Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

54 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Better hope you capitalize. Everything looks like garbage after. 

Pacific looks horrible 

We’ve heard this more than twice already, from you and couple others.  T Giving and Beginning of December was supposed to be a torch if we go back to your posts from a couple weeks ago. Long range has changed twice on you.

Please…take your crap back to Jersey, where it belongs. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

We might have a short period of torching mid-month if EPS is correct…but even if that happens, all evidence points to a nice reloading of a +PNA pattern by the final 10 days of the month. 

I noticed guidance is really uncertain about that Dec 10-15 period. That’s where it could go torch for a time, but it also wouldn’t be surprising if it was not that warm and near normal instead. It all depends on what the NAO does and if we also get any temporary blockiness in Canada instead of a well-phased ridge which would produce a warmer outcome here. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We might have a short period of torching mid-month if EPS is correct…but even if that happens, all evidence points to a nice reloading of a +PNA pattern by the final 10 days of the month. 

I noticed guidance is really uncertain about that Dec 10-15 period. That’s where it could go torch for a time, but it also wouldn’t be surprising if it was not that warm and near normal instead. It all depends on what the NAO does and if we also get any temporary blockiness in Canada instead of a well-phased ridge which would produce a warmer outcome here. 

Agreed, bold.

Not sure about the other aspects you're describing - I've kept my observations more orbital. But the former aspects, I covered that in post yesterday.  Interesting statements from the MJO desk lend credence to +PNA. At long last  ... finally an MJO wave that is actually forecast to move into a constructive interference wave spacing by mid month . 

I would not be surprised if that was led by a -EPO burst; the projections on that are so far so-so and vague for now

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Agreed, bold.

Not sure about the other aspects you're describing - I've kept my observations more orbital. But the former aspects, I covered that in post yesterday.  Interesting statements from the MJO desk lend credence to +PNA. At long last  ... finally an MJO wave that is actually forecast to move into a constructive interference wave spacing by mid month . 

I would not be surprised if that was led by a -EPO burst; the projections on that are so far so-so and vague for now

Yeah the mid-month pattern is really diffuse on guidance right now...like take a look at the EPS at the end of the run....maybe a -EPO hint forming there (preceded by -WPO burst?) prior to any PNA spike further down the road?

Hard to say....but the notable part is just how tepid the anomalies are...that usually is a signal that theres probably a lot of disagreement amongst the ensemble members.

Nov29_00zEPS360.png

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wankum displayed an image of the 8-14 day anomaly map from the CPC, which had reds over the mid section of the country and said something to the effect of "this looks poised to move over our area thereafter, so a white xmas looks doubtful". 

I swear these guys get too comfy and complacent in addition to being conditioned to over simplify everything, which fosters bad habits.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wankum displayed an image of the 8-14 day anomaly map from the CPC, which had reds over the mid section of the country and said something to the effect of "this looks poised to move over our area thereafter, so a white xmas looks doubtful". 

I swear these guys get too comfy and complacent in addition to being conditioned to over simplify everything, which fosters bad habits.

Wankum said that? He would. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the mid-month pattern is really diffuse on guidance right now...like take a look at the EPS at the end of the run....maybe a -EPO hint forming there (preceded by -WPO burst?) prior to any PNA spike further down the road?

Hard to say....but the notable part is just how tepid the anomalies are...that usually is a signal that theres probably a lot of disagreement amongst the ensemble members.

Nov29_00zEPS360.png

I’m leaning after 18-20 for something workable around here I think. Doesn’t mean we are shut out, but that’s where I feel more comfortable.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m leaning after 18-20 for something workable around here I think. Doesn’t mean we are shut out, but that’s where I feel more comfortable.

Yes, exact same page...I have been saying Xmas week...not that it isn't serviceable before, but I wouldn't advise holding by breath during a "serviceable" pattern on the heels of an ugly one...at least not on the SNE CP, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Layman said:

Is there a reasonably defined or understood area that delineates the Southern New England Coastal Plain?  Is it basically Boston south?

Prob draw a line from about Haverhill to SE CT and then back along the south coast.....roughly SE of the line I drew below

image.png.5a61fbd2004e2f3c17ccab5f2fe9d5ea.png

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Prob draw a line from about Haverhill to SE CT and then back along the south coast.....roughly SE of the line I drew below

image.png.5a61fbd2004e2f3c17ccab5f2fe9d5ea.png

Yea, definitely just beyond me and SW to just beyond Lowell is about the extent to the CP...once you get past Lowell and my spot in east Methuen, the marine influence dies a quick death.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I suspect so...

You know, something I've noticed in the past, not 'reliable' per se but, as the noise of the mid range washes out ... sometimes the extended reveals a 'canvas' so to speak.

It could be early detection making that layout and as the time nears and the physics get more detectable (objectively..) - that's why the EPO "bursts"  ...WPO and NAO for that matter

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, definitely just beyond me and SW to just beyond Lowell is about the extent to the CP...once you get past Lowell and my spot in east Methuen, the marine influence dies a quick death.

Are you about 20 miles from the coast as the crow flies?  I'm about 8-10 miles from the coast depending on which direction you're facing and maybe 25 miles north of your latitude.  I'm assuming being closer to the coast has more of an affect than latitude in this area...?

Just now, Layman said:

Are you about 20 miles from the coast as the crow flies?  I'm about 8-10 miles from the coast depending on which direction you're facing and maybe 25 miles north of your latitude.  I'm assuming being closer to the coast has more of an affect than latitude in this area...?

As you go further north the marine influence generally is less in coastal storms. Once you get to your latitude the coastal fronts are pinned much closer to the coast. Obviously every situation is different, but many times cstl fronts stay near 95 near your latitude and north. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Layman said:

Yea, 15-20 probably. You only need to be about 10mi back from the ocean in NH because of the angle of the coast...NE winds tend to come off of ME more than the GOM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

And that reductive tendency has actually got a motivation to doom-cast against the hopes and dreams of anything resembling optimism.   I've pretty much just come to factor in and figure for a 30% 'not as bad as all that' ness, in order to vet the kernels of objective outlook.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

As you go further north the marine influence generally is less in coastal storms. Once you get to your latitude the coastal fronts are pinned much closer to the coast. Obviously every situation is different, but many times cstl fronts stay near 95 near your latitude and north. 

Is that generally good or bad?  :lol:

In 2015 we got dumped on over and over again like most everyone and piled up the snow.  Past 2-3 winters we've been on the rain/snow line consistently.  So much so that it will be raining at the house and a mile and half west toward town it's snowing and sticking.  One particular storm last year had the house at 0" accumulation but there was 4-6" 3 miles away.  I figured warm waters in the bay may have contributed to that but that's just a guess.  

Edit:  @40/70 Benchmark gave a clear answer on that - thanks

9 minutes ago, Layman said:

In 2015 we got dumped on over and over again like most everyone and piled up the snow.  Past 2-3 winters we've been on the rain/snow line consistently.  So much so that it will be raining at the house and a mile and half west toward town it's snowing and sticking.  One particular storm last year had the house at 0" accumulation but there was 4-6" 3 miles away.  I figured warm waters in the bay may have contributed to that but that's just a guess.  

You seem like you are about where I am in terms of proximity to the marine layer....as in obnoxious marine influence ends at the fence of your adjacent western neighbor.

12 minutes ago, Layman said:

Last year was also the winter of retreating highs. That helps the marine air penetrate further inland. A decent high position would have resulted in much different weather where you are. 

We have friends that live in Exeter, but formerly Epping. I recall one time back in 2013 right when I got to 101 there was just a semblance of frozen translucent crust. As I looked west on 101 from that spot, I could see the snow cover maybe 2 miles away. So I know what you mean with the sharp gradients. 

6z EPS reminds me of Schwoegler backlash talk. That low wants to scoot out, but another s/w is diving into the trough and keeping the low hanging back. Kind of like that youtube clip I like to post of him back in December '95 talking about another piece of energy coming down and reinvigorating the precip. 

• Like 1