Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter 2023

George BM

5 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

That is a high bar. They seem to go on for decades.

Okay, I won't be the oldest, but pretty old. In addition to my GUT, I got a seriously bad KNEE from chasing miniature donkeys around. I KNOW when that weather is gonna hit, and when it probably won't. Sun is beginning to peek from between the clouds. Coast got plenty of rain. I suspect we were in a kind of dryslot. Some strong Nino we have here, lol.

EDIT 545pm local time - We may have some shower activity moving in from the west. Just owning up. If we get those showers - My forecast for today was WRONG. I said no rain for today. Should not add  up to much more than a 32nd of an inch though.

6 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

I'm just riffing here guys but stay with me....if it hasn't snowed by easter then i am pretty sure this winter was not good. I mean i could be wrong but it's just a gut feeling

Eh. I'd at least wait until Cinco de Mayo. We were not too far from an event in early May of 2020 when a wave tracked just off to our north followed by some flakes and graupel pellets flying in northern zones on the 9th of that month.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Buda, Texas's average high temps fell into the upper 60s today! It's high time for about a trillion Texas keggers!

MAJOR snow-filled frigid winter is still on track for the Washington Metropolitan Region this low sun season, as well as for the entire Mid Atlantic region! North Florida and Georgia may get into the snowy act as well, but the Mid Atlantic will be particularly hard hit by torrential snows, pivoting defo snows that just dont want to quit, strong wind piling snow all over folks' freshly shoveled driveways and walks, ridiculously intense thundersnows and very very frigid air values that will keep the snowpack around for weeks and weeks! It will get deep as Siberia!

By now many of you want to know: Just what is it that Jebman is smokin'?

You will all be smokin' it too, as you frantically dig not only out of several feet of snow, but also out of huge snow berms that the plow drivers gleefully piled right on all of your driveway entrances, while they scream BANZAI !!, Smokey and the Bandit style!

I'll tell ya one thing: You all will NOT be smokin' cirrus!

• Haha 1

Was just poking around LWX yearly snow totals and was shocked (and not shocked) to see that Dulles got ~20" more than DCA in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015. Threw BWI in the below for the whole picture (apologies for the formatting). I went back and found my post from late March 2014 that said I reached 50" on the year IMBY. Reading through that 2013-2014 snow totals thread was fun...lots of amazing totals!

DCA IAD BWI
2013-2014 32.0 52.8 39.0
2014-2015 18.3 36.9 28.7

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Was just poking around LWX yearly snow totals and was shocked (and not shocked) to see that Dulles got ~20" more than DCA in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015. Threw BWI in the below for the whole picture (apologies for the formatting). I went back and found my post from late March 2014 that said I reached 50" on the year IMBY. Reading through that 2013-2014 snow totals thread was fun...lots of amazing totals!

DCA IAD BWI
2013-2014 32.0 52.8 39.0
2014-2015 18.3 36.9 28.7

was my first winter up north, finished with 70" 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mattie g said:

DCA IAD BWI
2013-2014 32.0 52.8 39.0
2014-2015 18.3 36.9 28.7

I was just over 60” in 13-14 and I’m like <10 miles from BWI. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mattie g said:

DCA IAD BWI
2013-2014 32.0 52.8 39.0
2014-2015 18.3 36.9 28.7

48.3”.  Great year.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I was just over 60” in 13-14 and I’m like <10 miles from BWI. 

That's insane!

I'm a little over 12 miles from DCA and a little over 15 miles from Dulles as the crow flies. Dulles is much more representative of snowfall for me, but theirs is usually a little higher than mine. DCA? Nah...not representative.

26 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

48.3”.  Great year.

What I remember most about both 13-14 and 14-15 was my wife and I standing on our deck enjoying the evening snows while we hoped against hope that our first daughter wouldn't wake up. :lol:

• Like 2

I am going to sound like a serious Debbie and I apologize to everyone. 

But the last few years have jaded me so much wrt models and snow. Yeah yeah, I live in a snow hole. MBY sucks for snow. Micro climate they rivals DCA for pathetic snows and marginal events. 

That said, the amount of hopium already in the LR with it being only Nov just makes me sigh. I just can’t buy in anymore to 180+ hour maps. It literally has to be inside 5 days now to get hype. I wish I wasn’t so jaded. I got a 4x4 in 2021 and I’ve had ONE, one snow event worth using 4 wheel drive. 

Until I see radar lit, temps under 32 up the column, WSWs hoisted I can’t buy into the drooling that gets most fired up. 

I still appreciate all the thoughts and knowledge our Mets and veteran posters give us. I learn a ton from y’all. But man, it’s hard to see what the models spit out at times and not say “ain’t falling for this shit again”

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

But the last few years have jaded me so much wrt models and snow. Yeah yeah, I live in a snow hole. MBY sucks for snow. Micro climate they rivals DCA for pathetic snows and marginal events. 

That said, the amount of hopium already in the LR with it being only Nov just makes me sigh. I just can’t buy in anymore to 180+ hour maps. It literally has to be inside 5 days now to get hype. I wish I wasn’t so jaded. I got a 4x4 in 2021 and I’ve had ONE, one snow event worth using 4 wheel drive. 

Until I see radar lit, temps under 32 up the column, WSWs hoisted I can’t buy into the drooling that gets most fired up. 

I still appreciate all the thoughts and knowledge our Mets and veteran posters. I learn a ton from y’all. But man, it’s hard to see what the models spit out at times and not say “ain’t falling for this shit again”

I've been able to scrape together some hopium but completely understandable POV I  think a lot of us relate to

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, H2O said:

I still appreciate all the thoughts and knowledge our Mets and veteran posters give us. I learn a ton from y’all. But man, it’s hard to see what the models spit out at times and not say “ain’t falling for this shit again”

Definitely understand, MAYBE this year will break your way :) 

• Like 1

Check out the Main Lodge at Mammoth!!!!!! It is POURING snow!!!

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge

I checked out the radar! There is PLENTY of moisture upstream of the resort, and they got 11,000 foot PLUS orography going for them! Who needs to make snow, when you have a big moisture-loaded Pacific storm upstream! Pile it up! PILE IT UP! Who let tha dogs out? WOOF WOOF WOOF! 

This is The Jebman! I am your one stop shop for all things snow at the western ski resorts lol!

And, in the Mid Atlantic! Those folks are gonna get BURIED as well!

I love snow SO MUCH, I got my laptop pouring snow, and the 12.5 inch TABLET pouring snow in high def! It's fun! I am playing some of my most heartfelt tracks that reminded me of snow over the decades, many of which I played while jebwalking in deep north Virginia snows, often forced to walk backwards against the blinding snow rates and a stiff frigid Vodka Cold northeasterly wind! Many times I fervently wished for professional ski goggles!

It is now snowing at Palisades as well, at the 6200' and 8200' levels.

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowenOutThere said:

@CAPE I got to use your pfp for an example of -NAO blocking on an AP environmental science worksheet today and how it sets up colder conditions on the east coast. It was all about how NAO and el nino/nina affects the weather and I've never been so ready for an assignment in my life.

Awesome. I bet you were ready given all the discussion about atmospheric blocking and ENSO on this forum. That pic is a composite from Dec 1 to Feb 15 iirc, during the epic 2009-10 season ofc.

• Like 1

Just now, CAPE said:

Awesome. I bet you were ready given all the discussion about atmospheric blocking and ENSO on this forum. That pic is a composite from Dec 1 to Feb 15 iirc, during the epic 2009-10 season ofc.

yeah, mentioned which year it was in the assignment and how it was DCA's snowiest. Best part of the class is there was another kid who was interested in meteorology. The teacher asked about how nino was going to influence our snowfall which was a fun discussion.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic