get closer.

Nov24_EPScompare.gif

AK ridging showing up later in the run. great pattern overall

IMG_3554.thumb.png.4c71f80dfccd5af2b6c33a07bf9851dd.png

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nov24_EPScompare.gif

Yeah I like what I see so far. 

21 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

after all that ranting and raving about weenies, he has come full circle. life comes at you fast, i guess

Our long range guy for weeks has been saying this has shown similarities to 2009. Maybe he should focus on the atmospheric response and not every .01C daily change at region 3. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Our long range guy for weeks has been saying this has shown similarities to 2009. Maybe he should focus on the atmospheric response and not every .01C daily change at region 3. 

same. i do LR forecasting at my company with a couple others and 2009 was a top analog since the summer

• Like 1