Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

27 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

We hope.

Of course we're driving up the Quebec City late Tuesday night and staying in Old Quebec City ( they have a great set up for Christmas ). Drive back Friday. Watch me miss this..lol ( although I know they have some decent Snow up there already ).

I was there this weekend.  Not a lot of snow in the city.  It was pretty chilly especially with the wind.  The most snow I saw was in the Eastern Townships around Thetford Mines.  The city is nice in winter though.

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

For some reason 12/5 always stuck in my head as a kid for the first snow, not always on that day but that's when I expected snow to start.

1957.  I believe the storm was 12/4-5.  In those days kids came home for lunch and my mother made a nice little lunch bday party for me having just turned 11 on the 1st.   It was cloudy with the sky lowering and clouds thickening but temperatures were a problem.   We ended up with a foot+ from the dynamic nature of the snow.  So yes-12/5 was seared into my memory early.  It was within a few days of that date the following year for our first meaningful snow.  50s/60s were early winters really lasting into the early 70s.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

1957.  I believe the storm was 12/4-5.  In those days kids came home for lunch and my mother made a nice little lunch bday party for me having just turned 11 on the 1st.   It was cloudy with the sky lowering and clouds thickening but temperatures were a problem.   We ended up with a foot+ from the dynamic nature of the snow.  So yes-12/5 was seared into my memory early.  It was within a few days of that date the following year for our first meaningful snow.  50s/60s were early winters really lasting into the early 70s.

I don't recall that early Dec storm in 1957, though we must've gotten 8-10".  It's the cold blizzard on Feb 15-16 and the paste bomb on March 20-21 that stick in my memory.  The Dec storms I remember came in 1960 (of course), and the near-Christmas events in 61, 63, 66(!) and 69.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weathafella said:

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I don't recall that early Dec storm in 1957, though we must've gotten 8-10".  It's the cold blizzard on Feb 15-16 and the paste bomb on March 20-21 that stick in my memory.  The Dec storms I remember came in 1960 (of course), and the near-Christmas events in 61, 63, 66(!) and 69.

:oldman:

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I was there this weekend.  Not a lot of snow in the city.  It was pretty chilly especially with the wind.  The most snow I saw was in the Eastern Townships around Thetford Mines.  The city is nice in winter though.

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

Wow... Thanks for the pictures. We have been there in the Summer but not in the Winter ... Looking forward to it ( maybe we will see some Snow fall while we are there next week ). 

44 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The '66 Christmas event had my brother and I shoveling the front sidewalk of my Dad's pharmacy.  There was a wave of men dropping dead of heart disease then so if there were able bodied offspring they were the default shovelers.  It was nice snow-maybe 4-6 inches in the Englewood/Tenafly area.  Mostly occurred Christmas morning similar to 2017 here but not as cold.

GFS trended better at 500 mb but decided to back off some of the Quebec +PP ...so the net result is a slightly warmer solution - still marginal ... and not a grouser solution considering the time range.

CMC went more sfc PP up N.  Slightly cooler at the surface with more secondary but it's still just +1C on the wrong side of marginal.  Again...nothing tormenting from this range.

The GEFs as I have seen them are only out 156 hours as of this typing ... interestingly more impressive with western hgts aft of the trough ejection - that's likely to ( or should) cause more amp conserved coming east/ more coherent signal near the ~ D. Marv to BM

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

The '66 Christmas event had my brother and I shoveling the front sidewalk of my Dad's pharmacy.  There was a wave of men dropping dead of heart disease then so if there were able bodied offspring they were the default shovelers.  It was nice snow-maybe 4-6 inches in the Englewood/Tenafly area.  Mostly occurred Christmas morning similar to 2017 here but not as cold.

We had close to 15" and mostly on the 24th.  I'd gone partridge/squirrel hunting mid-morning in light snow, and when I got to the 345kv towers a mile south of the house, I could hear the flakes being vaporized by the lines.  On the way home, game-less, the snow became heavy, and I heard a booming sound.  While trying to guess what had caused it (because, of course, it can't thunder in a snowstorm), a second boom of obvious thunder corrected my assumption.  That winter added up to about 100", the final 3 on April 27.

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro is a close miss for a follow up wave on Dec 6-7. So that’s one we may have to watch as well. 

Still think 12/3-4 is a heavy lift for SNE big snow, but not so much for NNE. 

Hope the Berks can sneak that one out. A near-shutout so far.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

EPS like day 6. But as many of us mentioned...lots of s/w's in the flow. That's going to be tough for modeling...but at least there's some bullets in the chamber.

That is the type of pattern where a system can pop at day 2 or 3....regardless of rain vs snow.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

EPS like day 6. But as many of us mentioned...lots of s/w's in the flow. That's going to be tough for modeling...but at least there's some bullets in the chamber.

There’s some good members in there…esp for northern half of SNE. But a few get everyone. At least there’s a reason to look at guidance inside of D7 right now. 

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is the type of pattern where a system can pop at day 2 or 3....regardless of rain vs snow.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

There’s some good members in there…esp for northern half of SNE. But a few get everyone. At least there’s a reason to look at guidance inside of D7 right now. 

Finally a high that is not modeled to move over a pod of right whales south of Nova Scotia. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think the follow up wave that was being discussed early would be preferable to many in SNE. First one is going to need a Hail Mary.

Im sure Hubb will be “surprised” by 4 or 5 inches of snow though with that first deal 

• Haha 1

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think the follow up wave that was being discussed early would be preferable to many in SNE. First one is going to need a Hail Mary.

Im sure Hubb will be “surprised” by 4 or 5 inches of snow though with that first deal 

Expectations low for you and I naturally...but I don't necessarily hate it for sure. If Ray got 10" and I had 2-3" of mashed...fine by me.