Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discobs 2023

George BM

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I wouldn't think the LR radiation would be the culprit.  It would go through the dry air with little heating, whether the air is moving or not.  I would think the factor of moving air would be its ability to carry away the heat being transferred by convection.  Sort of like wind-chill for the earth 

I was thinking more about inversions and moisture/aerosols, but your convection idea is also solid.

The other thing that the wind does is to prevent the cold-air drainage and microclimates from setting up.  So, the difference between IAD and DCA is always going to be muted in CAA scenarios because IAD also will not be able to form their ridiculous cold-pool inversion.

5 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I don’t know if there’s any literature about it, but I started dabbling with a project in grad school that would have shown that UHI is minimized during cold air advection as opposed to basic radiational cooling. Never got very far with it, but I think last night is a good demonstration of that idea.

yep - that's the only way NYC cools off at night in the winter.  Otherwise you get like 5-6 degree diurnal temperature variation lol.  DCA is similar but it's not quite as profound.  NYC is nuts.  Without a fresh fetch of cold air coming down the Hudson your low is maybe a degree or two off from the temp at, say, 5pm.  Often times it goes up a couple of degrees between 2am and sunrise.

The above also creates some obscene temps differences between the city and even some close-in suburbs.  I remember once leaving the city on a chilly morning (temp was around 20F) - we had to go out to Warren NJ for work (which isn't THAT far from the city), and it was around 0F when we got there lol.

2 hours ago, stormy said:

Low of 9.1 at 7 am.     Record low at Staunton since 1893 was 10 in 1967.

yeah you guys have been really having some cold nights.  I don't recall many single digits in Nov or even into most of Dec.  Of course, last Christmas we were driving down on that day the massive cold front came through, and we arrived in Staunton to temps of 3-4F (and I believe it did get below 0F).  It's a lot colder there than folks realize on winter nights.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:55 PM, WxUSAF said:

If BWI has an average temp of 32 tomorrow (high of 40 low of 24), there were only a handful of colder days in the Nov 22-March 23 cold season.

High of 40 and low of 23 at BWI today.  Only 6 days in November 2022-March 2023 were as cold or colder by mean daily temperature.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

RECORD WATCH: Calendar year snowfall ranks to date. IAD will attain the record with 1.4" or less snowfall in December, while PHL and MDT will attain records with 1.8" or less snowfall in December. Richmond and Norfolk can tie with no measurable snowfall in December. The record is already out at DCA as 2020 saw only 0.2" at that location.

IAD [Least of 61 years]

image.png.8223b2517d9e43f884e32ba94649c151.png

Full year record is 1.8 inches, set in 1998.

DCA [5th least of 139 years]

image.png.64d0e307a1503faf63289bce7dd2443b.png

Full year record is 0.2 inches, set in 2020 - which has already been exceeded. Second place is 0.5 inches, set in 1998.

RIC [Tied least of 116 years]

image.png.32a2c5f924fc4b0527abb4907d77d883.png

Full year record is a trace, set in 1951.

Norfolk, VA [Tied least of 128 years]

image.png.3f4b2bac6096d99d449524f7c6df1eaf.png

Full year record is a trace set in 7 years, most recently in 2019.

Harrisburg, PA [Least of 135 years]

image.png.de3388a4079fb65dbfa31c5f5c44db57.png

Full year record is 5.7 inches, set in 2006.

Philadelphia, PA [3rd least of 139 years]

image.png.5ea108f8d940ebf08f38fe9697904f47.png

Full year record is 2.1 inches, set in 1913.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic