Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

All along we said the red maples looked good and they do. Everything eye ugly yellow and browns. Lack luster year 

It’s not just the red maples…there’s good color. Not spectacular…but good. Much better than what it looked to be 2-4 wks ago. Point is, it wasn’t gonna be rushed. 

The cool down won’t be either. 

12 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

you should take a ride on rt202 between Belchertown and Orange.. Spectacular right now

I travel all over New England. Overall it’s been a down foliage year. Certain species have good color and yes now is the best it’s looked. But overall it’s been a drab, lackluster year 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I travel all over New England. Overall it’s been a down foliage year. Certain species have good color and yes now is the best it’s looked. But overall it’s been a drab, lackluster year 

Agreed.   But even a lackluster year has some good moments.   

Cheer up Buttercup

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s not just the red maples…there’s good color. Not spectacular…but good. Much better than what it looked to be 2-4 wks ago. Point is, it wasn’t gonna be rushed. 

The cool down won’t be either. 

I drove over the Kancamagus coming to Maine Friday and was surprised that there was still some good foliage all along the way. As @powderfreakpointed out, it’s was the understory trees and bushes that were putting on the show. Lots of good oranges and yellows closer to the ground. The main trees are in full stick season mode. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I don’t think it’s really a cold fail? Possibly just delayed for a day or two…maybe not at all. Details aside, it’s still a similar look with the cold spilling into the Plains and eventually getting advected into the region around the flip of the month.

Yeah that hasn’t changed. At least on ensembles.

Ski resorts snow guns put on hold is basically what the cold down fail does for ski folk.
 hopefully anything cuts to Chicago and gives us warmth without rain soaked days  

Killington starts blowing early next week and is open on the north ridge by the weekend. Nothing has changed. No one else besides maybe SR would have seriously considered opening yet. I bet all major resorts turn on guns above 2500 midweek if there’s a 72 hour window.

This shows the progression of the back off we’ve seen. It’s now 75-80 for 4-5 days and the mild down is pushed to Nov 3.. and the cold dumps to the west of apps.. and is delivered into the NE on sw flow. That trajectory is greatly modified. This is assuming Euro is correct 

https://x.com/seckhardt/status/1716086699145511332?s=46&t=dhcbvkjmRcyBVQtDxJ3lRg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t really see much of a change. It wasn’t this cold shot that supposed to hang around for days. Most of us said it’s transient. Winter starts in the plains shortly after.

It was never going to be long lasting. The N pac rex block causing the -pna and the subsequent flip to cold is only going to last 5 days, so both warm and cold are going to be transitory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I don’t think it’s really a cold fail? Possibly just delayed for a day or two…maybe not at all. Details aside, it’s still a similar look with the cold spilling into the Plains and eventually getting advected into the region around the flip of the month.

Telecon spread's still hitting it pretty hard.  Not willing to sell just yet.  Yesterday I did an op ed discussing early Novie as a cold signal in the winter thread - those aspect/points are all still valid from what I'm seeing since.

We'll see how it lines up. The above index spread ( from all sources, too) is a pretty solid canonical evolution that typically ends well for cold and storm enthusiasts from late N through F.

This early in the ensuing cold season?  mmm can present certain challenges to delivery.  To mention, the model volatility during transition seasons ... These caveats were included. 

I've noticed in recent years ( since mid aughts) that these entire ensemble weighted index mode projections are more unstable than they were in the 1990s. I've seen more chunks of days where they are showing good continuity for a warm(cool) biased pattern, suddenly reverse and/or just slip a lot of magnitude from seeming no forcing too.  It's rattled confidences in the technology suite a little. yup. Hypothesis:  fast flow/velocity saturation with additional hemispheric scaled gradient is causing that. Add this caveat,too -

People are grousing lol. 

I'd say we've already moved the CC needle enough to damage our winters. That is, compared to those Rockwellian vibes that well-up from the catacombs of our memories to early life, in the relative sense.  It's actually a testament to the rapidity in which this shit's happening. Like ... in a single life time. Those with a will to be unbiased, however successful notwithstanding ... might happen to sense that's the case:  something is definitely fucked up.

That all said, I don't believe winter's are FUBAR, either.  There'll still be plenty of cold air around at times.  There will be storms that avail of it. But there will also be storms that don't time so well, AND, I feel we've prooobably crossed a threshold in CC where these latter event profiles have silently become more frequent.  Set expectations around that being the case, and let the dice roll -  

• Like 1