Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Man.. Mets gone wild today . Expect big big things folks 

Promising trends but I’d wait until closer and actual threats emerge to expect big things. 

But at least it’s not a pattern that looks like garbage. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah, rare you see so many mets going wild for a wintry long-range look.  Seems like nothing can go wrong.

I'm with you on December...we will have some shots, which is already a leg up on any recent month of December..but I need to see the whites of a threat's eyes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Pacific is nothing like last year, though.

Yeah this looks much better…esp after about the 3rd or 4th of December. We’re actually popping a bit of western ridging on all ensemble guidance after that time. 

We know the NAO blocking is extremely likely at this point given that the onset of it is now inside a week, just want to see that improvement on the PAC side get closer. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this looks much better…esp after about the 3rd or 4th of December. We’re actually popping a bit of western ridging on all ensemble guidance after that time. 

We know the NAO blocking is extremely likely at this point given that the onset of it is now inside a week, just want to see that improvement on the PAC side get closer. 

I'm excited....will be firing up the guidance package this coming week.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The prospect of 2009 with a more pedestrian DM mean NAO intrigues me a great, great deal.

Can you expound upon why a less negative NAO could still produce snowstorms in 2023? It seems to me the deeply negative NAO of 2009-2010 may be off the board but maybe other factors come into play.

8 minutes ago, Jersey Andrew said:

Can you expound upon why a less negative NAO could still produce snowstorms in 2023? It seems to me the deeply negative NAO of 2009-2010 may be off the board but maybe other factors come into play.

You don't need an exotic anomaly like that...in fact, it was so extreme that it was of a detriment to most of NE, as it wrapped milder maratime air in from the NE and also blocked some systems from coming up the coast.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You don't need an exotic anomaly like that...in fact, it was so extreme that it was of a detriment to most of NE, as it wrapped milder maratime air in from the NE and also blocked some systems from coming up the coast.

Fig2.png

Bunch of mountain men trying to hang themselves from moose antlers up in The County.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Pacific is nothing like last year, though.

Nothing about this year is like last year..you guys have been all over this. There was a bit of a hangover in October with the torch trolls, but I think if people have realistic expectation and If the baseline is last year, expect big things. 2009 our relaxation period was mid jan if I remember, then we went wild in feb starting in the mid Atlantic first, correct?

45 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That was the Snowicane winter where we got hosed and southwest of us cleaned up, wasn't it? We actually did ok total wise, but the Midcoast and New York cleaned up if I remember correctly.

11 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Nothing about this year is like last year..you guys have been all over this. There was a bit of a hangover in October with the torch trolls, but I think if people have realistic expectation and If the baseline is last year, expect big things. 2009 our relaxation period was mid jan if I remember, then we went wild in feb starting in the mid Atlantic first, correct?

Yeah the mid-Atlantic didn’t really get much snow until the very end of January. We actually had a nice storm in early January in New England with a retrograde job that gave widespread 6-10” type totals with some much higher jackpots in NNE with upslope/lake Champlain enhancement.  Then we had the MLK storm that was pretty solid over interior MA. Honestly, by the end of January, it actually hadn’t been a bad winter at all over interior SNE. 

Things turned for the worse in February though from a frustration standpoint. Missing KU after KU. 2 suppressed and one retrograding right on top of us. 

• Like 1

Yeah the mid-Atlantic didn’t really get much snow until the very end of January. We actually had a nice storm in early January in New England with a retrograde job that gave widespread 6-10” type totals with some much higher jackpots in NNE with upslope/lake Champlain enhancement.  Then we had the MLK storm that was pretty solid over interior MA. Honestly, by the end of January, it actually hadn’t been a bad winter at all over interior SNE. 

Things turned for the worse in February though from a frustration standpoint. Missing KU after KU. 2 suppressed and one retrograding right on top of us. 

Ahhh I remember the KUs now…wasn’t up in jay yet back then, but was in northern jersey and even there, we missed until late feb. I remember 24 plus just 75 miles south. One of the tightest lines I’ve ever seen. They crept up to respectability over the course of the next few weeks, but I think Philly hit 18 plus three in a row.

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's what I remember most about that year, GFS came out the night before and the New Yorkers were high fiving while we were looking at heavy rain to Maine. I'd take my chances with another year like that though.