• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

I am NOT predicting anything based on this...but since some want to know what the "book" says... I found some of my old records...using my data back to 2006 then a local coop here back to 1958...

These are just the numbers....

If I get 1" by Dec 1
DCA Avg 21"
Prob of 30" 24%
Prob of 20" 48%
Prob of 10" 81%
If I don't get 1" by Dec 1
DCA Avg 14"
Prob of 30" 11%
Prob of 20" 20%
Prob of 10" 58%
No snow by Dec 10
DCA Avg 12"
Prob of 30" 6%
Prob of 20" 18%
Prob of 10" 53%
No snow by Dec 20
DCA Avg 9"
Prob of 30" 0
Prob of 20" 9%
Prob of 10" 47%

And it gets REALLY ugly if I make it to January without snow up here...like REALLY REALLY REALLY ugly... 

Again...I am not predicting anything...this is just what the statistics say, take it however you want.  

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am NOT predicting anything based on this...but since some want to know what the "book" says... I found some of my old records...using my data back to 2006 then a local coop here back to 1958...

These are just the numbers....

If I get 1" by Dec 1
DCA Avg 21"
Prob of 30" 24%
Prob of 20" 48%
Prob of 10" 81%
If I don't get 1" by Dec 1
DCA Avg 14"
Prob of 30" 11%
Prob of 20" 20%
Prob of 10" 58%
No snow by Dec 10
DCA Avg 12"
Prob of 30" 6%
Prob of 20" 18%
Prob of 10" 53%
No snow by Dec 20
DCA Avg 9"
Prob of 30" 0
Prob of 20" 9%
Prob of 10" 47%

And it gets REALLY ugly if I make it to January without snow up here...like REALLY REALLY REALLY ugly... 

Again...I am not predicting anything...this is just what the statistics say, take it however you want.  

Alright sir, in the event that you reach the 1 inch mark, you are hereby contractually obligated to notify all of us the minute it happens :)

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i want to see if we can get that wave breaking -NAO to keep showing up, similar to what the OP GFS has been doing. those blocks are flukier than traditional retrograding Scandinavian blocks, but they work all the same

i mean, talk about loaded. this is a December airmass with blocking. just want to see that -NAO show up more on ensembles

gfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-1237600.thumb.png.09b9e7dd88dc421741cbab165e89a223.png

-epo/+pna ftmfw....pna will almost always trump a really good Atlantic side. The look out west is of utmost importance. Nice disco gents.

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

For BWI, first 1" or more happened December 14, 1995, 1.0", December 5, 2002, 7.5", and December 5, 2009, 1".

You can go to the NowData for DCA if you want.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/Climate?wfo=lwx

Love your Calvin & Hobbes avatar. They loved snow and so do I. Interesting how our two best El Nino winters both followed the December 5th rule.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If we want to be Nino specific, These are the DCA snowfall averages in Nino winters based on when I get my first 1" of snow here

1" by Dec 1 22"
No snow by Dec 1 19"
no snow by Dec 10 15"
no snow by Dec 20 12"

Didn’t you say you got about an inch in the last week or so?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

For BWI, first 1" or more happened December 14, 1995, 1.0", December 5, 2002, 7.5", and December 5, 2009, 1".

You can go to the NowData for DCA if you want.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/Climate?wfo=lwx

Surprised neither of those events in November 1995 amounted to an inch at BWI.  Thought I remembered more snow than that when I was living in that area.

Yeah EPS like the other ensembles are pretty cold after the midweek storm next week. Certainly upslope and lake effect will kick in at times. Doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility to get some frozen precip east of the mountains if things shake out right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Didn’t you say you got about an inch in the last week or so?

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

I asked him that yesterday and he said it was too warm to amount more than maybe a trace

It's snowed twice up here so far...but ground temps were well above freezing both times.  The first the most we ever got was a slight whitening of the ground during one heavy burst.  The second no accumulation at all.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

It's snowed twice up here so far...but ground temps were well above freezing both times.  The first the most we ever got was a slight whitening of the ground during one heavy burst.  The second no accumulation at all.  

what are you complaining about then? youve got snow twice already and it was just halloween 11 hours ago...your well on your way bro

• Haha 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic